Alergic to Rookie LBs

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29 12:30 AM
      ***** Apparently, BB is alergic to highly rated rookie LBs. I am, once
      again, disappointed by the Pats failure to select a highly rated LB in R1. I
      am most disappointed by the fact that TWO such LBs that I wanted to see
      wearing Patriots uniforms will now be lining up against us twice a year as
      New York Jets.

      ***** I'm referring to Jonathan Vilma, who I wanted last year, and David
      Harris, who was there for us with our second pick in R1 (or some trade up
      into the top of R2).

      ***** I'm satisfied with the value we got for our #28 pick from the 49ers.
      But I'd still rather have seen us get a promissing young LB like Harris. Of
      course, I have to add the disclaimer that I didn't see any college football
      this year; so I wasn't as committed to any of the LBs as I have been in past
      years, when I had some personal assessment of their talents. But, based upon
      what I've read, I'm still sorry we passed on the position again. Maybe we'll
      now go after Hartwell, since he's apparently no longer dealing with the
      Broncos.

      ***** As for the R3 trade, I don't know enough about the players left at
      that point to doubt the wisdom of the move by BB and Pioli. We are
      certainly in great shape for next year's draft now, which is supposed to be
      a more talented class than this one.

      ***** Let's see what tomorrow brings. We certainly can't expect any starters
      from it. But we have the option to take a lot of shots at some kids for
      backup/STs/development roles. With 9 picks, and less time between
      selections, it will, at least be more exciting than the 6 hours I spent last
      night, from 11 Pm to 5 AM here in Thailand!

      ***** I'll add that I do love the Meriweather pick. I'm willing to give the
      kid (and BB) the benefit on the doubt on his problems at "The U". Let's
      chalk it up the environment, and the lack of the type of guidance that he'll
      get in the Patriots' locker room. He is said to be exactly the type of
      player who can fill Rodney's shoes. That's enough for me. I just hope that,
      in this case, you can take "the hood" out of the kid when you take the kid
      out of the hood!

      George
      Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 29 5:24 AM
        With both Harris and Beason on the board, I'd have to assume that we
        as fans thought more of these guys than BB and SP. They certainly got
        great value for #28.

        We're in good position for day two, though. Despite the fact that I
        was out in left field on my day 1 guesses, I think they may take some
        of their tradable day two picks to move up in R4; perhaps they are
        eyeing Brandon Siler (maybe they just like the name Brandon) or Tanard
        Jackson, perhaps Zak DeOssie.

        I guess they couldn't pay two 1st round salaries, and still afford
        Randy Moss. ;o)

        > ***** Apparently, BB is alergic to highly rated rookie LBs. I am, once
        > again, disappointed by the Pats failure to select a highly rated LB
        in R1. I
        > am most disappointed by the fact that TWO such LBs that I wanted to see
        > wearing Patriots uniforms will now be lining up against us twice a
        year as
        > New York Jets.
        >
        > ***** I'm referring to Jonathan Vilma, who I wanted last year, and David
        > Harris, who was there for us with our second pick in R1 (or some
        trade up
        > into the top of R2).
        >
        > ***** I'm satisfied with the value we got for our #28 pick from the
        49ers.
        > But I'd still rather have seen us get a promissing young LB like
        Harris. Of
        > course, I have to add the disclaimer that I didn't see any college
        football
        > this year; so I wasn't as committed to any of the LBs as I have been
        in past
        > years, when I had some personal assessment of their talents. But,
        based upon
        > what I've read, I'm still sorry we passed on the position again.
        Maybe we'll
        > now go after Hartwell, since he's apparently no longer dealing with the
        > Broncos.
        >
        > ***** As for the R3 trade, I don't know enough about the players left at
        > that point to doubt the wisdom of the move by BB and Pioli. We are
        > certainly in great shape for next year's draft now, which is
        supposed to be
        > a more talented class than this one.
        >
        > ***** Let's see what tomorrow brings. We certainly can't expect any
        starters
        > from it. But we have the option to take a lot of shots at some kids for
        > backup/STs/development roles. With 9 picks, and less time between
        > selections, it will, at least be more exciting than the 6 hours I
        spent last
        > night, from 11 Pm to 5 AM here in Thailand!
        >
        > ***** I'll add that I do love the Meriweather pick. I'm willing to
        give the
        > kid (and BB) the benefit on the doubt on his problems at "The U". Let's
        > chalk it up the environment, and the lack of the type of guidance
        that he'll
        > get in the Patriots' locker room. He is said to be exactly the type of
        > player who can fill Rodney's shoes. That's enough for me. I just
        hope that,
        > in this case, you can take "the hood" out of the kid when you take
        the kid
        > out of the hood!
        >
        > George
        > Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

      • David Brunat
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 29 8:08 AM
          Everyone needs to get over the LB thing.  BB asks a lot out of LBs.  Too much for a rookie to fit in right away.  He prefers proven NFL LBs with skills he can assess at the proper level.  He can take these guys and tweek them into his system.  Been working so far.

