Assante Perspective - Much Ado About Nothing

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2007
      I admit it - I was hopeful that something would get done today by the deadline.  According to Reiss it never really became close and ultimately today passed with no updates.

      Assante is a good cornerback and I'd love to have him playing for us at that spot this year.  I certainly  find his "Get Paid" tattoo to be distasteful but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to have him working hard on the team this year.  Certainly we are likely to able to manage without him but we'd be considerably better with him - presuming he comes ready to work and prepare.

      So where are we with Assante?

      We don't know - that's what most bothers me about today's passing.  He could show up for camp, skip camp, skip until week 10 or skip the whole season.  I think skipping the whole season is the least likely but I've no idea whether he's willing to sacrifice everything until week 10.  I'll have to ultimately refresh my recollections on how his roster management will work if he doesn't show but I'll wait until he doesn't show for training camp and see what that brings about for news articles and quotes.  I really hope that someone gets in touch with him this week and learns his plan - I certainly know that the uncertainty will bother me most of all going into the training camp.

      My hope at this point is that he shows up for camp and decides to make this season work while collecting his 7.79 million every week.  I'm not sure when (if at all) he'd have to sign the franchise offer but  if he played hard, took the money and set up for this again next  year it may be the best possible result for us at this late point.

      If he put together another  solid season like last year he'll raise the money significantly though what the Pats do on that is and will be unclear until then.  Showing up at week 10 will have me seriously question whether he's ready for this team at that point and while I'd love to have him climb on board in time for the playoff run having him here all along is the optimum.