Re: [patriotzip] NPC: Vermont to Secede From Union

  • rockmaul74@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007
      i'd notice.
      i'm still pissed they didnt hang jefferson davis and alexander stephens (president and vice president of the confedercy) for treason a 140 years ago....

      **************************************
      See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
    • rockmaul74@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007
        more on this......secession was made unconstitutional by the 14th amendment in the late 1860's (after the civil war ended) if vermont actually did vote to leave the union, the president of the united states could send troops to vermont (legally) to force it's readmission

        **************************************
        See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
      • ps2dad
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007
          --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, rockmaul74@... wrote:

          > more on this......secession was made unconstitutional by the 14th
          amendment
          > in the late 1860's (after the civil war ended) if vermont actually
          did vote to
          > leave the union, the president of the united states could send troops
          > vermont (legally) to force it's readmission
          >

          > **************************************
          > See what's free at http://www.aol.com

          As far as I know, only Texas can legally secede from the union. It was
          part of their conditions of accepting statehood. Also, any state that
          secedes from the USA gives up all of the benefits of statehood: federal
          assistance, military protection, etc.
        • Don Diamant
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007

            I think this is getting dangerously close to spam.  Don’t make me use my magic buttons on you now.  Seriously though, if you guys really want to debate Vermont and what impact it may have to this nation if less than .002% of the total populous decides to quit, could you guys take it off list maybe?

            Don

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007
              texas cannot secede from the union after the 14th amendment was passed....it could only secede before it (which it did in early 1861)
              no state is exempt from the constitution

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007
                fine

                See what's free at http://www.aol.com.