incorrect "minimum partition size" in partman

  • wd8dws
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2002
      A collegue brought in a FAT32 2G drive he wants to recover some data
      from. I think he played with it with Partman before he brought it to
      me. Here's the crux of the problem:
      BIOS identifies the drive correctly. Partman shows the primary
      partition (2g) with a minimum partition size of 40K+ sectors; 20G
      approx. The maximum partition size and partition size are correct.
      Can't read the drive from DOS or Windows. I think that there is a
      problem in the MBR, but I don't know how to change it. I tried
      copying the drive (RPM "D" command) to another freshly formatted 2.5
      G drive - but now it reports the same false max partition size. Can
      anybody help?
      TIA Jim
    • muthukumar_g_2002
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2002
        To me it looks like the boot sector (not MBR) of the FAT32 partition
        is corrupted. Any tools to correct this problem? Does anyone know?

        I will narrate a similar experience: While testing RPM on a 4GB HDD (2
        GB windows & 2GB Linux), I accidentally overwrote the MBR. I recreated
        the MBR with the entire 4GB for windows. I came up on windows but my
        explorer still showed 2GB. I used FIPS (a windows utility that came
        with RedHat for resizing?) and could get it correct the problem (I
        think I recreated the partition table in MBR using the values
        displayed by FIPS). I did not bother about the linux partition as it
        was not needed.

        I am not sure whether this will help. Just my experience (in a
        different way).

        Regards,
        Muthu

        --- In partman@y..., "wd8dws" <wd8dws@y...> wrote:
        > A collegue brought in a FAT32 2G drive he wants to recover some data
        > from. I think he played with it with Partman before he brought it
        > me. Here's the crux of the problem:
        > BIOS identifies the drive correctly. Partman shows the primary
        > partition (2g) with a minimum partition size of 40K+ sectors; 20G
        > approx. The maximum partition size and partition size are correct.
        > Can't read the drive from DOS or Windows. I think that there is a
        > problem in the MBR, but I don't know how to change it. I tried
        > copying the drive (RPM "D" command) to another freshly formatted 2.5
        > G drive - but now it reports the same false max partition size. Can
        > anybody help?
        > TIA Jim
      • wd8dws
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2002
          -Thanks Muthu, I am not aware of any tools to edit (restore) the boot
          sector either. Guess it's time to kiss the data goodbye and dig out
          my DEBUG program to wipe the disk. BTW I have been very favorably
          impressed with the quality, accuracy and helpful tone of this group!
          Kudos to all!
          Jim H. (WD8DWS)

          -- In partman@y..., "muthukumar_g_2002" <muthukumar_g_2002@y...>
          wrote:
          > To me it looks like the boot sector (not MBR) of the FAT32 partition
          > is corrupted. Any tools to correct this problem? Does anyone know?
          > I will narrate a similar experience: While testing RPM on a 4GB HDD
          (2 GB windows & 2GB Linux), I accidentally overwrote the MBR. I
          recreated the MBR with the entire 4GB for windows. I came up on
          windows but my explorer still showed 2GB. I used FIPS (a windows
          utility that came with RedHat for resizing?) and could get it correct
          the problem (I think I recreated the partition table in MBR using the
          values displayed by FIPS). I did not bother about the linux partition
          as it was not needed.

          > I am not sure whether this will help. Just my experience (in a
          > different way).
          >
          > Regards,
          > Muthu
        • muthukumar_g_2002
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2002
            If you have decided to kiss the data goodbye :-), then possibly you
            can try using your debug program to manipulate the bootsector with the
            correct values for the min. partition size? Observe the values on an
            working disk and try putting similar values in the corrupt disk? I
            don't know how the bootsector for FAT32 looks like (possibly, you can
            get the layout from google search?)

            Regards,
            Muthu

            > -Thanks Muthu, I am not aware of any tools to edit (restore) the
            boot
            > sector either. Guess it's time to kiss the data goodbye and dig out
            > my DEBUG program to wipe the disk. BTW I have been very favorably
            > impressed with the quality, accuracy and helpful tone of this
            group!
            > Kudos to all!
            > Jim H. (WD8DWS)
            >
            > -- In partman@y..., "muthukumar_g_2002" <muthukumar_g_2002@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > To me it looks like the boot sector (not MBR) of the FAT32
            partition
            > > is corrupted. Any tools to correct this problem? Does anyone know?
            > > I will narrate a similar experience: While testing RPM on a 4GB
            HDD
            > (2 GB windows & 2GB Linux), I accidentally overwrote the MBR. I
            > recreated the MBR with the entire 4GB for windows. I came up on
            > windows but my explorer still showed 2GB. I used FIPS (a windows
            > utility that came with RedHat for resizing?) and could get it
            correct
            > the problem (I think I recreated the partition table in MBR using
            the
            > values displayed by FIPS). I did not bother about the linux
            partition
            > as it was not needed.
            >
            > > I am not sure whether this will help. Just my experience (in a
            > > different way).
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Muthu
          • David Howe
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2002
              > > To me it looks like the boot sector (not MBR) of the FAT32 partition
              > > is corrupted. Any tools to correct this problem?
              if fdisk/mbr doesn't work, then maybe you need to boot from a rescue
              disk and do a "SYS c:" ?
            • szezynska
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2002
                wrote:
                > I don't know how the bootsector for FAT32 looks like (possibly, you
                > can get the layout from google search?)

