Re: Is that Deion Samuel or Asante Branch?

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
      Well there's two issues here. There's no doubt that a
      player is better than a benched player for that
      particular moment. Did Seymour holding out lead to
      Branch? Did Branch lead to Samuels? Will Samuels
      lead to others? *IF* the Pats playing hardball sent a
      message that it wasn't an effective strategy for
      players they might be dissuaded.

      Personally I think the hard feelings that presents and
      the bad image it presents is worse for the team
      overall and that's why they unload malcontents at the
      best value possible for the team. I think the Pats
      end up looking less appealing to other players every
      time things like this happen but the price of success
      is players wanting to go elsewhere for bigger dollars.

      I would have never guessed the Branch thing would get
      that ugly so I've got no idea what will happen here
      but I feel a little of Darren's perspective even as I
      trust that the emotional responses have to be well
      evaluated by BB and Pioli before they make their
      decisions. I know that I believe the addition of
      Branch to last year's team probably puts us in the
      Superbowl (sigh) - and I don't want to be thinking
      that about Samuels next year.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
        The situation does not surprise me in the least. I think I was half
        expecting it. You know he wasn't going to accept a contract that
        paid him less than the $7+ mil per year he is scheduled to get this
        year. And then Clements happened. I kind of felt it would go
        downhill from there. Sounds like he's getting serious about sitting
        out. I think a trade is becoming inevitable. Not to sound flipant,
        but we need a 2nd round pick anyway.

        My faith in the Patriot way is not shaken at all. The Colts won one
        SB, but with all the defections and cap problems they've created,
        you know darn well their not going to repeat. I'd rather let a very
        good, yet disgruntled player leave, rather than over-pay him, and be
        forced to compromise our depth at other positions. Consider how
        depth contributed to our SB seasons, with all the injuries we
        sustained.

        Effective cap management, Exceptional talent (and character)
        evaluation, and world class coaching... it's served us well so far.

        fdb

        --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@...>
        wrote:

        > Well there's two issues here. There's no doubt that a
        > player is better than a benched player for that
        > particular moment. Did Seymour holding out lead to
        > Branch? Did Branch lead to Samuels? Will Samuels
        > lead to others? *IF* the Pats playing hardball sent a
        > message that it wasn't an effective strategy for
        > players they might be dissuaded.
        >
        > Personally I think the hard feelings that presents and
        > the bad image it presents is worse for the team
        > overall and that's why they unload malcontents at the
        > best value possible for the team. I think the Pats
        > end up looking less appealing to other players every
        > time things like this happen but the price of success
        > is players wanting to go elsewhere for bigger dollars.
        >
        > I would have never guessed the Branch thing would get
        > that ugly so I've got no idea what will happen here
        > but I feel a little of Darren's perspective even as I
        > trust that the emotional responses have to be well
        > evaluated by BB and Pioli before they make their
        > decisions. I know that I believe the addition of
        > Branch to last year's team probably puts us in the
        > Superbowl (sigh) - and I don't want to be thinking
        > that about Samuels next year.
        >
        > Go Pats!
        > Zip

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
          This trend will continue, as long as a LeBron James house is more
          important than a SB ring.

          http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/special_packages/lebron_james/169
          80459.htm

          We're fortunate to have guys like Brady and Bruschi. That kind of
          player is still out there, and we'll continue to find them.

          > ***** I'm afraid that, with each passing season, and each
          additional player
          > departure for money, my love of the game of professional football
          is
          > increasingly eroded. Twenty years ago, I was equally as devoted to
          Major
          > League Baseball as I have been to pro football. I refused to
          believe that
          > the MLB players would strike the first time. When they did, I was
          deeply
          > disappointed, as well as angered. But I continued my dedication to
          the game.
          > When they struck a second time, my enthusiasm for the game took a
          major hit.
          > Rather than treating televised games as a "must see", I began to
          watch only
          > when it was convenient for me, and no decent option was available.
          I stopped
          > reading the boxscores, and game articles every day, and became
          what I guess
          > you could call a "casual fan". When they struck for a third time,
          I stopped

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
            ***** This team will continue to survive, and be serious SB contenders every season, despite losing some greedy young multi-millionaire every season. Yes, there will be seasons like last year when that one player seems to make the difference between reaching the AFC Championship Game, and reaching or winning the SB. So be it. There will also be seasons when the loss of that one player doesn't stop BB and his system, with a core of excellent players, surrounded by a lot of good ones, from getting another Lombardi Trophy. I'm happy with that. Screw the greedy players. Let's keep winning with the more reasonable, team player types, like Brady, Bruschi, Harrison, etc. I just hope that such players as those three don't become extinct in this ME FIRST society that's becoming the American way.

