Re: [partman] Muthu version - boot menu

  • madshi
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1 12:55 AM
      Hi Jojo!

      > What you need is XOSL. It can do all you said you wanted to do
      > (even more than you'd expect.) There's a link in the Ranish's homepage
      > as it is completely compatible with partman. Try it, I'm sure you'll like
      it
      > :)

      But XOSL can't do more than 4 primary partitions, or am I wrong? At least it
      had this limitation last time I checked it out. I do have 8 OSs, which I
      need to be each on its own primary partition.

      Grüße · Regards... Mathias Rauen Ernst-Müller-Allee 10 Germany · 37520
      Osterode dear@... · www.madshi.net
    • no_carrier
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1 5:19 AM
        > > What you need is XOSL. It can do all you said you wanted to do
        > > (even more than you'd expect.) There's a link in the Ranish's homepage
        > > as it is completely compatible with partman. Try it, I'm sure you'll like
        > it
        > > :)
        >
        > But XOSL can't do more than 4 primary partitions, or am I wrong? At least it
        > had this limitation last time I checked it out. I do have 8 OSs, which I
        > need to be each on its own primary partition.

        Right, That's why I'm not using it.
        I don't find xosl being such useful, I don't know why so many people are fond of
        it :)))
      • muthukumar_g_2002
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1 5:50 AM
          As you found out, the feature you want is not in 2.42B at this moment.
          If I find time (please don't pin a high hope on this), I will think
          about this and the other feature request for storing & restoring MBR
          from files. Sorry about it.

          Possibly, had I known that Chirag's Partition manager existed before I
          started working on 2.42, I would not have written 2.42B :-) at all.

          Regards,
          Muthu

          --- In partman@y..., "madshi" <dear@m...> wrote:
          > Hi Gabriele!
          >
          > > You can make all the boot configs you want in your mind but you
          have to
          > remember
          > > them or write them on a piece of paper because the program itself only
          > remembers
          > > the partition list. It's still a greatly appreciated advancement
          over the
          > > previous version 2.41 .
          > > [...]
          > > If you get used to the 2.42.01 I think you will find it comfortable
          > anyway.
          > > If your boot configs are not very different one to the other you can
          > change boot
          > > config at boot time in less than 10 seconds, which is very acceptable.
          >
          > Thank you for your answer...
          >
          > However, what you say doesn't sound to be acceptable for me. I do reboot
          > very often every day into different OSs and it all has to go completely
          > automatically.
          >
          > In the moment I'm using Chirag's boot manager. It's just another
          spin off
          > the Ranish 2.41 and it works quite nicely, too. And at least I can
          name the
          > boot menu items and also select the partitions that I need to be
          available
          > with each boot partition. However, Chirag seems to have stopped the
          > development, so I would like to go to an active version like
          Muthu's. But it
          > seems, Chirag's solution is the better one for me, in the moment. So
          I'll
          > stay there, until Muthu's version can do what I need...
          >
          > FYI, here is Chirag's homepage:
          >
          > http://www.echirag.com/
          >
          > Grüße · Regards... Mathias Rauen Ernst-Müller-Allee 10 Germany · 37520
          > Osterode dear@m... · www.madshi.net
        • madshi
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1 7:15 AM
            Hi Muthu!

            > As you found out, the feature you want is not in 2.42B at this moment.
            > If I find time (please don't pin a high hope on this), I will think
            > about this and the other feature request for storing & restoring MBR
            > from files. Sorry about it.

            No problem at all. And thank you for your answer - your work is really
            appreciated!!! BTW, Chirag's Partition Manager doesn't store/restore MBRs
            from files, either. Would be a quite a nice feature, though...

            Grüße · Regards... Mathias Rauen Ernst-Müller-Allee 10 Germany · 37520
            Osterode dear@... · www.madshi.net
          • Felix Miata
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1 8:08 AM
              madshi wrote:

              > > What you need is XOSL. It can do all you said you wanted to do
              > > (even more than you'd expect.) There's a link in the Ranish's homepage
              > > as it is completely compatible with partman. Try it, I'm sure you'll like it

              > But XOSL can't do more than 4 primary partitions, or am I wrong? At least it
              > had this limitation last time I checked it out. I do have 8 OSs, which I
              > need to be each on its own primary partition.

              A configured PC HD has a partition table in the first sector. The
              partition table space is 64 bytes long. A partition table entry is
              allocated exactly 16 bytes. Therefore, the maximum number of
              simultaneous partition table entries is four. There is no means to
              change this, as no PC BIOS or OS is constucted to expect or utilize
              anything else. No PC OS can locate any partition that is undefined in
              the partition table chain (MBR + extended).

              What follows is not for the faint of heart.

              That said, you can have more than 4 primary partitions on a HD at one
              time, but there is no way to be able to access more than four at once
              unless you build your own driver specifically for that purpose.

              To have more than 4 primary partitions physically present on a HD at one
              time, you create the first four using any standard partitioning tool.
              Unless XOSL or Partman have changed since I last investigated, only
              through manual intervention with a partitioning tool can you create the
              fifth or more. To do so requires that the partition table entries for
              one or more of the first four be removed and preserved for later manual
              restoration - without changing anything in the space occupied by the
              partitions having their table entries removed. Then a partitioning tool
              capable of creating a partition in *real*, not apparent, freespace can
              be used to create the fifth or beyond. The table entries for the
              addtitional partitions are than preserved. Once all desired partitions
              have been created and all table entries have been preserved, access to
              any simply requires that the desired choice of entries is actually
              contained in the partition table.

