Re: Alergic to Rookie LBs

  • Levon
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1 9:36 AM
      George, just a few holes in your theory:

      1) Vilma was in the 2004 draft and went #12, the Pats had no shot to
      draft him
      2) Beason went right after our first pick, so unless you assume
      Meriweather would still be there at #28, we didn't really have a shot
      at him either

      I agree that I was hoping that the Pats would get a LB in the 1st
      round, seeing Paul P from Penn State drop to the second round was a
      surprise to me and I thought he would be a good fit for the Pats.

      > ***** I understand that, Brew. But I still think it would be worth
      investing
      > a couple of years of development and education in a kid who has
      demonstrated
      > superior athletic ability and instincts at the college level. We
      draft OL's
      > to develop, why not LBs? Hell, we've been wasting a roster spot on
      Marquise

      Message 2 of 9 , May 1 7:11 PM
        ***** My bad on those specifics, Levon. But my point remains the same. They have consistently passed on one LB or another in the early rounds, and I believe they'd have had more success, or, at the very least, be deeper at the position now, than is the case.

        --- In patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com, "George" <patswingr@. ..> wrote:

        > ***** I understand
        that, Brew. But I still think it would be worth
        investing
        > a couple
        of years of development and education in a kid who has
        demonstrated

        superior athletic ability and instincts at the college level. We
        draft OL's
        > to develop, why not LBs? Hell, we've been wasting a roster spot on
        Marquise
        > Hill for 3 years! Wouldn't a kid like Beason or Harris, or
        Vilma
        last year,
        > who could all probably shine on STs also, be a
        better investment?

        > ***** I will never stop believing that
        highly rated LBs are well
        worth a R1,
        > or at least a Day One pick. I
        have to respectfully disagree with BB
        on that
        > one. Obviously, he's
        succeeded without doing so, and whether or not
        he would
        > have had
        more success if he did so is moot. But I will continue to
        believe

        that to be the case.

        > George
        > Dogs have
        masters ... Cats have staff!

        href="mailto:patriotzip%40yahoogroups.com">patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com

        <patswingr@. ..> wrote:

        > ***** Apparently, BB is
        alergic to highly rated rookie LBs. I am,
        once
        > again, disappointed
        by the Pats failure to select a highly rated LB
        in R1. I
        > am most
        disappointed by the fact that TWO such LBs that I wanted to
        see

        wearing Patriots uniforms will now be lining up against us twice a
        year as
        > New York Jets.
        >
        > ***** I'm referring to Jonathan
        Vilma, who I wanted last year, and
        David
        > Harris, who was there for
        us with our second pick in R1 (or some
        trade up
        > into the top of R2).
        >
        > ***** I'm satisfied with the value we got for our #28 pick
        from the
        49ers.
        > But I'd still rather have seen us get a promissing
        young LB like
        Harris. Of
        > course, I have to add the disclaimer that I
        didn't see any college
        football
        > this year; so I wasn't as committed
        to any of the LBs as I have
        been in past
        > years, when I had some
        personal assessment of their talents. But,
        based upon
        > what I've
        read, I'm still sorry we passed on the position again.
        Maybe we'll

        now go after Hartwell, since he's apparently no longer dealing with
        the
        > Broncos.
        >
        > ***** As for the R3 trade, I don't
        know enough about the players
        left at
        > that point to doubt the wisdom
        of the move by BB and Pioli. We are
        > certainly in great shape for next
        year's draft now, which is
        supposed to be
        > a more talented class than
        this one.

        > ***** Let's see what tomorrow brings. We certainly
        can't expect any
        starters
        > from it. But we have the option to take a
        lot of shots at some kids
        for
        > backup/STs/developm ent roles.
        With 9 picks, and less time between
        > selections, it will, at least be
        more exciting than the 6 hours I
        spent last
        > night, from 11 Pm to 5
        AM here in Thailand!

