Re: [PathoftheCraft] Path of the Craft Book Group Meeting, 1/23/2010, 6:00 pm

  • Morgaine StormDancer
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2010
      About The Lightning Thief -- I thought there were good things and bad things about it.  Writing style was just so-so, but I did really like the idea of the Greek gods in a modern context.  Particularly the explanation as to why the gods are now centered in the United States - makes sense to me!  It was a quick, easy read and I'm looking forward to the movie -- I think it could translate even better to a film if they do it right.

      Verik, were you thinking you wanted to go opening weekend or later?  Anyone else up for a group outing?
      Happy Imbolc, everyone!

      Blessings,
      Becky
      On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:32 PM, SeverusSnape <potionsmastersnape2003@...> wrote:

      We missed you at the meeting and you missed the pie.  Kissing the Limitless promises to be good, but the cover is so slick I have a hard time keeping hold of the book.  See you all in April.  Jade

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
          Well, minor would be the wrong word, but I can see her being defined as a more of fringe element goddess. :) I'm sure she likes it that way.

          --
          Fanboy isn't the right word, but it's the first word that comes to mind.
          "Sand escapes my grasp... But I am not afraid."
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
            I take into account the intended audience.  I enjoy reading kids/young adult books, as there are many great ones out there.

            Similar to what you caught about Hecate, one thing I brought up during our discussion was how I didn't like the portrayal of Dionysus.  Mainly because the author described him as Bacchus, the Roman version, not Dionysus - who was most often described as an effeminate youth.  But I'm bound to be defensive of my patron!

            Seeing the movie the day of our next meeting might be a good idea.  We'll have to see what the movie places and times are as the date gets closer.  I just saw an extended trailer that looked really good, and a peek at the cast list on wikipedia shows a suprising number of well-known actors and actresses.
            Speaking of kids books, I'm about halfway through Kim Antieau's "Ruby's Imagine", about teenage girl in New Orleans who has a pagan/spiritual view of the world and what she experiences during Hurricane Katrina.  It's very good so far.  (I also mention this because we did one of Kim Antieau's adult books in the past - The Gaia Websters.)

            Becky