Re: [patriotzip] NPC: Vermont to Secede From Union

  • rockmaul74@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007
      more on this......secession was made unconstitutional by the 14th amendment in the late 1860's (after the civil war ended) if vermont actually did vote to leave the union, the president of the united states could send troops to vermont (legally) to force it's readmission

      **************************************
      See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
    • ps2dad
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007
        --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, rockmaul74@... wrote:

        > more on this......secession was made unconstitutional by the 14th
        amendment
        > in the late 1860's (after the civil war ended) if vermont actually
        did vote to
        > leave the union, the president of the united states could send troops
        > vermont (legally) to force it's readmission
        >

        > **************************************
        > See what's free at http://www.aol.com

        As far as I know, only Texas can legally secede from the union. It was
        part of their conditions of accepting statehood. Also, any state that
        secedes from the USA gives up all of the benefits of statehood: federal
        assistance, military protection, etc.
      • Don Diamant
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007

          I think this is getting dangerously close to spam.  Don’t make me use my magic buttons on you now.  Seriously though, if you guys really want to debate Vermont and what impact it may have to this nation if less than .002% of the total populous decides to quit, could you guys take it off list maybe?

          Don

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007
            texas cannot secede from the union after the 14th amendment was passed....it could only secede before it (which it did in early 1861)
            no state is exempt from the constitution

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007
              fine

              See what's free at http://www.aol.com.