Pack Your Bags

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2007
      ***** Interesting piece in the Dallas Morning News about the possibility of
      future international play for all NFL teams. Take a look.

      NFL in Europe
      One NFL GM told me he could see the NFL adopting a 17-game schedule, thus
      reducing the preseason to three games. That 17th game would neither be home
      nor away - it would be played on a neutral, international field.
      The NFL begins regular-season play internationally this season with the
      Dolphins and Giants squaring off in London in October.
      If the NFL expands the schedule to a 17th game, all 32 teams would play an
      international game. It may be four international games per week for the span
      of a month, or two international games per week for the span of two months.
      But it would keep playoff contention on a level field because all teams
      would still play eight home games and eight on the road.
      Each of the 32 teams would have their bye the weekend following the
      international game.
      Make no mistake about it - international games are here to stay as the NFL
      attempts to promote its brand globally. Canada, Mexico, Europe, South
      America, China and Japan all could be in the mix. One NFL owner told me not
      to be surprised if a Super Bowl is played in China during my lifetime.

      ***** Now, I find the concept interesting, when taken out of NFL season
      context. But I see significant problems for coaches in avoiding serious
      distraction for at least some of the players on their roster. The stronger
      coaches (do we know any of those?) will probably ensure that most, if not
      all, of their players handle it. But, since this game will apparently count
      in the standings, the distraction potential could cost some teams dearly.

      ***** Aside from that issue, however, the plan presented here sounds very
      reasonable. It does, indeed, keep the playing field level; allows for
      recovery from jet lag; and promotes the game worldwide. Not an unreasonable
      plan, given the commitment the league has made to going global.

      ***** My only serious objection to everything presented in the article is
      the possibility of an overseas Super Bowl. That would really suck. Of
      course, the NFL has already pretty much taken the game away from the average
      fan anyway, due to the combination of the ticket sale policies, and the
      ticket prices. So, I guess playing overseas isn't really that much of a
      departure for the average fan. TV coverage looks the same regardless of the
      stadium location. It's the NFL host cities that will take it in the shorts
      if they do this. The Super Bowl is worth millions to the host city.

      George
      Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!