          The BrewGnat

          George <patswingr@...> wrote:
[...]

          Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 29 8:55 AM
            ***** I understand that, Brew. But I still think it would be worth investing a couple of years of development and education in a kid who has demonstrated superior athletic ability and instincts at the college level. We draft OL's to develop, why not LBs? Hell, we've been wasting a roster spot on Marquise Hill for 3 years! Wouldn't a kid like Beason or Harris, or Vilma last year, who could all probably shine on STs also, be a better investment?

            ***** I will never stop believing that highly rated LBs are well worth a R1, or at least a Day One pick. I have to respectfully disagree with BB on that one. Obviously, he's succeeded without doing so, and whether or not he would have had more success if he did so is moot. But I will continue to believe that to be the case.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2007
              George, just a few holes in your theory:

              1) Vilma was in the 2004 draft and went #12, the Pats had no shot to
              draft him
              2) Beason went right after our first pick, so unless you assume
              Meriweather would still be there at #28, we didn't really have a shot
              at him either

              I agree that I was hoping that the Pats would get a LB in the 1st
              round, seeing Paul P from Penn State drop to the second round was a
              surprise to me and I thought he would be a good fit for the Pats.

              > ***** I understand that, Brew. But I still think it would be worth
              investing
              > a couple of years of development and education in a kid who has
              demonstrated
              > superior athletic ability and instincts at the college level. We
              draft OL's
              > to develop, why not LBs? Hell, we've been wasting a roster spot on
              Marquise
              > Hill for 3 years! Wouldn't a kid like Beason or Harris, or Vilma
              last year,
              > who could all probably shine on STs also, be a better investment?
              >
              > ***** I will never stop believing that highly rated LBs are well
              worth a R1,
              > or at least a Day One pick. I have to respectfully disagree with BB
              on that
              > one. Obviously, he's succeeded without doing so, and whether or not
              he would
              > have had more success if he did so is moot. But I will continue to
              believe
              > that to be the case.
              >

              > George
              > Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!
              >

              > _____

              <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.htm
              l;_ylc

              =X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM-

              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2007
                ***** My bad on those specifics, Levon. But my point remains the same. They have consistently passed on one LB or another in the early rounds, and I believe they'd have had more success, or, at the very least, be deeper at the position now, than is the case.

                --- In patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com, "George" <patswingr@. ..> wrote:

                > ***** I understand
                that, Brew. But I still think it would be worth
                investing
                > a couple
                of years of development and education in a kid who has
                demonstrated

                superior athletic ability and instincts at the college level. We
                draft OL's
                > to develop, why not LBs? Hell, we've been wasting a roster spot on
                Marquise
                > Hill for 3 years! Wouldn't a kid like Beason or Harris, or
                Vilma
                last year,
                > who could all probably shine on STs also, be a
                better investment?

                > ***** I will never stop believing that
                highly rated LBs are well
                worth a R1,
                > or at least a Day One pick. I
                have to respectfully disagree with BB
                on that
                > one. Obviously, he's
                succeeded without doing so, and whether or not
                he would
                > have had
                more success if he did so is moot. But I will continue to
                believe

                that to be the case.

                > George
                > Dogs have
                masters ... Cats have staff!

                href="mailto:patriotzip%40yahoogroups.com">patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com

                <patswingr@. ..> wrote:

                > ***** Apparently, BB is
                alergic to highly rated rookie LBs. I am,
                once
                > again, disappointed
                by the Pats failure to select a highly rated LB
                in R1. I
                > am most
                disappointed by the fact that TWO such LBs that I wanted to
                see

                wearing Patriots uniforms will now be lining up against us twice a
                year as
                > New York Jets.
                >
                > ***** I'm referring to Jonathan
                Vilma, who I wanted last year, and
                David
                > Harris, who was there for
                us with our second pick in R1 (or some
                trade up
                > into the top of R2).
                >
                > ***** I'm satisfied with the value we got for our #28 pick
                from the
                49ers.
                > But I'd still rather have seen us get a promissing
                young LB like
                Harris. Of
                > course, I have to add the disclaimer that I
                didn't see any college
                football
                > this year; so I wasn't as committed
                to any of the LBs as I have
                been in past
                > years, when I had some
                personal assessment of their talents. But,
                based upon
                > what I've
                read, I'm still sorry we passed on the position again.
                Maybe we'll

                now go after Hartwell, since he's apparently no longer dealing with
                the
                > Broncos.
                >
                > ***** As for the R3 trade, I don't
                know enough about the players
                left at
                > that point to doubt the wisdom
                of the move by BB and Pioli. We are
                > certainly in great shape for next
                year's draft now, which is
                supposed to be
                > a more talented class than
                this one.

