Another "What if..."

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2007
      From John Tomase in the Herald. My only reaction is, "Duh!"

      < FOXBORO - Ellis Hobbs [stats] has insisted since the AFC title game
      loss to the Colts that he was improperly flagged for pass interference
      in the end zone. The league not only agrees with him, it let him know it.

      Hobbs received a letter during the offseason apologizing for the
      blown call, which led to the touchdown that tied the game at 21 in the
      third quarter.

      "It's a little late for that now," Hobbs said with a sigh. >

      No kidding.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2007
        ***** I have always said that PI should be reviewable under the challenge rules. I know, some people say it's too subjective. My position on it is that if it can be defined in the rules, which it is, then it can be judged in replay. A replay can clearly show whether or not a defender touched the intended receiver, and, although with less certainty, whether he truly interfered with the receiver's opportunity to catch the ball. ("Acting" can sometimes cloud the latter.)

        ***** My reason for wanting this is that it is may be the single most potentially game-changing call in the game. Unfortunately, that proposal was shot down by the Competition Committee this year. I hope it comes up again next year. It must not be left to such outrageous errors as this one, which may have cost us another trip to the Super Bowl. We all saw it, and screamed at it in that game. Had it been reviewed, it surely would have been overturned.

        George
        Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2007

          Yeah, and that wasn’t the only blown call that went against us…

          Don