Re: Is that Deion Samuel or Asante Branch?

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
      Ouch!

      I just took a listen to the piece and it was not
      encouraging. He still said many times how he hopes to
      remain in New England but he made it clear he now
      intends to play hard-ball as he feels the team is
      doing their business in a fashion that does not
      realistically reflect his value. Of course he flat
      out pointed to the San Fran contract which sets the
      benchmark a bit more than unreasonable in my mind.

      He did use the word hold-out and trade very precisely
      and multiple times.

      I think it's interesting when talking about their
      great value how many players then complain that the
      price of two first round picks is too high for other
      teams to sign them. If you are so talented why is
      that price too steep?

      I will be interested to hear when dollars 'leak' out
      from either the team or Assante's side of things....

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
        I forgot that there was one gleaming Beacon of hope in
        the article. He made a comment that suggested the
        money received by Thomas would be sufficient or in
        the ballpark. Of course the quote wasn't directly
        from Samuels so who knows:

        From the article:
        Also, Samuel has watched the Patriots reward players
        such as Thomas with big money while he has not been
        offered a similar deal for his role in helping

        I am having trouble imagining a deal that could be
        done at fair numbers
        for Asante AND NE.
        What does Miguel say?
        Erdoboy

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
          ***** I'm afraid that, with each passing season, and each additional player departure for money, my love of the game of professional football is increasingly eroded. Twenty years ago, I was equally as devoted to Major League Baseball as I have been to pro football. I refused to believe that the MLB players would strike the first time. When they did, I was deeply disappointed, as well as angered. But I continued my dedication to the game. When they struck a second time, my enthusiasm for the game took a major hit. Rather than treating televised games as a "must see", I began to watch only when it was convenient for me, and no decent option was available. I stopped reading the boxscores, and game articles every day, and became what I guess you could call a "casual fan". When they struck for a third time, I stopped watching, listening to, or reading about Major League Baseball at all. I am still totally indifferent to the game.

          ***** I sincerely hope that the greed of the players in the NFL will not push me to that extreme for this great sport. But, it appears that the amount of "sport" remaining in this "business" is deteriorating at an alarming rate. The Tom Brady's and Tedi Bruschi's in the world of  professional football appear to be a dying breed. With them, and their willingness to accept "very good" money, rather than insist on "the most" money, rests my love for the game. When all like them are gone, and the NFL is truly transformed into 100% business, I'll be as indifferent to the game as I am to the Financial Pages of the newspaper. Business, for me, is just not fun. When the activity on the field becomes truly no more than "a means to make money" to the players on the field; when there are no players left who believe that there is such a thing as enough money; when there are none who understand the need for a team to balance it's budget in order to maximize it's on field production; when all of that describes the pro football scene, I'm done with it.

          ***** We aren't there yet. But I'm afraid that I'll live to see it happen. And I'm an old dude, so we're getting close!

          George
          Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

          --
          Rich Carreiro
          rlcarr@animato. arlington. ma.us

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
            Well there's two issues here. There's no doubt that a
            player is better than a benched player for that
            particular moment. Did Seymour holding out lead to
            Branch? Did Branch lead to Samuels? Will Samuels
            lead to others? *IF* the Pats playing hardball sent a
            message that it wasn't an effective strategy for
            players they might be dissuaded.

            Personally I think the hard feelings that presents and
            the bad image it presents is worse for the team
            overall and that's why they unload malcontents at the
            best value possible for the team. I think the Pats
            end up looking less appealing to other players every
            time things like this happen but the price of success
            is players wanting to go elsewhere for bigger dollars.

            I would have never guessed the Branch thing would get
            that ugly so I've got no idea what will happen here
            but I feel a little of Darren's perspective even as I
            trust that the emotional responses have to be well
            evaluated by BB and Pioli before they make their
            decisions. I know that I believe the addition of
            Branch to last year's team probably puts us in the
            Superbowl (sigh) - and I don't want to be thinking
            that about Samuels next year.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
              The situation does not surprise me in the least. I think I was half
              expecting it. You know he wasn't going to accept a contract that
              paid him less than the $7+ mil per year he is scheduled to get this
              year. And then Clements happened. I kind of felt it would go
              downhill from there. Sounds like he's getting serious about sitting
              out. I think a trade is becoming inevitable. Not to sound flipant,
              but we need a 2nd round pick anyway.

              My faith in the Patriot way is not shaken at all. The Colts won one
              SB, but with all the defections and cap problems they've created,
              you know darn well their not going to repeat. I'd rather let a very
              good, yet disgruntled player leave, rather than over-pay him, and be
              forced to compromise our depth at other positions. Consider how
              depth contributed to our SB seasons, with all the injuries we
              sustained.

              Effective cap management, Exceptional talent (and character)
              evaluation, and world class coaching... it's served us well so far.

              fdb

              --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@...>
              wrote:

              > Well there's two issues here. There's no doubt that a
              > player is better than a benched player for that
              > particular moment. Did Seymour holding out lead to
              > Branch? Did Branch lead to Samuels? Will Samuels
              > lead to others? *IF* the Pats playing hardball sent a
              > message that it wasn't an effective strategy for
              > players they might be dissuaded.
              >
              > Personally I think the hard feelings that presents and
              > the bad image it presents is worse for the team
              > overall and that's why they unload malcontents at the
              > best value possible for the team. I think the Pats
              > end up looking less appealing to other players every
              > time things like this happen but the price of success
              > is players wanting to go elsewhere for bigger dollars.
              >
              > I would have never guessed the Branch thing would get
              > that ugly so I've got no idea what will happen here
              > but I feel a little of Darren's perspective even as I
              > trust that the emotional responses have to be well
              > evaluated by BB and Pioli before they make their
              > decisions. I know that I believe the addition of
              > Branch to last year's team probably puts us in the
              > Superbowl (sigh) - and I don't want to be thinking
              > that about Samuels next year.
              >
              > Go Pats!
              > Zip

