7144RE: [patriotzip] Re: I had a feeling about this...

  • Ed Bryant
    Jun 13, 2005
      I think, if you want to be taken seriously, you should consider your original use of "cancer" in the context in which it has traditionally been used in sports cliches.  You said "I now see Brady as a cancer on this team."  Not Brady's contract, Brady.  Does the kid have a bad attitude?  Does he negotiate his contract in the newspaper?  Has he ever stopped trying to turn that 180 pound body of his into something that can withstand the rigors of his position, which, Bill Belichick reminds us, is a position in a market comprised of 32 teams, one qb per team.  A cancer?  The choice of words is carelessly provocative.

      jeepndd <jeepndd@...> wrote:

      I’m not saying Brady is trying to be subversive.  But look at this quote;

      “In terms of cap numbers, Vick's is $7.99 million this year, Brady's is $8.429 million and Manning's is $8.431 million.”  - http://cbs.sportsline.com/print/nfl/story/8466188

      While not intentional, it appears, given the grumblings we’ve seen from a few players and not just a single malcontent that this is weighing on them.  And I don’t think it’s that surprising.  Tom Brady received a contract that put him in the top three in terms of salary for his position in the NFL.  Tom Brady, for all his accomplishments, does not put up the gaudy numbers of a Michael Vick or a Peyton Manning.  Now Brady is a great QB and his numbers would be higher if he wasn’t a team guy but he didn’t take a hit on salary to stay on the team.  He could have taken less and still made more money than most of us will ever dream of and certainly enough to guarantee a comfortable lifestyle for himself and generations of his own.

      Now I won’t argue Harrison ’s position, I kind of understand it, but it is what it is.  But, Seymour ’s position?  I suspect he is looking at the fact that he is arguably the number one in his position in the NFL and his salary isn’t even in the top ten for his position.  The team could have made Tom Brady finish out his contract and then renegotiated but they didn’t take the chances that gamble would have presented.  What about Seymour ?  Don’t they value him?  This is a three time pro-bowler who hasn’t seen his last pro-bowl.  Oh, and Seymour is only entering his sixth NFL season so he’s not exactly ready to be put out to pasture yet either.  Why isn’t Seymour worth even top 5 numbers?

      So while Tom Brady may be an upstanding almost team guy his contract negotiation was hardly a take one for the team deal.  Many on this Patriots team have done what Tom hasn’t, taken a contract for the team so that this team can keep their winning ways.

      I don’t expect anyone to agree with me, this is my opinion that is all.  I would hope however that you at least consider the position arguable.

      Don