                Search Microsoft.com for "Disk Concepts and Troubleshooting". It is a
                chapter from Win2000 resource kits and it gives all the details of
                different MBRs and boot sectors. They had it somewhere at their site
                ready to download, but I cannot find it just now. Most of the text is
                available at the Microsoft TechNet as an on-line help. The original
                file (named FNCB_DIS.DOC) is 620k, so I rather do not attach it here,
                but if anybody is interested, I can send it to him.

                The best tool to manipulate bytes in boot sectors is the Diskman by
                James Clark - see http://www.diskman.co.uk and

                Magda
              • wd8dws
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2002
                  Magda et al;
                  Tnx for all the ideas, my friend decided his data was not worth any
                  more lunch hours poking and prodding. I have downloaded the MBR
                  article from MS and will study it. Anyway, here's the DEBUG routine
                  for zapping a HDD, if any one is interested. BE Careful, this really
                  works! Nothing is left at all when you're finished. I think I
                  originally got it from Toshiba Tech Supp when I needed to get rid of
                  EZ-Bios or one of those Bios overlay programs. Enjoy!

                  HARD DRIVE PARTITION ZAPPER

                  DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING, OR WHY. This
                  Debug procedure will wipe out all disk partitions and data on a hard
                  drive, including DOS, Xenix, and Novell Netware partitions. If you
                  are absolutely certain that you want to do this, boot from a floppy
                  containing Dos DEBUG and duplicate the following exchange of entries
                  and responses. When completed, reboot with a system diskette for the
                  O.S. you will be using (or the Partition Manager boot disk),
                  repartition the drive, and format.

                  ******WARNING*********WARNING***********WARNING***********WARNING*****

                  THIS PROCEDURE WILL ERASE ALL DATA AND FORMATTING ON THE HARD DISK

                  Note: type the characters between the quotes. Do Not type the quotes
                  themselves.

                  DEBUG exchange Comments
                  c:\ debug type "debug" at the dos prompt and press Enter
                  - type "a 100" at the Debug hypen and press
                  Enter
                  XXXX:0100 type "int 13" ; press enter
                  XXXX:0102 press enter
                  - type "rax" and press enter
                  AX000
                  : type "0301" after the colon and press enter
                  - type "rbx" after the hypen and press enter
                  BX 0000
                  : type "200" and press enter
                  - type "f 200 L 200 0" and press enter
                  - type "rcx" and press enter
                  CX 0000
                  : type "0001" and press enter
                  - type "rdx" and press enter
                  DX 0000
                  : type "0800" and press enter
                  - type "p" and press enter
                  (displays register contents)
                  - type "q" and press enter = you're done!
                • dermoyn2001
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 7, 2002
                    Hi guys,
                    At last one I can answer!
                    This is the link for "Disk Concepts and Troubleshooting":

                    http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/serverop/part1/sopch01.asp

                    Its large - 50 A4 pages if printed. Don't know what it's like - haven't read it yet. I tried accessing it again just before I sent this and the link is OK.

                    Great group, by the way. I've been quietly sitting on the sidelines waiting for a chance to contribute. All this altruism is contagious.

                    A couple of questions while I'm here:
                    1.What's the very worst that could happen if I experiment with Part? Can I only lose data? Or can I damage my hard drive? If I'm prepared for the losing of the data can I get my h/d back to it's 'from the shop' stage if anything goes wrong? I'm just worried about destroying my H/D. It's 40GB with a price tag to match. I don't have another to experiment on but its time to bite the bullet - you can only learn so much from reading.
                    2.Is it OK to have part on my C drive and run it from there instead of booting from the floppy? Or will this give me some sort of a false reading?

                    All the best
                    Dermot.

                    --- In partman@y..., "szezynska" <szezynska@m...> wrote:
                    > --- In partman@y..., "muthukumar_g_2002" <muthukumar_g_2002@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > Search Microsoft.com for "Disk Concepts and Troubleshooting". It is a
                    > chapter from Win2000 resource kits and it gives all the details of
                    > different MBRs and boot sectors. They had it somewhere at their site
                    > ready to download, but I cannot find it just now. Most of the text is
                    > available at the Microsoft TechNet as an on-line help.
                    > Magda
                  • muthukumar_g_2002
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 8, 2002
                      > A couple of questions while I'm here:
                      > 1.What's the very worst that could happen if I experiment with Part?
                      Can I only lose data? Or can I damage my hard drive? If I'm prepared
                      for the losing of the data can I get my h/d back to it's 'from the
                      shop' stage if anything goes wrong? I'm just worried about destroying
                      my H/D. It's 40GB with a price tag to match. I don't have another to
                      experiment on but its time to bite the bullet - you can only learn so
                      much from reading.

                      AFAIK, the worst thing that can happen is that you will lose all the
                      data only. I don't think there is any code in RPM to make the disk
                      crash/get damaged :-).

                      > 2.Is it OK to have part on my C drive and run it from there instead
                      of booting from the floppy? Or will this give me some sort of a false
                      reading?

                      You can run it from C. But you might get some warnings that it is not
                      advisable to run RPM from within win98/NT/2K. I don't know what the
                      implications are, if you do.

                      Regards,
                      Muthu