            • Frank
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
                This trend will continue, as long as a LeBron James house is more
                important than a SB ring.

                http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/special_packages/lebron_james/169
                80459.htm

                We're fortunate to have guys like Brady and Bruschi. That kind of
                player is still out there, and we'll continue to find them.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
                  ***** This team will continue to survive, and be serious SB contenders every season, despite losing some greedy young multi-millionaire every season. Yes, there will be seasons like last year when that one player seems to make the difference between reaching the AFC Championship Game, and reaching or winning the SB. So be it. There will also be seasons when the loss of that one player doesn't stop BB and his system, with a core of excellent players, surrounded by a lot of good ones, from getting another Lombardi Trophy. I'm happy with that. Screw the greedy players. Let's keep winning with the more reasonable, team player types, like Brady, Bruschi, Harrison, etc. I just hope that such players as those three don't become extinct in this ME FIRST society that's becoming the American way.

                  wrote:

                  > Well
                  there's two issues here. There's no doubt that a
                  > player is better than
                  a benched player for that
                  > particular moment. Did Seymour holding out
                  lead to
                  > Branch? Did Branch lead to Samuels? Will Samuels
                  > lead
                  to others? *IF* the Pats playing hardball sent a
                  > message that it wasn't
                  an effective strategy for
                  > players they might be dissuaded.
                  >
                  > Personally I think the hard feelings that presents and
                  > the bad
                  image it presents is worse for the team
                  > overall and that's why they
                  unload malcontents at the
                  > best value possible for the team. I think the
                  Pats
                  > end up looking less appealing to other players every
                  > time
                  things like this happen but the price of success
                  > is players wanting to
                  go elsewhere for bigger dollars.

                  > I would have never guessed the
                  Branch thing would get
                  > that ugly so I've got no idea what will happen
                  here
                  > but I feel a little of Darren's perspective even as I

                  trust that the emotional responses have to be well
                  > evaluated by BB and
                  Pioli before they make their
                  > decisions. I know that I believe the
                  addition of
                  > Branch to last year's team probably puts us in the

                  Superbowl (sigh) - and I don't want to be thinking
                  > that about Samuels
                  next year.

                  Message -----
                  <chiz3914@.. .>
                  List"
                  > <patriots@.. .>
                  > Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007
                  10:42 PM
                  > Subject: Re: Is that Deion Samuel or Asante Branch?
                  >

                  > How does doing that make the New England Patriots a

                  better team?

                  > Steve - BBioli think team first
                  >

                  > Darren Dupre <dupredar@.. .> wrote:
                  > Ugh.
                  >
                  > I said it then, and I say it now. They should have let
                  > Branch
                  rot on the
                  > bench last year. These players want to play hardball,
                  > then play hardball.
                  >
                  > The inmates are running the
                  asylum.

                  RandyZ. Pierce wrote:

                  > > Ouch!

                  I just took a listen to the piece and it was not
                  > > encouraging. He
                  still said many times how he hopes
                  > > remain in New
                  England but he made it clear he now
                  > > intends to play hard-ball as he
                  feels the team is
                  > > doing their business in a fashion that does
                  not
                  > > realistically reflect his value. Of course he flat

                  out pointed to the San Fran contract which sets the
                  > > benchmark a bit
                  more than unreasonable in my mind.

                  > > He did use the word
                  hold-out and trade very
                  > > precisely
                  > > and multiple
                  times.

                  > > I think it's interesting when talking about
                  their
                  > > great value how many players then complain that the
                  > > price of two first round picks is too high for other
                  > > teams to
                  sign them. If you are so talented why is
                  > > that price too
                  steep?

                  > > I will be interested to hear when dollars
                  'leak' out
                  > > from either the team or Assante's side of
                  things....

                  > > Go Pats!
                  > > Zip

                  Samuel is "not happy
                  > > anymore and
                  > > things are not going
                  well." Further he's demanding
                  > > be

                  traded "if a long-term deal can't be done at fair
                  > > numbers
                  > > for me and New England."
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Rich
                  Carreiro

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
                    ***** I like your confidence, Frank. I hope you're right.

                    ***** Damn, I miss the 60's! :-) ... And damn Curt Flood!!

                    href="mailto:patriotzip%40yahoogroups.com">patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com
                    > encouraging. He still said many times how he hopes
                    > remain in New England but he made it clear he now
                    > intends
                    to play hard-ball as he feels the team is
                    > doing their business in a
                    fashion that does not
                    > realistically reflect his value. Of course he
                    flat
                    > out pointed to the San Fran contract which sets the

                    benchmark a bit more than unreasonable in my mind.

                    > He did use
                    the word hold-out and trade very precisely
                    > and multiple times.
                    >
                    > I think it's interesting when talking about their
                    > great value
                    how many players then complain that the
                    > price of two first round picks
                    is too high for other
                    > teams to sign them. If you are so talented why is
                    > that price too steep?
                    >
                    > I will be interested to hear
                    when dollars 'leak' out
                    > from either the team or Assante's side of
                    things....

                    > Go Pats!
                    > Zip
                    >
                    > ----- Original
                    Message -----
                    > From: "Rich Carreiro" <rlcarr@animato.

                    > Looks like Samuel is finally showing his true colors.

                    According to Reiss's blog, Samuel is "not happy
                    > anymore and

                    things are not going well." Further he's demanding to
                    > be
                    > traded
                    "if a long-term deal can't be done at fair
                    > numbers
                    > for me and
                    New England."

                    > --