      Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 7:57 AM
      Subject: [patriotzip] Questions on Seymour...

      I never considered the Tom Brady deal a precedent setting event. I
      looked at it as the Pats dealing with players on a case-by-case
      basis. TB was woefully underpaid, even though he had two years left.
      I didn't think they would deviate from their position on such things,
      except in such extrordinary circumstances.

      I didn't think that they would seriously negotiate with Seymour this
      off season. If a quick and easy deal couldn't be done, they would
      wait. Seymour would show up and play out the season. If they were
      still far apart next off season, he would probably be traded.

      My opinion all changed upon hearing that serious negotiations were
      indeed underway with Big Sey. I was also a bit surprised this
      weekend, when Mike Vrabel received his extension, even though he had
      THREE years left on his contract. Vrabel's a terrific player, and a
      huge contributor, but it certainly wasn't the unique situation that
      TB presented.

      Questions:
      Have the Patriots altered their philosophy somewhat, to change with
      the times; being more willing to negotiate earlier in a contract (and
      if so, will this help or hurt the team, long term)?

      Could they be so far apart that we will not see Seymour at all this
      year? I would think this unlikely, but who knows. He's a terrific
      player, and by all accounts a great personality, but he does seem to
      be hung up on the image thing a bit. I remember seeing him on one of
      those pre-game shows, talking about his expensive suit and tie, and
      his diamond cuff links, and how important it is to look good. You
      don't hear that kind of stuff from TB.

      Everyone is concentrating on Seymour; what about Vinatieri, Givens,
      and Harrison? I would think Adam definitely gets done. Do they let
      Givens go to FA? Do they just let Rodney play out his current deal?

      Just thoughts for discussion...