7147The Beat Goes On (was Re: I had a feeling about this...)

    Jun 13 11:19 AM
      ***** All of what you say is worth the read, Randy. But the key sentence here, for all Patriots fans, is your last one. "We are so deep because we have managed a high quality talent at medium dollar values thus having great depth in proportion to the league."

      ***** The formula is clear. We have a brilliant QB at the controls of the offense; a very few very highly paid "stars" in other key positions; a handful of outstanding veterans who are taking less money to satisfy their hunger for a ring; and the rest of our team filled with solid, mid-level players, at those medium dollars. All of that is blended by BB and a significant carry over of his staff into a championship team.

      ***** There will be turnover each and every year, as some players decide that, with at least one ring on their hand, they choose to go for the bigger bucks available elsewhere. I truly believe that they will be replaced without destroying our chances for another Lombardi. They may be replaced by an outstanding draft pick, as Damien Woody and Ted Washington were; by an expensive, but less than top dollar FA, as Lawyer Milloy was; or by a relative unknown from our backups or practice squad, as has happened in our OL.

      ***** There are great players in this league. Every team must have at least a few of them to succeed. But there are enough sources from which to acquire, or develop, such players to make very, very few of them irreplaceable. (Yes, Brady may be one, on short notice, at least.) As long as the Patriots manage to lose no more than a couple of their outstanding players per season, their success will continue, because the rest of the formula remains in place.

      ***** So, if Seymour and Harrison are ready to make the move to the greener pastures of FA in a year or two, so be it. I hope that doesn't happen. But, if it isn't them, it's sure to be somebody else. There will always be players who believe that they require "X+ million", vs the "X million" that the Patriots can pay them to keep the team talent balanced. That's just life. Just as it is a fact of life that there will continue to be replacements for every one of them from one of the sources noted above. Those replacements need only give us what we need for at least a couple of seasons. Then, if they choose to go for the gold, they too, will be replaced. They'll go with my thanks for their contributions, as Ty Law has gone. But they are not "The New England Patriots", any more than FDR, Ike, JFK, or Reagan were "America". The entity goes on when the individual leaders fade. I'm a fan of the Patriots, and the players who contribute to their success, one game at a time.

      George

      "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@...> wrote:
      I flat out disagree with the origninal post.  I do not view Brady as a Cancer or detriment in any fashion and that includes his contract.  Brady didn't hold out or miss a single off-season workout opportunity.  He's been a consumate team player and his work behind the center has been a part of whta makes this team successful.  I think he rides out this contractuntil one or two years remain and then emaluates with the team where it goes next.

      The trouble with winning (and bring it all on please!) is thta the value of players on inning teams is increased both internally and to the other 31 teams.  When the internal values all try to rise together the Salary cap must hold them down.  In these times the team has to evaluate which components they can afford to risk losing and which pieces must be kept at costs higher than original.  Many Pats players are underpaid for the value they present on an open market.  THat's why the Front Office must attempt to prevent their being on a free market.

      Richard Seymour is our best DL and an excellent DL at that.  Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork are both very good lineman and still improving.  I don't yet think they show quite the potential of Seymour but they are very good.  As Seymour escalates so will they and there are simply only so many dollars for each position.  Seymour likely deserves a bigger cotnract, there is no doubt he'd make it on another team.  That is true of Tom Brady as well - that is true for Tedy Bruschi, Willie McGinest, David Givens, Deion Branch, Corey Dillon...

      Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:41 PM
      Subject: [patriotzip] Re: I had a feeling about this...

      Even if you are correct (which I'm not so sure you are), if the team
      and TB had not reached a deal, he may have been gone in 2 years, not
      5. Pick your poison. I think the attitude on this team would have
      suffered more if they had not signed him.

      I think they'll work something out with Seymour. But if they don't,
      we'll survive. The simple statement is; Seymour is an excellent
      player, but he's simply not as vital to the team's success as Brady
      is. I also don't think Brady's contract is exhorbitant. He makes less
      than Manning, and less than Vick. Though he may not have the numbers,
      he's arguably more effective at the position than Manning. And Vick?
      Not even close. I think the deal is good all the way around.

      Brady won't be a cancer because he's "one of the guys". Bledsoe was
      not. He alienated some team mates after his big contract. Brady
      doesn't have that problem.

      Anyone else have an opinion?

      fdb

      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "jeepndd" <jeepndd@v...> wrote:
      > Yeah, while that is all good. I can't help but think that the
      Seymour hold
      > out and Harrison's attitude doesn't have something to do with the
      exorbitant
      > contract that Tom Brady received.  I now see Brady as a cancer on
      the team.
      > Unfortunately we don't have any good prospects for quarterback for
      the short
      > term.  But, mark my words, Brady's deal means he has less than 5
      years left
      > with this team.  I think it also means that our amazing winning ways are
      > coming to a close soon, maybe one more year.  In a bizarre sort of
      way that
      > is good news for me as the bandwagonner's depart ways with their season
      > tickets I will see mine that much sooner.  I'm a Pats fan good or bad.
      >

      > Don
      >

      >   _____

      BB for a