RE: [patriotzip] Re: Troy Brown

    Message 1 of 14 , May 13, 2007
      ***** OOPS! Right you are, Levon.

      George
      Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

      From: patriotzip@yahoogroups.com [mailto:patriotzip@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Levon
      Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 11:11 AM
      To: patriotzip@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [patriotzip] Re: Troy Brown

      Raymond Clayborn (until he

      > became a Raidah!),

      I think you mean Mike Haynes, to the best of my recollection Raymond
      never played for the silver and black.

      --- In patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com, "George" <patswingr@. ..> wrote:

      > ***** Don, nobody is
      suggesting that "we retire the number of every
      player
      > we like." I
      have liked a great many Patriots players over my 47
      years as a
      > fan
      of the team. There are very few for whom I'd support a
      suggestion that
      > their numbers be retired. This honor should only be bestowed upon
      players
      > whose on field performance has made significant
      contributions to
      the success
      > of the team over an extended period of
      time. I believe that Troy
      Brown meets
      > that requirement.
      >
      > ***** By comparison, I liked Sam Cunningham, Raymond Clayborn
      (until he
      > became a Raidah!), John Smith, Stanley Morgan, Ben Coates,
      Willie
      McGinest,
      > and many, many more. But there is no one on that
      list that should,
      IMO, have

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
        Troy has easily earned a very treasured spot in my all time Pats players list.  He's done it all for us and done it all with heart beyond even his considerable talents as well as a quiet dedication to the team.  He's a first ballot Patriots HOF in my mind and yet your question is a valid one even if I dislike the implications in my mind as I think about it.

        Obviously it's all speculation at this point but in my mind he does not replace anyone on the current roster.  If nothing has opened by the end of his 21 day period then I think we might play some roster games.  I'm not certain if our choices can include releasing him but I believe that is a valid option.  I think we do release him if no roster moves have come about naturally.  From that release he remains always close to fill a need right through until the end of the season.

        I think Washington for future potentials may keep his spot whereas I think Brown's future ends this year.  I can't quite justify it in BB world but there was a thought of him suiting up for one game, say the December 23 Dolphins, and making a play to catch a ball, get a roaring ovation and then quietly exit after that game.  Not a typical BB move but then again BB often surprises with moves I wouldn't think of as typical for him.

        I won't be rooting for anyone to get hurt that might give Troy a spot but I'll be enthused about his having a spot if that should unfortunately happen.  That wasn't intended to sound like a Mobster requesting a hit btw!

        Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 9:06 PM
        Subject: Troy Brown

          I've been thinking about Troy since he's started his 21 day window and been wondering how he'll fit into the 53 man roster.  I know there's a lot of sentimentality involved here as what Patriot fan doesn't like Troy "bingo" Brown?  Some might say there's always room for a Troy Brown in a roster.  BB always does what's best for the team when making any decision.  So how would activating Troy make the team better?  Welker isn't going to be replaced at the PR.  Washington isn't just a St player he's actually one of the teams best ST players and is on all non-FG ST teams.  Gaffney, today,  is a better WR, IMO and while he dpesn't play ST's I don't thin Troy is going top replace any current ST players we now have anyway.  So someone tell me just how/where Troy fits into the 53 man roster?

          Steve - wants to be convinced

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
          I think suiting him up for one game, and just getting him a catch,
          to the delight of an admiring crowd, does actually fit into BB's
          world; like Flutie's drop kick and Eckel's TD. Not sentimentality as
          much as his sense of history. Troy has a treasured place in Patriots
          history, and BB is keenly aware of that.

          I fear this may be the only way Troy takes the field again, unless
          there is an injury. Unfortunate that we have such a wealth of talent
          at WR. ;o) Quite the conundrum. I, as all of us, would love to see
          him in the red, white, and blue once more; to see him catch a TD
          pass in SB XLII. But alas, we may have to settle for the great
          memories, and his Patriots HOF celebration.

          "80" - My favorite Patriot.

          fdb

          --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@...>