20381Re: [patriotzip] Re: "Rebuilding Year" or "Transition Year"

    Jul 24, 2013
      Don't do that, Frank. Just use a spare pair of glasses for a while. Keep those rose colored ones. Hopefully, you can use them again in a few weeks! :-)
      --
      --- George

      On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 6:24 PM, frankdanabrewster <frank.dana@...> wrote:

      ...still trying to wash that rose color out of my glasses. ;o)

      fdb

      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, George Richman <patswingr@...> wrote:

      > I agree with the points you made about Fletcher, Francis, and Kelly, Frank.
      > But the limited action of Fletcher at LB, and Francis on the DL don't fill
      > me with confidence that they can do it in extended duty. That's how I
      > judged Wilfork, Ninkovich, and C. Jones in classifying them as solid. As
      > for Kelly, he comes to us with a rep for "taking plays off" all too often.
      > He, like Fletcher and Francis, falls into the "hopeful" column for me. They
      > all have to show us, in camp and beyond, that they truly are solid players.
      >
      > I have to stick by what I said. We have only 6 players in the Front 7 group
      > that have, IMO, proven that they are better than average in extensive play:
      > Wilfork, Ninkovich, C. Jones, Mayo, Spikes, and Hightower. Beyond them,
      > it's all "hope" and "some evidence of talent". We'll need at least 9-10
      > players performing at above average levels in that Front 7 to have the
      > defensive success we'll need to cover for our "developing" offense over the
      > first half of the season. I'm not saying that it can't happen. I just
      > contend that, while there's plenty of reason for hope, there's no evidence
      > to support a high level of confidence in it right now.
      >
      > --
      > --- George
      >

      > On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:42 PM, frankdanabrewster
      > <frank.dana@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Good breakdown, George. I would make a couple comments.
      > >
      > > You mentioned Dane Fletcher when discussing ST, but not at LB. I think he
      > > is a solid player, and really adds to the quality depth at the position.
      > >
      > > On the D-line, Justin Francis looked pretty good in limited action last
      > > year, and Tommy Kelly could add a significant veteran presence.
      > >
      > > LB and DL may be in a little better shape than you think.
      > >
      > > Yes, WR and TE are the real crap shoot here. Gronk, Edelman, and Ballard
      > > have all been placed on PUP. Remains to be seen if any of them are ready
      > > for the regular season. I would guess that we won't see Gronk until week 7.
      > >
      > > fdb
      > >
      > > --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, George Richman <patswingr@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Pick your term; but this is going to be a season of significant change
      > > for
      > > > our Patriots team.
      > > >
      > > > By my count, the Patriots have 29 rookies on the roster, as they open
      > > > Training Camp ... 29!! Just about 1/3 of the camp roster is made up of
      > > > players who have never played in an NFL game. When you add Armond
      > > Armstead
      > > > and Jason Vega, our imports from the CFL, that number goes to 31 of the
      > > 90
      > > > players on the roster. WOW! That's an incredible number of inexperienced
      > > > players. Doesn't that spell "rebuilding year"?
      > > >
      > > > Well, not necessarily. We have to look at the team in terms of the on the
      > > > field "units" to get a more accurate picture. Think about this.
      > > >
      > > > On Offense:
> [...]

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic