Re: Rodney's Statement

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2007
      I have the utmost respect for Rodney, as a player and as a person.
      He's been terrific on the field and off, with his play and all the
      help he's given to younger players. But, I cut him no slack on this.
      It was a stupid thing to do; for his health, his reputation, and for
      the impact it has to the team on the field.

      He has discussed performance enhancers before. I remember him saying
      that he always takes any new supplements to the training staff first,
      so they can determine if it's legal to use before taking anything.
      Very hypocritical of him, and I'm very disappointed. I understand why
      he did it, but as you said, the risk vs reward doesn't wash. He made a
      mistake, and he's paying for it, so I won't condemn him. But it is
      awfully disappointing.

      > ***** Like Rodney, I am very disappointed in his decision. I am
      absolutely
      > certain that it was driven by his competitive spirit. He wanted to get
      > himself back onto the field as soon as possible. Unfortunately, that
      desire
      > was so strong that it overcame his common sense, and led him to take a
      > chance (on being caught) where the risk (a 4-game suspension)
      outweighed the
      > reward (perhaps a 2-3 week difference in getting back on the field).
      >
      > ***** As he usually does, he handled the results with class. I'll
      hate not
      > having him out there for 4 games. But I remain a staunch fan of Rodney
      > Harrison, the football player, and the man. Had this been for
      marijuana or
      > cocaine, or even a true steroid, I'd feel very differently. But, as
      I said,
      > I think I understand, and applaud, his motivation for doing it;
      while still
      > being disappointed in his inability to resist it, and stick with
      approved
      > methods of healing.
      >

      > George
      > Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

      I'm very,
      > very embarrassed by it. I'm disappointed in myself and to any young
      person,
      > any high schooler, any college athlete I sent the wrong message with my
      > actions. And I would ask and I would want to be the example for them to
      > never jeopardize what they believe in and never jeopardize their
      health. And
      > they always have to love themselves."
      > Harrison also said he wanted to apologize to the Patriots
      organization and
      > its fans.
      >
      > Steve

    • Don Diamant
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2007
        I think it's great that the league has a substance abuse policy but I don't
        think they mete it out fairly. Ricky Williams is a pothead and isn't
        allowed to play but Michael Irving is a cokehead and gets put in the hall of
        fame, there's nothing fair about that.

        Don