Re: [patriotzip] Tomase on Samuel

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28 10:45 AM
      I think that when Seymour held out he started a trend of players thinking that was a solid method of handling the Patriots if necessary.  I think Branch expanded this approach and finally I think there is a case that leads players to think carefully about this practice.

      I certainly support a player to play for whatever they can get and to use the system to their advantage though I'll appreciate players who can appreciate value to the entire atmosphere in Foxboro and give that some value in their negotiations.  The fact is the Pats do pay some players pretty well but no doubt we have a value and don't deviate from that even if other places would pay a player more.

      Assante is more of a mercenary in the seeming than he was one year ago and will potentially have a tougher time presenting his bonds and commitment to his teamates but if he plays well that's all anyone will care about and next year the franchise tender is worth more and he may have a better bargaining point for negotiations with the Pats directly.  Meanwhile I have no worries that he'll have trouble feeding his family at 7+ Million per year.  He made the right choice to shopw up and collect his checks now let's hope the one year term entices him to work and play hard (and well).