4060NPC - WAS to Make Portis Highest Paid RB

  • George R
    Mar 1, 2004

      ***** Does this kill that rumor of a Portis for Law trade?  Maybe not with certainty. This deal averages out to $6.25M/yr. I believe the deal offered to Ty was about the same average. I doubt that there will be such a deal, but it still wouldn't shock me.

      Redskins to Make Portis Highest Paid RB Ever

      According to ESPN.com insider Len Pasquarelli, Denver Broncos tailback
      Clinton Portis reached agreement Monday on a contract that makes him
      the highest-paid running back in league history, clearing the way for
      his trade to the Washington Redskins later this week.

      Portis will sign an eight-year deal that is worth $50.5 million and
      includes $17 million in combined signing and option bonuses, several
      league sources confirmed for Pasquarelli.

      And as Pasquarelli pointed out: "The agreement is a blockbuster not
      only in terms of the millions of dollars negotiated by agents Drew
      Rosenhaus and Jason Rosenhaus, but also because the Redskins were not
      under any pressure to reach a new deal with Portis. The lack of
      negotiating leverage on the part of Portis, who had said over the
      weekend that he would not hold out of training camp even if he did not
      get a new contract, certainly adds to the achievement of netting such
      a deal."

      The contract has not yet been signed, but there are no additional
      hurdles to clear. The deal will become official later this week, as
      will Portis' trade to the Redskins for Pro Bowl cornerback Champ
      Bailey and a second-round draft choice.

      Because of the NFL's annual moratorium on trades, the deal cannot be
      announced until Wednesday.

      ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **