Re: BINGO!

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2007

      Caldwell had a very good season but really had some notable drops in the playoffs.  As Chris Woods pointed out, this team does tend to reward production and Caldwell was solid for the season.  Meanwhile Gaffney signed late and got stronger and stronger with an excellent playoff run.  The two aren't on a par with our high end talent right now but they are in the fight for the roster spots.

      I believe it was Tom Curran who observed that Kelly Washington dropped a lot of passes in mini-camp and if the time between mini camp and training camp doesn't refocus Washington he could go the way he went for the Bengals and be one of the surprise cuts.

      I think the only lock at WR at this point is Welker - Moss and Stalworth have deals that could be cut readily and must show the behavior and dedication.  Brown is aging seriously at this point and will have to earn a spot as well as not having someone surprise him out of a job - unlikely but Welker is the only one of the crew I think is a lock.

      My thoughts:

      Welker - Lock

      Stalworth - 95%

      Moss 90%

      Brown 80% (how appropriate)

      Caldwell 75%

      Gaffney 70%

      Washington 60%

      Jackson 40%

      the rest of the camp fodder and practice squad folk are all at 10% or less imo.

      Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 12:45 AM

      Subject: RE: BINGO!

      We'll have to see what happens in TC but for all his failings Caldwell for the most part out played Gaffawney, to some extent.

      Don

      No Jackson fan, we got more out of Bethel Johnson, but BB seems to think he's worth keeping around so we'll see...

      I think Troy Brown is the only lock so far.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2007

        I think that is a good list but I’m not convinced that Troy isn’t a lock and it’s due entirely to his big play ability and his versatility.  With Troy we have a 5th receiver that is capable of making a big play when needed, we have a backup cornerback that is capable of decently manning the coverage, we have a back up punt returner, a back up kick returner, and an emergency quarterback.  I can definitely see Bill Belichick using a spot on the team on a player with that kind of versatility.  The only way I see Troy Brown not making the team is if he is physically unable to perform any longer, if he has lost a few more steps.

        Don

        Jacob W. Michaels wrote:
        > Herald's reporting that Troy 's coming back for another year. I think that's
        > great. He's going to go down as one of the all-time favorite Patriots, I
        > think, and he'll be a great role-model and example of the Patriots way for
        > some of our newer receivers.
        >
        > It does however add to the incredible glut at that spot:
        >
        > Troy Brown
        > Reche Caldwell
        > Bam Childress
        > Chris Dunlap
        > Jabar Gaffney
        > Chad Jackson
        > C.J. Jones
        > Kelvin Kight
        > Randy Moss
        > Jonathan Smith
        > Donte’ Stallworth
        > Kelley Washington
        > Wes Welker
        >
        > As the Herald notes, we'll probably keep six. Assuming Brown, Welker, Moss
        > and Stallworth are locks, that leaves two spots for the rest -- probably to
        > be decided between Washington, Caldwell and Gaffney (the latter two of whom
        > came on last year and I think would be really good receivers farther down the
        > depth chart). And that's not even to mention Chad Jackson, who I think the
        > team might try to hide on PUP even if he might otherwise be able to play. Of
        > course, injuries are always a possibility and could thin out this area, but
        > chances are we're going to be getting rid of some talent.
        >
        > Jacob

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13, 2007
          I agree that Welker is the only lock on the list. He's a 100% Patriots
          kind of guy, with a proven track record. The only disagreement I might
          have is that I might give an edge to Gaffney over Caldwell. Caldwell
          had a career year in some respects because Tom didn't have a lot of
          options. He almost became the go-to guy by default. Just an
          observation, but I think the difference was down the stretch, and in
          the playoffs. Gaffney raised his game when the stakes were highest,
          Caldwell seemed to buckle under the pressure. How they do in camp and
          pre-season will obviously be the determining factor.

          I imagine they will find a spot for Troy, unless he really has lost a
          couple steps, or can't stay healthy. I'm sure he's not being paid
          much, for the value he brings to the team.

          Jackson will go on PUP, and his future with the team will be
          determined after game 6. If someone goes down, or is underachieving,
          they'll bring him back. He still has a shot, since Moss and Stallworth
          have such heavy contract numbers after this year. I can't imagine that
          they would both be back.

          Chris Dunlap???

          fdb

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13, 2007
            Cecil pointed out on the Bosco list that there is significant salary disparity in favor of keeping Gafney.  Your points are well taken though Caldwell made the clutch catch in the San Diego game which enabled hte ieldoal to beat them.  Still there's no doubt in my mind that both of these guys as third, fourth and fifth optns will excel.

            Three days to (Please!) sign Assante long term.