RE: [patriotzip] Re: Alergic to Rookie LBs

    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2007
      ***** My bad on those specifics, Levon. But my point remains the same. They have consistently passed on one LB or another in the early rounds, and I believe they'd have had more success, or, at the very least, be deeper at the position now, than is the case.

      George
      Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2007
        I think they will be very interested to see who is released during
        camp. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up a vet LB before the
        season starts; someone who can contribute from day one. As has been
        said, rooks have a tough time grasping this defense. They like
        experience at the position.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2007
          Junior absolutely wanted a chance to win a ring and if
          he rehabs successfully he is very likely to look at us
          as a top contender. I'd happily welcome Seau back
          into the mix.

          I think they will be very interested to see who is
          released during
          camp. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up a
          vet LB before the
          season starts; someone who can contribute from day
          one. As has been
          said, rooks have a tough time grasping this defense.
          They like
          experience at the position.

          fdb

          <patswingr@...> wrote:

          > ***** My bad on those specifics, Levon. But my point
          > remains the
          same. They
          > have consistently passed on one LB or another in the
          > early rounds, and I
          > believe they'd have had more success, or, at the
          > very least, be
          deeper at
          > the position now, than is the case.
          >

          > George
          > Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!
          >

          > _____

          To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan
          Group, send an email to:

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2007
            ***** I agree, Randy, that Seau can still contribute on limited number of plays basis. However, I question whether BB will drift that far from his normal requirement for  players to contribute in at least a couple of areas. I certainly wouldn't complain if it happens, as I'm a major Seau fan. I'm just saying that I don't feel that BB will go in that direction.

            <patswingr@. ..> wrote:

            > ***** My bad on
            those specifics, Levon. But my point
            > remains the
            same. They

            have consistently passed on one LB or another in the
            > early rounds, and
            > believe they'd have had more success, or, at the
            > very least,
            be
            deeper at
            > the position now, than is the
            case.

            > George
            > Dogs have masters ... Cats have
            staff!

            href="mailto:patriotzip%40yahoogroups.com">patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com] On

            To: patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com

            George, just a few holes in your theory:

            > 1) Vilma was in the
            2004 draft and went #12, the
            > Pats had no shot to
            > draft
            him
            > 2) Beason went right after our first pick, so unless
            > you
            assume
            > Meriweather would still be there at #28, we didn't

            really have a shot
            > at him either
            >
            > I agree that I was
            hoping that the Pats would get a
            > LB in the 1st
            > round, seeing
            Paul P from Penn State drop to the
            > second round was a
            > surprise
            to me and I thought he would be a good fit
            > for the
            Pats.

            "George" <patswingr@> wrote:

            > > ***** I understand
            that, Brew. But I still think
            > > it would be worth

            investing
            > > a couple of years of development and education in
            > > a kid who has
            > demonstrated
            > > superior athletic
            ability and instincts at the
            > > college level. We
            > draft
            OL's
            > > to develop, why not LBs? Hell, we've been wasting
            > > a roster spot on
            > Marquise
            > > Hill for 3 years! Wouldn't a
            kid like Beason or
            > > Harris, or Vilma
            > last year,
            > > who could all probably shine on STs also, be a
            > > better
            investment?

            > > ***** I will never stop believing that
            highly
            > > rated LBs are well
            > worth a R1,
            > > or at
            least a Day One pick. I have to respectfully
            > > disagree with
            BB
            > on that
            > > one. Obviously, he's succeeded without doing so,
            > > and whether or not
            > he would
            > > have had more
            success if he did so is moot. But I
            > > will continue to

            believe
            > > that to be the case.

            George
            > > Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!
            > >

            > > _____
            > >
            > > From:
            patriotzip@yahoogro

            <mailto:patriotzip% 40yahoogroups. com>
            ups.com

            [mailto:patriotzip@ yahoogro

            <mailto:patriotzip% 40yahoogroups. com>
            ups.com]

            On
            > > Behalf Of David Brunat
            > > Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2007
            10:09 PM
            > > To: patriotzip@yahoogro

            <mailto:patriotzip% 40yahoogroups. com> ups.com

            > > Everyone needs to get over the LB
            thing. BB asks a
            > > lot out of
            > LBs. Too
            > > much for
            a rookie to fit in right away. He prefers
            > > proven NFL LBs

            with
            > > skills he can assess at the proper level. He can

            take these guys
            > and tweek
            > > them into his system. Been
            working so far.

            George <patswingr@> wrote:

            > > ***** Apparently, BB
            is alergic to highly rated
            > > rookie LBs. I am,
            > once
            > > again, disappointed by the Pats failure to select
            > > a highly
            rated LB
            > in R1. I
            > > am most disappointed by the fact that TWO
            such LBs
            > > that I wanted to
            > see
            > > wearing
            Patriots uniforms will now be lining up
            > > against us twice a

            year as
            > > New York Jets.
            > >
            > > ***** I'm
            referring to Jonathan Vilma, who I
            > > wanted last year, and

            David
            > > Harris, who was there for us with our second pick
            > > in R1 (or some
            > trade up
            > > into the top of R2).
            > >
            > > ***** I'm satisfied with the value we got for our
            > > #28 pick from the
            > 49ers.
            > > But I'd still rather have
            seen us get a promissing
            > > young LB like
            > Harris. Of
            > > course, I have to add the disclaimer that I didn't
            > > see any
            college
            > football
            > > this year; so I wasn't as committed to any
            of the
            > > LBs as I have
            > been in past
            > > years, when
            I had some personal assessment of
            > > their talents. But,

            based upon
            > > what I've read, I'm still sorry we passed on the
            > > position again.
            > Maybe we'll
            > > now go after
            Hartwell, since he's apparently no
            > > longer dealing with

            the
            > > Broncos.
            > >
            > > ***** As for the R3 trade, I
            don't know enough
            > > about the players
            > left at

            that point to doubt the wisdom of the move by BB
            > > and Pioli. We
            are
            > > certainly in great shape for next year's draft

            now, which is
            > supposed to be
            > > a more talented class than
            this one.

            > > ***** Let's see what tomorrow brings. We
            certainly
            > > can't expect any
            > starters
            > > from it.
            But we have the option to take a lot of
            > > shots at some kids

            for
            > > backup/STs/developm ent roles. With 9 picks, and
            > > less time between
            > > selections, it will, at least be more
            exciting
            > > than the 6 hours I
            > spent last
            > > night,
            from 11 Pm to 5 AM here in Thailand!

            > > ***** I'll add
            that I do love the Meriweather
            > > pick. I'm willing to
            > give
            the
            > > kid (and BB) the benefit on the doubt on his

            problems at "The U".
            > Let's
            > > chalk it up the environment, and
            the lack of the
            > > type of guidance
            > that he'll

            get in the Patriots' locker room. He is said to be
            > > exactly the
            type
            > of
            > > player who can fill Rodney's shoes. That's enough
            > > for me. I just
            > hope that,
            > > in this case, you
            can take "the hood" out of the
            > > kid when you take
            > the
            kid
            > > out of the hood!
            > >
            > > George

            Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

            > > _____

            Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car"
            > > smell?

            Check out new

            href="http://us.rd.">http://us.rd.
            href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.htm">http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=48245/ *http://autos. yahoo.com/ new_cars. htm>

            yahoo.com/evt= 48245/*http://autos. yahoo.com/ new_cars. htm

            l;_ylc

            =X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF 9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BH NlYwNtYWlsdGFncw RzbGsDbmV3LWNhcn M-
            > > cars
            > > at Yahoo! Autos.

            To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan
            Group, send an email to:
            patriotzip-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

            Yahoo! Groups Links