                > ***** Let's see what tomorrow brings. We certainly
                can't expect any
                starters
                > from it. But we have the option to take a
                lot of shots at some kids
                for
                > backup/STs/developm ent roles.
                With 9 picks, and less time between
                > selections, it will, at least be
                more exciting than the 6 hours I
                spent last
                > night, from 11 Pm to 5
                AM here in Thailand!

                > ***** I'll add that I do love the
                Meriweather pick. I'm willing to
                give the
                > kid (and BB) the benefit
                on the doubt on his problems at "The U".
                Let's
                > chalk it up the
                environment, and the lack of the type of guidance
                that he'll
                > get in
                the Patriots' locker room. He is said to be exactly the type
                of

                player who can fill Rodney's shoes. That's enough for me. I just
                hope that,
                > in this case, you can take "the hood" out of the kid when you take
                the kid
                > out of the hood!
                >
                > George
                > Dogs have
                masters ... Cats have staff!

                > _____
                >
                > Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car"
                smell?
                > Check out new

                <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=48245/ *http://autos. yahoo.com/ new_cars. htm
                l;_ylc

                =X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF 9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BH NlYwNtYWlsdGFncw RzbGsDbmV3LWNhcn M-

                cars
                > at Yahoo! Autos.

              • Frank
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                  I think they will be very interested to see who is released during
                  camp. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up a vet LB before the
                  season starts; someone who can contribute from day one. As has been
                  said, rooks have a tough time grasping this defense. They like
                  experience at the position.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                    Junior absolutely wanted a chance to win a ring and if
                    he rehabs successfully he is very likely to look at us
                    as a top contender. I'd happily welcome Seau back
                    into the mix.

                    I think they will be very interested to see who is
                    released during
                    camp. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up a
                    vet LB before the
                    season starts; someone who can contribute from day
                    one. As has been
                    said, rooks have a tough time grasping this defense.
                    They like
                    experience at the position.

                    fdb

                    <patswingr@...> wrote:

                    > ***** My bad on those specifics, Levon. But my point
                    > remains the
                    same. They
                    > have consistently passed on one LB or another in the
                    > early rounds, and I
                    > believe they'd have had more success, or, at the
                    > very least, be
                    deeper at
                    > the position now, than is the case.
                    >

                    > George
                    > Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!
                    >

                    > _____

                    To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan
                    Group, send an email to:

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                      ***** I agree, Randy, that Seau can still contribute on limited number of plays basis. However, I question whether BB will drift that far from his normal requirement for  players to contribute in at least a couple of areas. I certainly wouldn't complain if it happens, as I'm a major Seau fan. I'm just saying that I don't feel that BB will go in that direction.

                      <patswingr@. ..> wrote:

                      > ***** My bad on
                      those specifics, Levon. But my point
                      > remains the
                      same. They

                      have consistently passed on one LB or another in the
                      > early rounds, and
                      > believe they'd have had more success, or, at the
                      > very least,
                      be
                      deeper at
                      > the position now, than is the
                      case.

                      > George
                      > Dogs have masters ... Cats have
                      staff!

                      href="mailto:patriotzip%40yahoogroups.com">patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com] On

                      To: patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com

                      George, just a few holes in your theory:

                      > 1) Vilma was in the
                      2004 draft and went #12, the
                      > Pats had no shot to
                      > draft
                      him
                      > 2) Beason went right after our first pick, so unless
                      > you
                      assume
                      > Meriweather would still be there at #28, we didn't

                      really have a shot
                      > at him either
                      >
                      > I agree that I was
                      hoping that the Pats would get a
                      > LB in the 1st
                      > round, seeing
                      Paul P from Penn State drop to the
                      > second round was a
                      > surprise
                      to me and I thought he would be a good fit
                      > for the
                      Pats.

                      "George" <patswingr@> wrote:

                      > > ***** I understand
                      that, Brew. But I still think
                      > > it would be worth

                      investing
                      > > a couple of years of development and education in
                      > > a kid who has
                      > demonstrated
                      > > superior athletic
                      ability and instincts at the
                      > > college level. We
                      > draft
                      OL's
                      > > to develop, why not LBs? Hell, we've been wasting
                      > > a roster spot on
                      > Marquise
                      > > Hill for 3 years! Wouldn't a
                      kid like Beason or
                      > > Harris, or Vilma
                      > last year,
                      > > who could all probably shine on STs also, be a
                      > > better
                      investment?

