Re: Is that Deion Samuel or Asante Branch?

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
      I forgot that there was one gleaming Beacon of hope in
      the article. He made a comment that suggested the
      money received by Thomas would be sufficient or in
      the ballpark. Of course the quote wasn't directly
      from Samuels so who knows:

      From the article:
      Also, Samuel has watched the Patriots reward players
      such as Thomas with big money while he has not been
      offered a similar deal for his role in helping

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
        ***** I'm afraid that, with each passing season, and each additional player departure for money, my love of the game of professional football is increasingly eroded. Twenty years ago, I was equally as devoted to Major League Baseball as I have been to pro football. I refused to believe that the MLB players would strike the first time. When they did, I was deeply disappointed, as well as angered. But I continued my dedication to the game. When they struck a second time, my enthusiasm for the game took a major hit. Rather than treating televised games as a "must see", I began to watch only when it was convenient for me, and no decent option was available. I stopped reading the boxscores, and game articles every day, and became what I guess you could call a "casual fan". When they struck for a third time, I stopped watching, listening to, or reading about Major League Baseball at all. I am still totally indifferent to the game.

        ***** I sincerely hope that the greed of the players in the NFL will not push me to that extreme for this great sport. But, it appears that the amount of "sport" remaining in this "business" is deteriorating at an alarming rate. The Tom Brady's and Tedi Bruschi's in the world of  professional football appear to be a dying breed. With them, and their willingness to accept "very good" money, rather than insist on "the most" money, rests my love for the game. When all like them are gone, and the NFL is truly transformed into 100% business, I'll be as indifferent to the game as I am to the Financial Pages of the newspaper. Business, for me, is just not fun. When the activity on the field becomes truly no more than "a means to make money" to the players on the field; when there are no players left who believe that there is such a thing as enough money; when there are none who understand the need for a team to balance it's budget in order to maximize it's on field production; when all of that describes the pro football scene, I'm done with it.

        ***** We aren't there yet. But I'm afraid that I'll live to see it happen. And I'm an old dude, so we're getting close!

        George
        Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
          Well there's two issues here. There's no doubt that a
          player is better than a benched player for that
          particular moment. Did Seymour holding out lead to
          Branch? Did Branch lead to Samuels? Will Samuels
          lead to others? *IF* the Pats playing hardball sent a
          message that it wasn't an effective strategy for
          players they might be dissuaded.

          Personally I think the hard feelings that presents and
          the bad image it presents is worse for the team
          overall and that's why they unload malcontents at the
          best value possible for the team. I think the Pats
          end up looking less appealing to other players every
          time things like this happen but the price of success
          is players wanting to go elsewhere for bigger dollars.

          I would have never guessed the Branch thing would get
          that ugly so I've got no idea what will happen here
          but I feel a little of Darren's perspective even as I
          trust that the emotional responses have to be well
          evaluated by BB and Pioli before they make their
          decisions. I know that I believe the addition of
          Branch to last year's team probably puts us in the
          Superbowl (sigh) - and I don't want to be thinking
          that about Samuels next year.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
            The situation does not surprise me in the least. I think I was half
            expecting it. You know he wasn't going to accept a contract that
            paid him less than the $7+ mil per year he is scheduled to get this
            year. And then Clements happened. I kind of felt it would go
            downhill from there. Sounds like he's getting serious about sitting
            out. I think a trade is becoming inevitable. Not to sound flipant,
            but we need a 2nd round pick anyway.

            My faith in the Patriot way is not shaken at all. The Colts won one
            SB, but with all the defections and cap problems they've created,
            you know darn well their not going to repeat. I'd rather let a very
            good, yet disgruntled player leave, rather than over-pay him, and be
            forced to compromise our depth at other positions. Consider how
            depth contributed to our SB seasons, with all the injuries we
            sustained.

            Effective cap management, Exceptional talent (and character)
            evaluation, and world class coaching... it's served us well so far.

            fdb

            --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@...>
            wrote:

            > Well there's two issues here. There's no doubt that a
            > player is better than a benched player for that
            > particular moment. Did Seymour holding out lead to
            > Branch? Did Branch lead to Samuels? Will Samuels
            > lead to others? *IF* the Pats playing hardball sent a
            > message that it wasn't an effective strategy for
            > players they might be dissuaded.
            >
            > Personally I think the hard feelings that presents and
            > the bad image it presents is worse for the team
            > overall and that's why they unload malcontents at the
            > best value possible for the team. I think the Pats
            > end up looking less appealing to other players every
            > time things like this happen but the price of success
            > is players wanting to go elsewhere for bigger dollars.
            >
            > I would have never guessed the Branch thing would get
            > that ugly so I've got no idea what will happen here
            > but I feel a little of Darren's perspective even as I
            > trust that the emotional responses have to be well
            > evaluated by BB and Pioli before they make their
            > decisions. I know that I believe the addition of
            > Branch to last year's team probably puts us in the
            > Superbowl (sigh) - and I don't want to be thinking
            > that about Samuels next year.
            >
            > Go Pats!
            > Zip

          • Frank
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
              This trend will continue, as long as a LeBron James house is more
              important than a SB ring.

