RE: [patriotzip] Stingley Dies ...

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
      ***** I second most of your thoughts, Randy, most strongly the fond remembrance of Stingley's play, and his post injury courage. However, I don't agree with your intimation that Tatum's hit was no worse than most of that era. Yes, there was no rule against hard hits on "defenseless receivers", as there is today. But most hard hitters didn't use the clothesline type of hit that Tatum used on Stingley. As you know, I was in the stadium in Oakland for that game, nearly directly over the spot where it happened. That was a cheap shot, typical of the play of the Raiders, as encouraged by owner Al Davis. I most strongly "fault Tatum for the hit"!

      George
      Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
        jack hamilton of the california angels at least expressed sorrow and made clear he wasnt intentionally throwing at tony c......if i recall tatum just brushed it off and said "that's my job, so what"

        See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
      • Orgone
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2007
          Gotta disagree here. I saw the hit too, as they showed it over and over on TV while he was laying on the field waiting for the ambulance. Tatum didn't hit him that hard. The damage was done because Stingley spun around in the air and landed on his neck. The force of Stingley's body hitting the ground that way broke his neck. I don't think Tatum could have planned to injure him, it happened too fast and Tatum had no control over how Stingley would land. Tatum didn't even hit him low. You could argue that if Stingley didn't leap so high for the ball it never would have happened. Very unfortunate but I can't fault Tatum for intent to injure.

          Harry

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2007

            Harry, I have to disagree with you here.  I just can not see how it can be argued that Stingley caused his own injury.  It was the way in which Tatum hit him that caused him to land badly.  If Tatum had hit him cleanly with his shoulder it is much less likely he would have landed badly.  It is the way in which Tatum hit him that caused him to land badly.  I won’t ever justify an obvious cheap shot.  But you apparently are not alone in this as it seems the NFL is willing to let anything go as long as a QB or a paralyzation isn’t involved or so it seems.

            Don