RE: Reiss Quote from Samuels

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
      ***** This statement, at this time, is certainly not the end of a
      possibility for an agreement. As the Globe article stated
      (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/06/05/samuel_s
      ee_you_in_week_10/), it could be a negotiating ploy.

      ***** That said, I would hope that the Patriots learned something from the
      Branch episode last year. They should not, IMO, allow this to carry beyond
      the start of training camp, if that far. They need to have a smooth camp,
      with all starters in place, and working together from day one. So, my
      feeling is that they should put a best and final offer in front of Samuel
      and his leech, and tell them that it must be accepted within the next couple
      of weeks. If it is not, they should try to find a decent trade.

      ***** Reflecting back on that note in Globe a couple of days ago about the
      Supplemental Draft, they should have a final answer from Samuel by the time
      that happens. If he's not signed, I'd say they should go for that CB
      mentioned in the note, using their R1 pick for him. They'll still, of
      course, have the 49ers R1 pick for next year's Draft.

      ***** As for this season, if a trade doesn't include a good starting CB,
      which seems unlikely, it looks like Hobbs on one side, and either Tori James
      or Eugene Wilson on the other, as our CBs. That doesn't seem like a disaster
      to me. It's certainly not as bad as what happened to our WR corps last year.

      ***** I still hope for a quick settlement that will keep Samuel here. But I
      definitely hope that the team will resolve it, one way or the other, within
      the next month or so.

      George
      Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
        As for why they are insulted, this I can sort of
        understand. Insulted is more of a personal term and
        that's a sign of their immaturity but the deal from a
        business perspective is thus:

        Franchise offers by definition have no signing bonus
        which is the only form of guaranteed money in a
        contract. It's While the Franchise tag does guarantee
        them the year's paycheck, it is just that a year. A
        multi-year deal with a big signing bonus gives them
        guaranteed money for futures as well. So economically
        there is a significant hit and that's simply something
        most folks work to avoid (financial diminishings).

        So while it's a lot of money either way and many might
        discuss those merits the primary point is that anyone
        getting less than they think they deserve or could get
        otherwise is going to be a bitg disappointed.

        The insult part may be the real dollars they are
        offering for long term deals. I'm sure he's looking
        at the San Francisco offer as the benchmark while the
        Pats are looking at that as a act of financial
        irresponsibility by a struggling franchise. Somewhere
        in those meetings Pioli is rating Samuel amongst the
        top Corners and Sameuels through his agent is being
        rates as the top corner. They list his deficits while
        Samuels camp list his strengths and in this process is
        room for some 'insult' to be taken.

        It could still work out and this could all be
        posturing but I'm sad it's public (again) and that
        until July 15 we are hopeful but unlikely to get much
        news.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
          The Globe article by Reiss is worth the read. It
          details the options and dates involved for all things.
          In synopsis:

          July 14 at midnight is the deadline for Samuels to
          sign his Franchise offer (7.79 Million for one year).
          After that point he can only make a one year deal
          which can't be extended. By not having signed it yet
          he remains officially a free agent (restricted) and
          thus he cannot be fined for mandatory events but that
          would change by July 15 as noted above.

          After that Samuel could sit out until week 10 being
          fined for mandatory events and not being paid for the
          games he no shows. He could then show up in week 10
          and collect the weekly salary, earn his season
          accruals and all that.

          He could also sit out the entire year and not earn
          those things though the Patriots under stan they
          would still have the option to re-frnchise him one
          more time.

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
            It would be interesting to know how far apart they really are. The
            Pats are certainly a bottom line organization. I can't see them
            being willing to move far off their offer, after they have
            determined what a players value is. At this point one would think
            that they are pretty far down the road with negotiations. I guess
            I'm not optimistic. I don't think sitting out until week 10 serves
            anyone's interests.

            Could the Pats, Samuel, and a third party actually work a trade?
            He's not under contract, so I assume they'd have to strike a deal,
            have him sign the tender, then execute the trade, or something like
            that. The problem is, at this point, no one has enough money left
            for him, if the trade is for a draft pick.

