How Many Picks Will We Make Today?

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2007
      ***** The Patriots now sit with 9 picks available to them on Day Two: 2 in
      R4; 1 in R5; 4 in R6; and 2 in R7. Of those, 4 are Compensatory Picks that
      cannot be traded: the 1 in R5; 2 in R6; and 1 in R7. That leaves 5 picks
      that can either be used, or traded. So, what do you think they'll do with
      those 5? Here are my thoughts.

      ***** I expect them to use both of the picks they have in R4. They are #11
      and #28. They should both be good for solid prospects, so that's my
      prediction. Other possibilities: I could also see them trading that #28
      pick, plus a R6 or 7 pick to move up higher than #28 here in R4. Oh, and
      with all the rumors, I suppose we still can't rule out a trade for Randy
      Moss. One of the R4 picks would likely be the one to go, if they do that.

      ***** As noted earlier, they have a non-tradeable pick near the end of R5.
      I'm guessing (what else is any attempt to predict BB?) that they will try to
      trade two of their 3 tradeable picks from R6 and 7 to get an earlier pick in
      R5.

      ***** Of course, as was the case with our 2 trades yesterday, it will depend
      upon what value they place upon the players available in R4 and 5. If they
      feel that the quality of players continues to drop significantly in these
      rounds, as they apparently felt about the 2 traded picks yesterday, then I
      could see them trading 2 or 3 of the 5 tradeable picks for picks one round
      higher next year.

      ***** In any case, I will be shocked if they actually select 9 players
      today. I would guess that 7 is the maximum they'll take.

      ***** To summarize, I'm saying they pick 2 players in R4, 2 in R5 (1 of
      those from a trade today), plus the 2 Comp picks in R6, and the Comp pick in
      R7. All of the tradeable R6 and R7 picks will be traded either to move up
      today in R4 and/or R5, or for 2008 picks.

      George
      Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!