              One tool that can somewhat simplify the process of switching which
              entries the partition table contains is DFSee. DFSee can save partition
              entries to disk. A set can be save for each manually created
              combination, and then written back to disk as required.
              --
              "And we know that all things work together for good to them that
              love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose."

              Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

              Felix Miata *** http://mrmazda.members.atlantic.net/
            • madshi
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1 9:20 AM
                Hi Felix!

                > To have more than 4 primary partitions physically present on a HD at one
                > time, you create the first four using any standard partitioning tool.
                > Unless XOSL or Partman have changed since I last investigated, only
                > through manual intervention with a partitioning tool can you create the
                > fifth or more.

                Both Muthu's and Chirag's RPM versions can handle more than 4 primary
                partitions. Actually I'm running 8 OSs in 8 primary partitions on my PC
                right now. Of course only 4 partitions can be in the MBR at the same time,
                but that's no problem, I only need 2-3 at the same time...

                Grüße · Regards... Mathias Rauen Ernst-Müller-Allee 10 Germany · 37520
                Osterode dear@... · www.madshi.net
              • Jojo BERAGO
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1 4:01 PM
                  > > Hi Jojo!
                  > >
                  > > > What you need is XOSL. It can do all you said you wanted to do
                  > > > (even more than you'd expect.) There's a link in the Ranish's
                  > homepage
                  > > > as it is completely compatible with partman. Try it, I'm sure you'll
                  > like
                  > > it
                  > > > :)
                  > >
                  > > But XOSL can't do more than 4 primary partitions, or am I wrong? At
                  > least it
                  > > had this limitation last time I checked it out. I do have 8 OSs, which I
                  > > need to be each on its own primary partition.
                  >
                  > Right, That's why I'm not using it.
                  > I don't find xosl being such useful, I don't know why so many people are
                  > fond of
                  > it :)))

                  There's a workaround on this limitation. If you can scan through the
                  archives and docs, some OS's can be installed in logical partitions
                  (which can be created as many as you want:) I've been running
                  Win9x and WinME from inside a logical partition for quite sometime
                  and I got no problems. The logical partition where you installed/run
                  Win9x will appear as drive c, just as if it was a primary.

                  > --

                • madshi
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1 4:08 PM
                    Hi Jojo...

                    > There's a workaround on this limitation. If you can scan through the
                    > archives and docs, some OS's can be installed in logical partitions
                    > (which can be created as many as you want:) I've been running
                    > Win9x and WinME from inside a logical partition for quite sometime
                    > and I got no problems. The logical partition where you installed/run
                    > Win9x will appear as drive c, just as if it was a primary.

                    Yes, I know. But I need NT, 2k and XP (and maybe even XP home +
                    professional) on my PC. That alone are 3-4 OSs, which don't work from a
                    logical partition (AFAIK), so those 3-4 OSs alone need 3-4 primary
                    partitions. The beta version of the successor of XP will get the next
                    primary partition. Then I need shared data partitions. You see, I'm clearly
                    running out of primary partitions. Logical volumes don't help me much. Also,
                    when e.g. booting XP, I need all other OS' partitions to be hidden.
                    Otherwise XP will write into the registry of the other OSs - I hate that!
                    No, XOSL is really no solution for me. I do need more than 4 primary
                    partitions. No way around that for me...

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 1 4:27 PM
                      madshi wrote:

                      > Yes, I know. But I need NT, 2k and XP (and maybe even XP home +
                      > professional) on my PC. That alone are 3-4 OSs, which don't work from a
                      > logical partition (AFAIK), so those 3-4 OSs alone need 3-4 primary
                      > partitions. The beta version of the successor of XP will get the next
                      > primary partition. Then I need shared data partitions. You see, I'm clearly
                      > running out of primary partitions. Logical volumes don't help me much. Also,
                      > when e.g. booting XP, I need all other OS' partitions to be hidden.
                      > Otherwise XP will write into the registry of the other OSs - I hate that!
                      > No, XOSL is really no solution for me. I do need more than 4 primary
                      > partitions. No way around that for me...

                      More drives will do it. One IDE controller with one HD, second IDE
                      controller with another HD, and each HD with four primaries each. In the
                      BIOS you can disable either controller to turn off the other HD. Use a
                      PCI controller for CD-ROM and a third drive and put your data partitions
                      there in either primary or logical partitions on #3.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 1 4:46 PM
                        Hi Felix!

                        > More drives will do it. One IDE controller with one HD, second IDE
                        > controller with another HD, and each HD with four primaries each. In the
                        > BIOS you can disable either controller to turn off the other HD. Use a
                        > PCI controller for CD-ROM and a third drive and put your data partitions
                        > there in either primary or logical partitions on #3.

                        That would be possible. But that would mean more cost, more heat in the PC,
                        louder fan. No thanks...

                        Please let's stop this discussion. I appreciate all your efforts to find
                        alternative solutions for me. But actually I don't need no alternative
                        solutions! I do have my system running smoothly with 8 primary partitions,
                        using Chirag's RPM spin off. Not all is perfect, but basically it's working
                        just fine. I would like an "official" RPM release more, which has all the
                        features I need. That's the only reason why I posted here. But until that
                        happens I'll happily continue using Chirag's solution...