        > ***** I'll add that I do love the
        Meriweather pick. I'm willing to
        give the
        > kid (and BB) the benefit
        on the doubt on his problems at "The U".
        Let's
        > chalk it up the
        environment, and the lack of the type of guidance
        that he'll
        > get in
        the Patriots' locker room. He is said to be exactly the type
        of

        player who can fill Rodney's shoes. That's enough for me. I just
        hope that,
        > in this case, you can take "the hood" out of the kid when you take
        the kid
        > out of the hood!
        >
        > George
        > Dogs have
        masters ... Cats have staff!

        > _____
        >
        > Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car"
        smell?
        > Check out new

        <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=48245/ *http://autos. yahoo.com/ new_cars. htm
        l;_ylc

        =X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF 9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BH NlYwNtYWlsdGFncw RzbGsDbmV3LWNhcn M-

        cars
        > at Yahoo! Autos.

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2 3:32 AM
          I think they will be very interested to see who is released during
          camp. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up a vet LB before the
          season starts; someone who can contribute from day one. As has been
          said, rooks have a tough time grasping this defense. They like
          experience at the position.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 2 3:40 AM
            Junior absolutely wanted a chance to win a ring and if
            he rehabs successfully he is very likely to look at us
            as a top contender. I'd happily welcome Seau back
            into the mix.

            I think they will be very interested to see who is
            released during
            camp. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up a
            vet LB before the
            season starts; someone who can contribute from day
            one. As has been
            said, rooks have a tough time grasping this defense.
            They like
            experience at the position.

            fdb

            <patswingr@...> wrote:

            > ***** My bad on those specifics, Levon. But my point
            > remains the
            same. They
            > have consistently passed on one LB or another in the
            > early rounds, and I
            > believe they'd have had more success, or, at the
            > very least, be
            deeper at
            > the position now, than is the case.
            >

            > George
            > Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!
            >

            > _____

            To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan
            Group, send an email to:

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2 3:58 AM
              ***** I agree, Randy, that Seau can still contribute on limited number of plays basis. However, I question whether BB will drift that far from his normal requirement for  players to contribute in at least a couple of areas. I certainly wouldn't complain if it happens, as I'm a major Seau fan. I'm just saying that I don't feel that BB will go in that direction.

              <patswingr@. ..> wrote:

              > ***** My bad on
              those specifics, Levon. But my point
              > remains the
              same. They

              have consistently passed on one LB or another in the
              > early rounds, and
              > believe they'd have had more success, or, at the
              > very least,
              be
              deeper at
              > the position now, than is the
              case.

              > George
              > Dogs have masters ... Cats have
              staff!

              href="mailto:patriotzip%40yahoogroups.com">patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com] On

              To: patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com

              George, just a few holes in your theory:

              > 1) Vilma was in the
              2004 draft and went #12, the
              > Pats had no shot to
              > draft
              him
              > 2) Beason went right after our first pick, so unless
              > you
              assume
              > Meriweather would still be there at #28, we didn't

              really have a shot
              > at him either
              >
              > I agree that I was
              hoping that the Pats would get a
              > LB in the 1st
              > round, seeing
              Paul P from Penn State drop to the
              > second round was a
              > surprise
              to me and I thought he would be a good fit
              > for the
              Pats.

              "George" <patswingr@> wrote:

              > > ***** I understand
              that, Brew. But I still think
              > > it would be worth

              investing
              > > a couple of years of development and education in
              > > a kid who has
              > demonstrated
              > > superior athletic
              ability and instincts at the
              > > college level. We
              > draft
              OL's
              > > to develop, why not LBs? Hell, we've been wasting
              > > a roster spot on
              > Marquise
              > > Hill for 3 years! Wouldn't a
              kid like Beason or
              > > Harris, or Vilma
              > last year,
              > > who could all probably shine on STs also, be a
              > > better
              investment?

              > > ***** I will never stop believing that
              highly
              > > rated LBs are well
              > worth a R1,
              > > or at
              least a Day One pick. I have to respectfully
              > > disagree with
              BB
              > on that
              > > one. Obviously, he's succeeded without doing so,
              > > and whether or not
              > he would
              > > have had more
              success if he did so is moot. But I
              > > will continue to

              believe
              > > that to be the case.