            I don't think the distraction this year would be as bad as Branch
            was. Last year we lost our top 2 receivers, and it was a real
            struggle early on developing good replacements. I think the
            secondary is in better shape this year, than the receiving corp was
            last year.

            I do think it will be resolved before the deadline, one way or
            another.

            fdb

            --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@...>

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
              We can blame BB for the continued rumor and/or
              potential for Wilson. Having played him at CB through
              most of camp last year he had folks thinking about it.

              Honestly in New England's systems BB will play Ty Law
              at Safety and Rodney Harrison at corner when it suits
              him - well probably not playing Ty this year but it
              was a solid example as he did it extensively in a game
              to thwart the Colts.
              Our Safeties and Corners will do some mixing and
              mingling - heck Troy Brown might someday play a few
              snaps at Corner...

              From: "fnordcircle" <fnordcircle@...>
              Why are people always talking about Eugene Wilson
              playing Corner? He's
              spent his entire time in the pros playing safety, it's
              been 4 seasons now
              it's probably time to let that dream die.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
                ***** Valid point, Chris. In fact, yesterday, I forgot to include among the options the one that I told Randy I preferred in an off-list discussion a few days ago. That is putting Meriweather at CB, with Wilson in his regular FS spot. Meriweather did play some CB at Miami, and, so I've read, has the tools to play there. Wilson has always been criticized for having some problems with the quick hip turn required of a CB in cover situations. So I'd really favor a secondary of Hobbs and Meriweather at CB, Harrison at SS, and Wilson at FS. Tori James, Chad Scott, and Artrell Hawkins provide solid veteran depth behind that group; while the best of the kids round out the secondary roster.

                ***** I think there's a very real possibility that, if Wilson is healthy, and shows some of the improvement that should come with experience, the lineup I noted above can actually be at least as good as what we'd have with Samuel. In any case, as I said yesterday, the secondary is not a disaster area without our one year wonder.

              • rockmaul74@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
                  freaking baby.....if he doesnt want 7 million this year to play a kids game, i'll be in foxboro to take his place in a heartbeat

                  **************************************
                  See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
                • Don Diamant
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007

                    Clearly the Patriots made some mistakes with the handling of Branch but they held all the cards and probably never considered that the NFL would step in and force them to give up the upper hand against their will.  If they are smart they let Samuel do what he will and if he decides to hold out until week ten bench him for the rest of the season.  When the season is over franchise him again and let him hold out again.  I think they need to make a statement.  As for Samuel’s comments they are as absurd as Law’s infamous “I gotta eat.”  I can’t believe he’s going to walk away from a nearly 8 million dollar deal for one year.  I just can’t begin to understand that level of greed but perhaps it’s just me.

                    Don

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
                      ***** I don't think you can label this type of action by a player and his leech as greed alone, Don. I think it's a combination of greed and ego. How much of each probably varies with each player, and each leech.

                      ***** Players like Bruschi and Brady surely have their egos under better control than players like Branch and Samuel. Players, like all of us, differ as to the importance they place on "mo' money", beyond some very subjective level. Some players see their (public) contract numbers as the most important public declaration of their level of success. Others measure it differently. Right and wrong? I don't think there is a right and wrong in this. It's a matter of personal philosophy.

                      ***** Leeches also differ in their approach to thier job, and the responsibilities that come with it. Some appear to be most concerned with enhancing their own reputations, and, in their view, increasing their client base as a result. All certainly have to give some importance to that, since it's their livelihood. But the weight which they appear to place on that, compared to the weight they place upon what is truly best for their client, is as varied as any other personal philosophy. Unlike the players, however, I feel that there is some degree of "right and wrong" with leeches, since they do have a moral responsibility to their clients. Some of them, in my opinion, ignore that responsibility.

                      ***** In any case, I think there are few, if any, of the leeches who have any concern at all for what is best for the team. Some players do feel some obligation in that direction, again, to varying degrees.

                      ***** In the end, everybody has to look out for #1. The question in negotiations always comes down to the weight that is placed upon that primary concern by all 3 parties involved: the team, the player, and the leech. There are an incredible number of alternate outcomes as a result of those variables. But at least the players and management, as a group, bring something to the game itself. The leeches, on the other hand, add nothing of value for us, the fans.