                      > > ***** I will never stop believing that
                      highly
                      > > rated LBs are well
                      > worth a R1,
                      > > or at
                      least a Day One pick. I have to respectfully
                      > > disagree with
                      BB
                      > on that
                      > > one. Obviously, he's succeeded without doing so,
                      > > and whether or not
                      > he would
                      > > have had more
                      success if he did so is moot. But I
                      > > will continue to

                      believe
                      > > that to be the case.

                      George
                      > > Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!
                      > >

                      > > _____
                      > >
                      > > From:
                      patriotzip@yahoogro

                      <mailto:patriotzip% 40yahoogroups. com>
                      ups.com

                      [mailto:patriotzip@ yahoogro

                      <mailto:patriotzip% 40yahoogroups. com>
                      ups.com]

                      On
                      > > Behalf Of David Brunat
                      > > Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2007
                      10:09 PM
                      > > To: patriotzip@yahoogro

                      <mailto:patriotzip% 40yahoogroups. com> ups.com

                      > > Everyone needs to get over the LB
                      thing. BB asks a
                      > > lot out of
                      > LBs. Too
                      > > much for
                      a rookie to fit in right away. He prefers
                      > > proven NFL LBs

                      with
                      > > skills he can assess at the proper level. He can

                      take these guys
                      > and tweek
                      > > them into his system. Been
                      working so far.

                      George <patswingr@> wrote:

                      > > ***** Apparently, BB
                      is alergic to highly rated
                      > > rookie LBs. I am,
                      > once
                      > > again, disappointed by the Pats failure to select
                      > > a highly
                      rated LB
                      > in R1. I
                      > > am most disappointed by the fact that TWO
                      such LBs
                      > > that I wanted to
                      > see
                      > > wearing
                      Patriots uniforms will now be lining up
                      > > against us twice a

                      year as
                      > > New York Jets.
                      > >
                      > > ***** I'm
                      referring to Jonathan Vilma, who I
                      > > wanted last year, and

                      David
                      > > Harris, who was there for us with our second pick
                      > > in R1 (or some
                      > trade up
                      > > into the top of R2).
                      > >
                      > > ***** I'm satisfied with the value we got for our
                      > > #28 pick from the
                      > 49ers.
                      > > But I'd still rather have
                      seen us get a promissing
                      > > young LB like
                      > Harris. Of
                      > > course, I have to add the disclaimer that I didn't
                      > > see any
                      college
                      > football
                      > > this year; so I wasn't as committed to any
                      of the
                      > > LBs as I have
                      > been in past
                      > > years, when
                      I had some personal assessment of
                      > > their talents. But,

                      based upon
                      > > what I've read, I'm still sorry we passed on the
                      > > position again.
                      > Maybe we'll
                      > > now go after
                      Hartwell, since he's apparently no
                      > > longer dealing with

                      the
                      > > Broncos.
                      > >
                      > > ***** As for the R3 trade, I
                      don't know enough
                      > > about the players
                      > left at

                      that point to doubt the wisdom of the move by BB
                      > > and Pioli. We
                      are
                      > > certainly in great shape for next year's draft

                      now, which is
                      > supposed to be
                      > > a more talented class than
                      this one.

                      > > ***** Let's see what tomorrow brings. We
                      certainly
                      > > can't expect any
                      > starters
                      > > from it.
                      But we have the option to take a lot of
                      > > shots at some kids

                      for
                      > > backup/STs/developm ent roles. With 9 picks, and
                      > > less time between
                      > > selections, it will, at least be more
                      exciting
                      > > than the 6 hours I
                      > spent last
                      > > night,
                      from 11 Pm to 5 AM here in Thailand!

                      > > ***** I'll add
                      that I do love the Meriweather
                      > > pick. I'm willing to
                      > give
                      the
                      > > kid (and BB) the benefit on the doubt on his

                      problems at "The U".
                      > Let's
                      > > chalk it up the environment, and
                      the lack of the
                      > > type of guidance
                      > that he'll

                      get in the Patriots' locker room. He is said to be
                      > > exactly the
                      type
                      > of
                      > > player who can fill Rodney's shoes. That's enough
                      > > for me. I just
                      > hope that,
                      > > in this case, you
                      can take "the hood" out of the
                      > > kid when you take
                      > the
                      kid
                      > > out of the hood!
                      > >
                      > > George

                      Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

                      > > _____

                      Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car"
                      > > smell?

                      Check out new

                      href="http://us.rd.">http://us.rd.
                      href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.htm">http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=48245/ *http://autos. yahoo.com/ new_cars. htm>

                      yahoo.com/evt= 48245/*http://autos. yahoo.com/ new_cars. htm

                      l;_ylc

                      =X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF 9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BH NlYwNtYWlsdGFncw RzbGsDbmV3LWNhcn M-
                      > > cars
                      > > at Yahoo! Autos.

                      To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan
                      Group, send an email to:
                      patriotzip-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

                      Yahoo! Groups Links