RE: Troy Brown

    Message 1 of 14 , May 12 1:38 AM
      ***** Don, nobody is suggesting that "we retire the number of every player
      we like." I have liked a great many Patriots players over my 47 years as a
      fan of the team. There are very few for whom I'd support a suggestion that
      their numbers be retired. This honor should only be bestowed upon players
      whose on field performance has made significant contributions to the success
      of the team over an extended period of time. I believe that Troy Brown meets
      that requirement.

      ***** By comparison, I liked Sam Cunningham, Raymond Clayborn (until he
      became a Raidah!), John Smith, Stanley Morgan, Ben Coates, Willie McGinest,
      and many, many more. But there is no one on that list that should, IMO, have
      his number retired.

      George
      Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

      Message 2 of 14 , May 13 9:10 PM
        Raymond Clayborn (until he
        > became a Raidah!),

        I think you mean Mike Haynes, to the best of my recollection Raymond
        never played for the silver and black.

        Message 3 of 14 , May 13 11:37 PM
          ***** OOPS! Right you are, Levon.

          --- In patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com, "George" <patswingr@. ..> wrote:

          > ***** Don, nobody is
          suggesting that "we retire the number of every
          player
          > we like." I
          have liked a great many Patriots players over my 47
          years as a
          > fan
          of the team. There are very few for whom I'd support a
          suggestion that
          > their numbers be retired. This honor should only be bestowed upon
          players
          > whose on field performance has made significant
          contributions to
          the success
          > of the team over an extended period of
          time. I believe that Troy
          Brown meets
          > that requirement.
          >
          > ***** By comparison, I liked Sam Cunningham, Raymond Clayborn
          (until he
          > became a Raidah!), John Smith, Stanley Morgan, Ben Coates,
          Willie
          McGinest,
          > and many, many more. But there is no one on that
          list that should,
          IMO, have
          > his number retired.
          >

          > George
          > Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

          anyone who has ever had to watch the game
          from the
          > "high altitude"
          seats can attest that it is too damn hard to read
          the digits
          > on the
          jerseys now. The thought of smaller jersey numbers gives me
          eye

          cramps just thinking about it.

          > Don

          staff!

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
            Troy has easily earned a very treasured spot in my all time Pats players list.  He's done it all for us and done it all with heart beyond even his considerable talents as well as a quiet dedication to the team.  He's a first ballot Patriots HOF in my mind and yet your question is a valid one even if I dislike the implications in my mind as I think about it.

            Obviously it's all speculation at this point but in my mind he does not replace anyone on the current roster.  If nothing has opened by the end of his 21 day period then I think we might play some roster games.  I'm not certain if our choices can include releasing him but I believe that is a valid option.  I think we do release him if no roster moves have come about naturally.  From that release he remains always close to fill a need right through until the end of the season.

            I think Washington for future potentials may keep his spot whereas I think Brown's future ends this year.  I can't quite justify it in BB world but there was a thought of him suiting up for one game, say the December 23 Dolphins, and making a play to catch a ball, get a roaring ovation and then quietly exit after that game.  Not a typical BB move but then again BB often surprises with moves I wouldn't think of as typical for him.

            I won't be rooting for anyone to get hurt that might give Troy a spot but I'll be enthused about his having a spot if that should unfortunately happen.  That wasn't intended to sound like a Mobster requesting a hit btw!

            Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 9:06 PM
            Subject: Troy Brown

              I've been thinking about Troy since he's started his 21 day window and been wondering how he'll fit into the 53 man roster.  I know there's a lot of sentimentality involved here as what Patriot fan doesn't like Troy "bingo" Brown?  Some might say there's always room for a Troy Brown in a roster.  BB always does what's best for the team when making any decision.  So how would activating Troy make the team better?  Welker isn't going to be replaced at the PR.  Washington isn't just a St player he's actually one of the teams best ST players and is on all non-FG ST teams.  Gaffney, today,  is a better WR, IMO and while he dpesn't play ST's I don't thin Troy is going top replace any current ST players we now have anyway.  So someone tell me just how/where Troy fits into the 53 man roster?

              Steve - wants to be convinced

          • Frank
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
              I think suiting him up for one game, and just getting him a catch,
              to the delight of an admiring crowd, does actually fit into BB's
              world; like Flutie's drop kick and Eckel's TD. Not sentimentality as
              much as his sense of history. Troy has a treasured place in Patriots
              history, and BB is keenly aware of that.

              I fear this may be the only way Troy takes the field again, unless
              there is an injury. Unfortunate that we have such a wealth of talent
              at WR. ;o) Quite the conundrum. I, as all of us, would love to see
              him in the red, white, and blue once more; to see him catch a TD
              pass in SB XLII. But alas, we may have to settle for the great
              memories, and his Patriots HOF celebration.

              "80" - My favorite Patriot.

              fdb

              --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@...>