Re: Patriots HOF Finalists

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2007
      I would (and will) place my vote with the Steamer
      Stanley Morgan. Coates was a fantastic player and
      possibly carried this team more than Drew and Curtis
      but Morgan had the longevity to earn a little bonus as
      well as leaving with more grace and dignity than
      Coates. Coates was probably a better high end player
      at his position than Stanley but Morgan did hold every
      Pats receiving record when he finally retired and to
      me has managed to epitomize more deeply a Hall of Fame
      Patriot.

      Coates will have my vote someday but not over Morgan.

      As for Burton he was a significant part of Patriot
      history but his numbers and length of career do not
      put him anywhere near on a par with Coates or Morgan.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2007
        ***** I, too, go with Stanley Morgan. I'm among that "elite" group that actually saw all 3 play "live". While Burton was our first "big name" player, he was far from my favorite Pats' RB from the early years. I favor both Jim Nance and Sam Cunningham over him. But the fact that Morgan, as Zip noted, held all those team receiving records at the time of his retirement gives him the nod over those RBs, as well as over Coates, at this point.

        George
        Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!