4479Rushing to Pete Carroll's defense

  • southwestnut
    Jun 29, 2004
      Bill Belichick took that same Patriots team after Pete Carroll left
      and went 5 - 11 the following year . There are many coaches who
      take 11-5 teams and have done much worse than 10-6 the following
      year. Pete Carroll has distinguished himself as a great NCAA coach
      and he did nothing while at NE to disprove the fact that he wasn't a
      good coach for us. Also Carroll went 10-6 with a first place
      schedule, Parcells went 11-5 with a last place schedule.

      BTW, Bill Parcells after his first NE playoff team (10-6) went 6-10
      the following year. Bill Belichick took his 2001 Super Bowl team
      and went 9-7 with them the following year.

      Do you realize that in the last 8 years (Parcells -1, Carroll -3,
      Belichick -4) we have had only 1 losing season?

      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "frankdanabrewster"
      <frank.dana@c...> wrote:
      > Winning percentage is one factor to use in evaluating a coach, but
      it
      > doesn't really tell the whole story. You have to look at what he
      > inherited. Parcells built a solid team, that went 11-5, and went to
      > the SB. If I remember correctly, Carroll's teams went 10-6, 9-7, 8-
      8.
      > Not exactly a good trend. I think most observers think Pete and
      Bobby
      > Grier were not very good at "shopping for the groceries". Some
      > disagree, but many say he did not instill discipline, or nurture
      that
      > work ethic that is so neccessary for success in this league. I
      don't
      > think he was too much of a nice guy, as people claim (although, by
      all
      > accounts, he was that); it's more that he wasn't single minded
      enough.
      > It's almost a requirement to succeed in the NFL. I remember hearing
      > that he liked to play jazz piano, for instance. Too much of a
      human,
      > not enough of an automaton.
      >
      > JMO,
      > fdb
      >

      > --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Bob George" <bobg@b...> wrote:
      > > > I have to admit, the first time they showed the Pats sideline
      and
      > > > their was PETE CARROLL I think I threw up a little in my
      mouth. I
      > > > can't be the only one that thinks he dserves to go down as one
      of
      > > > the worst coaches in Pats history?
      > >
      > > Not hardly...Carroll is either third in win % behind Berry and
      > Belichick.
      > >
      > > Worst Patriot head coaches?
      > >
      > > Clive Rush.
      > > John Mazur.
      > > Dick MacPherson.
      > >
      > > And the worst...
      > >
      > > Rod Rust. It's tough to say this when he coached only one year,
      but
      > that
      > > one year was abominable.
      > >
      > > Bob G