Conflicts with February Meeting?

  • Morgaine StormDancer
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 15, 2007
      As some of you may have noticed, the Academy Awards are going to air the same night as our scheduled February meeting (Sunday the 25th).  I know that at least Joanne and Sara are big on watching the Oscars.  Do you guys think we should reschedule our meeting?  If so, earlier in the day or a different day altogether?  Please weigh in!

      Hope you all had a nice Imbolc!

      Blessings,
      Becky
    • Rhianna W
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 15, 2007
        Let me know... earlier or later? is fine with me...

      • Verik Landru

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 15, 2007
            Raymond and I have previous plans for the 18th, so that wouldn't work.  :(  It also occurred to me that we'd need to check with Borders if we choose a different day to make sure they are okay with it and there's no conflicts with other groups or events, so that might be difficult.  If we do it the same day it will most likely have to be earlier, but I'm not sure when they start either.  Anyone else know?

            Becky

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 15, 2007
              2 hours earlier is fine with me!
            • Verik Landru
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 15, 2007

                Any time is fine, I'm pretty flexible.  I have plans on Monday and Tuesday of next week, but other than that, I'm free.  By the way, the TLC channel has a new series called My Unusual Family and on Monday, they are showing a family of witches--both parents and two children--should be interesting!  Verik
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 15, 2007
                  Hi,

                  I'm completely bendable. Though I say it as shouldn't.
                  As long as it doesn't fall during the 'Strong Beer Fest' this Saturday.

                  I have not a leg to stand on, meeting-wise.
                  We had one of the worst exhibit seasons ever.
                  We lost 8 people in July, and things only just got better since that
                  happened.

                  I long to be with the group again.

                  I'm finding 'Unicorn' a hard read - at least the first half. It is
                  picking up now.
                  At first it seemed to me it had no point, and now I'm dying to see what
                  happens.
                  I always wondered what Peter Beagle did, since he wrote the foreword to
                  my old LOT paperbacks.

                  I had a coupon from Borders left over from Yule, that was for 20% off
                  until 2/9 (WOW!).
                  Something to do with Walden books closing.
                  I bought `most` of my 'History of Middle Earth' at Walden books, and I
                  am sad they are closing any of them.
                  Still, I used the coupons to pick up "The Hobbit", and the Lord of the
                  Rings" in the newer Alan Lee Illustrated versions.
                  SO beautiful. I just love them.

                  I also saw today that on Amazon the -photo- for the upcoming release of
                  "The Children of Turin" is now up.
                  It is an "unpublished" story by ERR (aka Ronald) Tolkien.
                  His son has been re-editing it, and it will be released for the first
                  time as a larger, independent book.
                  The story is one of 3 main epics in "The Silmarillion".
                  I must now write to the estate and ask if son Christopher is working on
                  independent releases of the other stories from "Silmarillion".

                  My favorite (sorry if I bore you with my blather) is "Of Tutor and the
                  Fall of Gondolin".
                  If you haven't read it, imagine a city as beautiful as Minas Tirith,
                  situated on an island of rock, in a ring of hills (like Orthanc).
                  Imagine it populated with legions of elves, and looking like Imladris
                  (Rivendell).
                  Now remember the terror of the Fellowship facing off against -1single
                  Balrog- in Moria.
                  Now imagine this huge city falling utterly, while being attacked by an
                  ARMY OF BALROGS AND DRAGONS,
                  and some of the elves barely escaping with their lives. That is "The
                  fall of Gondolin".

                  I - - -SO- - - hope he re-releases it too.

                  By the way I am still looking through D.M. Kraig's book. I never got far
                  in it since he recommends you use your Tarot deck and I could not find
                  mine. Plus all heck was occurring at work since July of last year.

                  See you there, barring the unforeseen. Maybe there will be a
                  Willow-sighting (?!?!?!).

                  Mike

                  :D
                • Rhianna W
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 16, 2007
                    re two hours earlier:

                    I second that (unless I am third or...)  . Just to be sure ... that would be NEXT Sunday the 25th right??? I will be there unless I am working....

                    Never miss an email again!
                    Yahoo! Toolbar
                  • Morgaine StormDancer

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 17, 2007
                        Very good to hear from you, Mike!  I was getting worried since we hadn't seen you in a while!  I hope you can make it this month.

                        This is the 2nd time I've read The Last Unicorn and even though I enjoyed it the first time, I have a much deeper appreciation for it the 2nd time around.  I'm still figuring out why that is, but I have some theories that I will share at the meeting.  :)

                        Congrats on your new Tolkien books!  Is that story you mention in an already published book or an upcoming one?  Sounds interesting.

                        Becky

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 20, 2007
                            I'd like to say 3pm just to be safe.

                            Sara, I forget who our contact is at Borders -- can we check with them to see if this is OK?  And does this work for you?

                            Becky

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 20, 2007
                              I'll call them today and make sure there's no other events going on this Sunday.  I might just be able to make it to the meeting now! :)
                              Sara

                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 23, 2007
                                Sara, any word on if 3pm will be okay??  :)

                                Becky