RE: Rodney's Statement

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2007
      ***** Like Rodney, I am very disappointed in his decision. I am absolutely
      certain that it was driven by his competitive spirit. He wanted to get
      himself back onto the field as soon as possible. Unfortunately, that desire
      was so strong that it overcame his common sense, and led him to take a
      chance (on being caught) where the risk (a 4-game suspension) outweighed the
      reward (perhaps a 2-3 week difference in getting back on the field).

      ***** As he usually does, he handled the results with class. I'll hate not
      having him out there for 4 games. But I remain a staunch fan of Rodney
      Harrison, the football player, and the man. Had this been for marijuana or
      cocaine, or even a true steroid, I'd feel very differently. But, as I said,
      I think I understand, and applaud, his motivation for doing it; while still
      being disappointed in his inability to resist it, and stick with approved
      methods of healing.

      George
      Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2007
        I have the utmost respect for Rodney, as a player and as a person.
        He's been terrific on the field and off, with his play and all the
        help he's given to younger players. But, I cut him no slack on this.
        It was a stupid thing to do; for his health, his reputation, and for
        the impact it has to the team on the field.

        He has discussed performance enhancers before. I remember him saying
        that he always takes any new supplements to the training staff first,
        so they can determine if it's legal to use before taking anything.
        Very hypocritical of him, and I'm very disappointed. I understand why
        he did it, but as you said, the risk vs reward doesn't wash. He made a
        mistake, and he's paying for it, so I won't condemn him. But it is
        awfully disappointing.

        > ***** Like Rodney, I am very disappointed in his decision. I am
        absolutely
        > certain that it was driven by his competitive spirit. He wanted to get
        > himself back onto the field as soon as possible. Unfortunately, that
        desire
        > was so strong that it overcame his common sense, and led him to take a
        > chance (on being caught) where the risk (a 4-game suspension)
        outweighed the
        > reward (perhaps a 2-3 week difference in getting back on the field).
        >
        > ***** As he usually does, he handled the results with class. I'll
        hate not
        > having him out there for 4 games. But I remain a staunch fan of Rodney
        > Harrison, the football player, and the man. Had this been for
        marijuana or
        > cocaine, or even a true steroid, I'd feel very differently. But, as
        I said,
        > I think I understand, and applaud, his motivation for doing it;
        while still
        > being disappointed in his inability to resist it, and stick with
        approved
        > methods of healing.
        >

        > George
        > Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

      • Don Diamant
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2007
          I think it's great that the league has a substance abuse policy but I don't
          think they mete it out fairly. Ricky Williams is a pothead and isn't
          allowed to play but Michael Irving is a cokehead and gets put in the hall of
          fame, there's nothing fair about that.

          Don