13238RE: [patriotzip] Re:Pats Undrafted Free Agents

    May 1, 2008
      ***** The strength issue doesn't bother me much. Working with an NFL caliber trainer can cure that in a hurry, as long as the player has the determination to work hard at it.

      ***** Speed, however, is far less liable to be significantly increased. I know that there are "speed coaches" who have helped players improve. But even they can't turn a slow guy into a fast guy. These 3 new Patriots rookies have the kind of speed I'd love to see on this team. But, as you said, Scott, we have to see if they can play at this level. Speed is great. But it, alone, will not earn anybody a spot on any NFL team.

      From: patriotzip@yahoogroups.com [mailto:patriotzip@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of kmacalp@...
      Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 4:28 PM
      To: patriotzip@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [patriotzip] Re:Pats Undrafted Free Agents

      <Mark> LB Vince Redd, Liberty (Boston Globe)
      6’ 6” 265 4.56 (Pro Day) OLB Transferred from Virginia. Failed a drug test which cost him an entire year. Needs weight room work lifting only 13 reps @ 225. Weigh 280 at Virginia but couldn’t crack the lineup at DE. 6.5 sacks as a linebacker for Liberty this past season.
      <Scott> This guy's pro day 40 would have made him the 4th fastest linebacker at the combine behind Jerod Mayo who ranked 3rd with a 4.54. (Hmmm . . . we now have the 1st and 3rd fastest linebackers from the combine along with Shawn Crable who would have been 6th if he had been listed among linebackers instead of defensive lineman (where he finished ahead of Gholston). I'm seeing a theme here. If all these guys can play NFL caliber football . . .

      The problem is that Redd managed even few reps than Guyton in the bench press.

      Scott