              http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/special_packages/lebron_james/169
              80459.htm

              We're fortunate to have guys like Brady and Bruschi. That kind of
              player is still out there, and we'll continue to find them.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
                ***** This team will continue to survive, and be serious SB contenders every season, despite losing some greedy young multi-millionaire every season. Yes, there will be seasons like last year when that one player seems to make the difference between reaching the AFC Championship Game, and reaching or winning the SB. So be it. There will also be seasons when the loss of that one player doesn't stop BB and his system, with a core of excellent players, surrounded by a lot of good ones, from getting another Lombardi Trophy. I'm happy with that. Screw the greedy players. Let's keep winning with the more reasonable, team player types, like Brady, Bruschi, Harrison, etc. I just hope that such players as those three don't become extinct in this ME FIRST society that's becoming the American way.

                wrote:

                > Well
                there's two issues here. There's no doubt that a
                > player is better than
                a benched player for that
                > particular moment. Did Seymour holding out
                lead to
                > Branch? Did Branch lead to Samuels? Will Samuels
                > lead
                to others? *IF* the Pats playing hardball sent a
                > message that it wasn't
                an effective strategy for
                > players they might be dissuaded.
                >
                > Personally I think the hard feelings that presents and
                > the bad
                image it presents is worse for the team
                > overall and that's why they
                unload malcontents at the
                > best value possible for the team. I think the
                Pats
                > end up looking less appealing to other players every
                > time
                things like this happen but the price of success
                > is players wanting to
                go elsewhere for bigger dollars.

                > I would have never guessed the
                Branch thing would get
                > that ugly so I've got no idea what will happen
                here
                > but I feel a little of Darren's perspective even as I

                trust that the emotional responses have to be well
                > evaluated by BB and
                Pioli before they make their
                > decisions. I know that I believe the
                addition of
                > Branch to last year's team probably puts us in the

                Superbowl (sigh) - and I don't want to be thinking
                > that about Samuels
                next year.

                Message -----
                <chiz3914@.. .>
                List"
                > <patriots@.. .>
                > Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007
                10:42 PM
                > Subject: Re: Is that Deion Samuel or Asante Branch?
                >

                > How does doing that make the New England Patriots a

                better team?

                > Steve - BBioli think team first
                >

                > Darren Dupre <dupredar@.. .> wrote:
                > Ugh.
                >
                > I said it then, and I say it now. They should have let
                > Branch
                rot on the
                > bench last year. These players want to play hardball,
                > then play hardball.
                >
                > The inmates are running the
                asylum.

                RandyZ. Pierce wrote:

                > > Ouch!

                I just took a listen to the piece and it was not
                > > encouraging. He
                still said many times how he hopes
                > > remain in New
                England but he made it clear he now
                > > intends to play hard-ball as he
                feels the team is
                > > doing their business in a fashion that does
                not
                > > realistically reflect his value. Of course he flat

                out pointed to the San Fran contract which sets the
                > > benchmark a bit
                more than unreasonable in my mind.

                > > He did use the word
                hold-out and trade very
                > > precisely
                > > and multiple
                times.

                > > I think it's interesting when talking about
                their
                > > great value how many players then complain that the
                > > price of two first round picks is too high for other
                > > teams to
                sign them. If you are so talented why is
                > > that price too
                steep?

                > > I will be interested to hear when dollars
                'leak' out
                > > from either the team or Assante's side of
                things....

                > > Go Pats!
                > > Zip

                Samuel is "not happy
                > > anymore and
                > > things are not going
                well." Further he's demanding
                > > be

                traded "if a long-term deal can't be done at fair
                > > numbers
                > > for me and New England."
                > >
                > > --
                > > Rich
                Carreiro

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
                  ***** I like your confidence, Frank. I hope you're right.

                  ***** Damn, I miss the 60's! :-) ... And damn Curt Flood!!

                  href="mailto:patriotzip%40yahoogroups.com">patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com
                  > encouraging. He still said many times how he hopes
                  > remain in New England but he made it clear he now
                  > intends
                  to play hard-ball as he feels the team is
                  > doing their business in a
                  fashion that does not
                  > realistically reflect his value. Of course he
                  flat
                  > out pointed to the San Fran contract which sets the

                  benchmark a bit more than unreasonable in my mind.

                  > He did use
                  the word hold-out and trade very precisely
                  > and multiple times.
                  >
                  > I think it's interesting when talking about their
                  > great value
                  how many players then complain that the
                  > price of two first round picks
                  is too high for other
                  > teams to sign them. If you are so talented why is
                  > that price too steep?
                  >
                  > I will be interested to hear
                  when dollars 'leak' out
                  > from either the team or Assante's side of
                  things....

                  > Go Pats!
                  > Zip
                  >
                  > ----- Original
                  Message -----
                  > From: "Rich Carreiro" <rlcarr@animato.

                  > Looks like Samuel is finally showing his true colors.

                  According to Reiss's blog, Samuel is "not happy
                  > anymore and

                  things are not going well." Further he's demanding to
                  > be
                  > traded
                  "if a long-term deal can't be done at fair
                  > numbers
                  > for me and
                  New England."

                  > --