            wrote:

            > Well
            there's two issues here. There's no doubt that a
            > player is better than
            a benched player for that
            > particular moment. Did Seymour holding out
            lead to
            > Branch? Did Branch lead to Samuels? Will Samuels
            > lead
            to others? *IF* the Pats playing hardball sent a
            > message that it wasn't
            an effective strategy for
            > players they might be dissuaded.
            >
            > Personally I think the hard feelings that presents and
            > the bad
            image it presents is worse for the team
            > overall and that's why they
            unload malcontents at the
            > best value possible for the team. I think the
            Pats
            > end up looking less appealing to other players every
            > time
            things like this happen but the price of success
            > is players wanting to
            go elsewhere for bigger dollars.

            > I would have never guessed the
            Branch thing would get
            > that ugly so I've got no idea what will happen
            here
            > but I feel a little of Darren's perspective even as I

            trust that the emotional responses have to be well
            > evaluated by BB and
            Pioli before they make their
            > decisions. I know that I believe the
            addition of
            > Branch to last year's team probably puts us in the

            Superbowl (sigh) - and I don't want to be thinking
            > that about Samuels
            next year.

            Message -----
            <chiz3914@.. .>
            List"
            > <patriots@.. .>
            > Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007
            10:42 PM
            > Subject: Re: Is that Deion Samuel or Asante Branch?
            >

            > How does doing that make the New England Patriots a

            better team?

            > Steve - BBioli think team first
            >

            > Darren Dupre <dupredar@.. .> wrote:
            > Ugh.
            >
            > I said it then, and I say it now. They should have let
            > Branch
            rot on the
            > bench last year. These players want to play hardball,
            > then play hardball.
            >
            > The inmates are running the
            asylum.

            RandyZ. Pierce wrote:

            > > Ouch!

            I just took a listen to the piece and it was not
            > > encouraging. He
            still said many times how he hopes
            > > remain in New
            England but he made it clear he now
            > > intends to play hard-ball as he
            feels the team is
            > > doing their business in a fashion that does
            not
            > > realistically reflect his value. Of course he flat

            out pointed to the San Fran contract which sets the
            > > benchmark a bit
            more than unreasonable in my mind.

            > > He did use the word
            hold-out and trade very
            > > precisely
            > > and multiple
            times.

            > > I think it's interesting when talking about
            their
            > > great value how many players then complain that the
            > > price of two first round picks is too high for other
            > > teams to
            sign them. If you are so talented why is
            > > that price too
            steep?

            > > I will be interested to hear when dollars
            'leak' out
            > > from either the team or Assante's side of
            things....

            > > Go Pats!
            > > Zip

            Samuel is "not happy
            > > anymore and
            > > things are not going
            well." Further he's demanding
            > > be

            traded "if a long-term deal can't be done at fair
            > > numbers
            > > for me and New England."
            > >
            > > --
            > > Rich
            Carreiro

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
              ***** I like your confidence, Frank. I hope you're right.

              ***** Damn, I miss the 60's! :-) ... And damn Curt Flood!!

              href="mailto:patriotzip%40yahoogroups.com">patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com
              > encouraging. He still said many times how he hopes
              > remain in New England but he made it clear he now
              > intends
              to play hard-ball as he feels the team is
              > doing their business in a
              fashion that does not
              > realistically reflect his value. Of course he
              flat
              > out pointed to the San Fran contract which sets the

              benchmark a bit more than unreasonable in my mind.

              > He did use
              the word hold-out and trade very precisely
              > and multiple times.
              >
              > I think it's interesting when talking about their
              > great value
              how many players then complain that the
              > price of two first round picks
              is too high for other
              > teams to sign them. If you are so talented why is
              > that price too steep?
              >
              > I will be interested to hear
              when dollars 'leak' out
              > from either the team or Assante's side of
              things....

              > Go Pats!
              > Zip
              >
              > ----- Original
              Message -----
              > From: "Rich Carreiro" <rlcarr@animato.

              > Looks like Samuel is finally showing his true colors.

              According to Reiss's blog, Samuel is "not happy
              > anymore and

              things are not going well." Further he's demanding to
              > be
              > traded
              "if a long-term deal can't be done at fair
              > numbers
              > for me and
              New England."

              > --