I'm In Favor of Sam Adams

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
      ***** Yes, both of them. ;-)

      ***** Seriously, I think Adams would be a good addition. He'd "only" be
      situational for us, as I see it. Just for short yardage and goal line plays,
      with just occassional relief behind Wilfork. But I'm seeing him and Wilfork
      in the middle on those aforementioned plays, and wondering who could move
      them out of there. Think about a 4-man, short yardage DL of
      Seymour/Wilfork/Adams/Warren. That's a pretty formiddable mountain range to
      cross.

      ***** This would give time for Kareem Brown to learn, assuming that he's got
      the potential that we all hope for. He and Wright could continue to share
      the backup duties on most plays behind Wilfork.

      ***** In case you missed it, the Globe had some comments on the upcoming
      (July) Supplemental Draft, involving the Patriots.

      The NFL will hold its annual supplemental draft in July, and this year's is
      likely to draw more attention than in the past because of Georgia cornerback
      Paul Oliver.
      Oliver had planned to return to Georgia for his senior season, but poor
      grades left him academically ineligible, so he has applied for entry into
      the supplemental draft. The 6-foot, 205-pound Oliver likely would have been
      a first-day selection had he declared for April's draft, with scouts
      particularly impressed by his performance in the regular-season finale
      against Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson (2 catches, 13 yards).
      As for where Oliver will be selected in the supplemental draft, if he runs a
      solid 40-yard dash on his scheduled Pro Day workout June 20, he likely won't
      last past the third round.
      Teams selecting a player in the supplemental draft lose that corresponding
      selection in the next year's regular draft, and clubs such as Dallas and New
      England -- which own two first-round picks each in 2008 -- might be more
      inclined to pull the trigger knowing they already have an additional choice.
      ***** I guess it's not beyond the realm of possibility that we could use one
      of those R1 picks for a promissing CB. Once again, the outcome of the Samuel
      situation, or at least what the Pats think it will be, as of July, could
      affect it. But you do have to wonder about the "academically ineligible"
      issue for this team. BB expects good decisions from his players.
      "Situations. You have to be aware of situations."

      George
      Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2007
        A Brewer and a Patriot"
        Clearly printed on most labels but alas despite the
        pedigree, Sam didn't come to the Pats early in his
        career. Now I agree he'd be a better back-up for
        Wilfork and a solid addition on Goal Line, I'm not
        sure he's healthy enough to manage joining our team.
        He had a few opportunities in the past but it didn't
        work out in large part because we weren't offering
        enough money. If his financial desires put him into
        range to be one of our backups then I'd be in favor.

        One thing about old vets with enough talent to be
        great support but not enough in the tank to be
        mainstays, they can come in at Vet minimums and
        contend. The challenge is the discerning eyes of
        Bellichick and Pioli to determine whether they do in
        fact have enough to be a worthy addition in that
        light.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2007
          ***** Actually, Randy, if you'll check your Patriots' history, we DID have
          Sam Adams on the team! In fact, I met he, and his unrelated teammate of the
          same surname, Julius, many times back in the 70's. ;-)

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2007
            I am not aware that the Pats are looking at Adams. Is
            there some validity to this?

            NEM

          • jmsweb55
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2007
              NEM,

              the Globe ran something on it Sun. Then they changed a bit on Mon
              when the Denver Post reported he was close to signing with the Broncos.

              Scout.com has the same info in their rumor story (membership required
              though).

              There's some AP news on it as well, but not including the Patriots angle.