              George
              > > Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!
              > >

              > > _____
              > >
              > > From:
              patriotzip@yahoogro

              <mailto:patriotzip% 40yahoogroups. com>
              ups.com

              [mailto:patriotzip@ yahoogro

              <mailto:patriotzip% 40yahoogroups. com>
              ups.com]

              On
              > > Behalf Of David Brunat
              > > Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2007
              10:09 PM
              > > To: patriotzip@yahoogro

              <mailto:patriotzip% 40yahoogroups. com> ups.com

              > > Everyone needs to get over the LB
              thing. BB asks a
              > > lot out of
              > LBs. Too
              > > much for
              a rookie to fit in right away. He prefers
              > > proven NFL LBs

              with
              > > skills he can assess at the proper level. He can

              take these guys
              > and tweek
              > > them into his system. Been
              working so far.

              George <patswingr@> wrote:

              > > ***** Apparently, BB
              is alergic to highly rated
              > > rookie LBs. I am,
              > once
              > > again, disappointed by the Pats failure to select
              > > a highly
              rated LB
              > in R1. I
              > > am most disappointed by the fact that TWO
              such LBs
              > > that I wanted to
              > see
              > > wearing
              Patriots uniforms will now be lining up
              > > against us twice a

              year as
              > > New York Jets.
              > >
              > > ***** I'm
              referring to Jonathan Vilma, who I
              > > wanted last year, and

              David
              > > Harris, who was there for us with our second pick
              > > in R1 (or some
              > trade up
              > > into the top of R2).
              > >
              > > ***** I'm satisfied with the value we got for our
              > > #28 pick from the
              > 49ers.
              > > But I'd still rather have
              seen us get a promissing
              > > young LB like
              > Harris. Of
              > > course, I have to add the disclaimer that I didn't
              > > see any
              college
              > football
              > > this year; so I wasn't as committed to any
              of the
              > > LBs as I have
              > been in past
              > > years, when
              I had some personal assessment of
              > > their talents. But,

              based upon
              > > what I've read, I'm still sorry we passed on the
              > > position again.
              > Maybe we'll
              > > now go after
              Hartwell, since he's apparently no
              > > longer dealing with

              the
              > > Broncos.
              > >
              > > ***** As for the R3 trade, I
              don't know enough
              > > about the players
              > left at

              that point to doubt the wisdom of the move by BB
              > > and Pioli. We
              are
              > > certainly in great shape for next year's draft

              now, which is
              > supposed to be
              > > a more talented class than
              this one.

              > > ***** Let's see what tomorrow brings. We
              certainly
              > > can't expect any
              > starters
              > > from it.
              But we have the option to take a lot of
              > > shots at some kids

              for
              > > backup/STs/developm ent roles. With 9 picks, and
              > > less time between
              > > selections, it will, at least be more
              exciting
              > > than the 6 hours I
              > spent last
              > > night,
              from 11 Pm to 5 AM here in Thailand!

              > > ***** I'll add
              that I do love the Meriweather
              > > pick. I'm willing to
              > give
              the
              > > kid (and BB) the benefit on the doubt on his

              problems at "The U".
              > Let's
              > > chalk it up the environment, and
              the lack of the
              > > type of guidance
              > that he'll

              get in the Patriots' locker room. He is said to be
              > > exactly the
              type
              > of
              > > player who can fill Rodney's shoes. That's enough
              > > for me. I just
              > hope that,
              > > in this case, you
              can take "the hood" out of the
              > > kid when you take
              > the
              kid
              > > out of the hood!
              > >
              > > George

              Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

              > > _____

              Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car"
              > > smell?

              Check out new

              href="http://us.rd.">http://us.rd.
              href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.htm">http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=48245/ *http://autos. yahoo.com/ new_cars. htm>

              yahoo.com/evt= 48245/*http://autos. yahoo.com/ new_cars. htm

              l;_ylc

              =X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF 9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BH NlYwNtYWlsdGFncw RzbGsDbmV3LWNhcn M-
              > > cars
              > > at Yahoo! Autos.

              To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan
              Group, send an email to:
              patriotzip-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

              Yahoo! Groups Links