Tick-Tock!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2007
      ***** In case you missed it.

      Source: Albert Breer, Boston Herald
      We're a week away from the deadline for Asante Samuel to sign a long-term
      deal with the Patriots, slated for 4 p.m. next Monday. So today we'll try
      and put the corner's demands and value in perspective.
      Now, Samuel is looking for a deal with close to $30 million in its first
      three years, to fall in line with the deal Nate Clements reaped in Frisco, a
      contract that will bring the new Niner $29 million between now and 2009. A
      steep price? It sure is. Especially when you look at the Patriots' recent
      payouts.
      Bottom line: Samuel's asking price would put him near the top of the team's
      heap. Right now, Tom Brady <http://www.footballguys.com/BradTo00-1.php> 's
      contract extension (signed in 2005) represents the highest three-year value
      of any Patriot deal, at $40.5 million. Next up is Richard Seymour, whose
      2006 extension included $26.215 million over its first three years, and
      afforded him the chance to hit free agency again in 2010 at age 30.
      Of course, a new CBA dropped into place after Brady signed his deal and the
      cap rose $7 million in 2007 and is projected to go up another $7 million
      next year, to $116 million. So there is inflation to deal with.
      But with Samuel positioning himself aside Clements, it's fair to look at the
      other deals the Patriots have completed during this offseason, and look at
      what the three-year payouts were there for a barometer. This won't include
      guys like Kyle Brady <http://www.footballguys.com/BradKy00-1.php> , Tory
      James and Randy Moss <http://www.footballguys.com/MossRa00-1.php> , who
      signed short-term deals that don't apply. Here they are:
      LB Adalius Thomas: $24.084 million
      WR Donte' Stallworth: $19.6 million
      WR Wes Welker <http://www.footballguys.com/WelkWe00-1.php> : $13.35 million
      WR Kelley Washington <http://www.footballguys.com/WashKe00-1.php> : $8.5
      million
      RB Sammy Morris <http://www.footballguys.com/MorrSa00-1.php> : $6 million
      What these numbers say is that the Patriots are willing to pay up-front
      money. So the issue then becomes what value the team has assigned to Samuel.

      ***** Just the facts, folks. I'm just sticking to the facts. :-)

      ***** On another subject, I read that Dan Patrick is leaving ESPN. His radio
      show will broadcast for the last time on ESPN radio on August 1. Of course,
      I have no access to that, or any other US radio programming, here. But I
      still feel a bit of a loss with Patrick's departure. I listened to his show
      as often as I could, which, since it was on during the morning hours, wasn't
      nearly as often as I would have liked. I enjoyed his work. He says he's
      going to pursue other opportunities.

      George
      Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!