It begins today...but...

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2007
      Unsurprisingly I'm enthused for the NFL season to begin even though my Patriotic inclinations don't really count it until Sunday when we play.  That said there are two thoughts that I'm letting slip into the day.

      On the remorseful side I was reminded by the NFL Network today of our last loss in the Championship game.  They suggested Adelius Thomas will make a significant difference and part of that is he'll replace Willie McGinest for the key plays in that game.  Certainly the notion of Thomas' addition entices me but at the same time I somehow lost track of the absence of Willie in that game and wanted to give him his props that just maybe he'd have helped us find a way as he did several times against the Colts.

      When the Pats won the 2003 Superbowl they started a Thursday night tradition of opening the season.  Our first foe was the Colts and "Money" Vanderjerk managed to help us net a win after Branch nearly handed over the tie.  The following year we did it again and a Colts rematch seemed likely when Tony Dungy showcased impressive cowardice, whining and embarassing levels of  pathetic quotations by going public with his belief it was unfair his Colts had to play New England at the start of the season.  Polian pulled strings and the league complied sending us the Raiders.  A tragid end to a tradition of getting a high end grudge match each year.

      Thus it is that tonight we don't watch our Pats enact revenge on the Colts  but rather get Peyton worship of the worst kind in his home and his former home.  There will be so much Manning love I'll want to shut off the volume but alas I can't get away with that.  Instead I'll just hope that Drew (no the other one) will bring us the Colts first of many losses this season.

      Don't get me wrong, unlike many on these lists, I admire Peyton when he's not whining on the field (yeah those few short moments).  I laugh at his commercials and generally think he's not only talented but has a fantastic work ethic that warrants his many wins and much acclaim.  I despise Polian, Dungy and the over-infatuation that will be tonight's opening.  I'll remind myself regularly that Dungy's cowardice made this not a Patriotic opening but one which next year I hope nobody can keep us out of...

    • Don Diamant
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2007
        I don't see how Adalius Thomas would have been a significant factor to help
        us beat the Colts last year. He would not have been a factor in the 3rd and
        long situation where Assante Samuel received a pass interference call that
        later after the game the officials admitted was a mistake and he wouldn't
        have been a factor in the pass interference call against Ellis Hobbs, also a
        3rd and long situation, that the NFL itself admitted was a mistake. I'm
        glad we picked up Thomas and I think he will have an impact I just don't
        think he would have changed the final outcome last year in any way. Last
        year is over and I'm looking forward to this year, we are not the champs and
        we haven't won a game this year. I'm looking forward to the next 16 one
        week seasons. :)

        Don

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 6, 2007
          Let's see, how might he have helped us... I'm not sure if you noticed the Colts repeatedly passing over Alexander or running up the gutt on our fatigued crew.  Sure the Pats received some tough calls but they also let the Colts manhandle them in a way that might have made those two plays far more obsolete when they allowed an 18 point lead to slip out of their grasp.

          I also remember McGinest getting to Manning a few times and think Thomas might do that once or twice if we are lucky...but for now...I'll settle for Pennington :)

          I'll take the help of Thomas this year!

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 6, 2007
            You're argument is valid but they would have had to completely shutdown the
            Colts with Thomas responsible for the big play making for that to happen.
            We have only shutdown the Colts once with McGinnest and it was at home in
            the cold and snowing. All the other wins were very close wins.

            With Rodney and Seymour out I think we are going to get a chance to see what
            Adalius can really do. I really do hope he is a big play maker because for
            the next few weeks we really are going to need the help, more so in my
            opinion for our "soft" secondary.

            Don

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 6, 2007
              ***** Speaking of which, I wonder what his percentage is for fumbling on
              those rare occasions when a defender breaks away from an un-called hold by
              the Colts OL, and sacks him? It seems to me that he fumbles a fairly high
              percentage of the time when he gets hit. But maybe that's just because I
              enjoy seeing it so much that it sticks with me! ;-)

              ***** Did you see the un-called grabbing of the helmet, and finger in the
              eye, against Brees a while ago in this game? Think that would have gone
              un-called against Pouting Peyton?

              George
              Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!