syntax examples for command line with part

  • tmay54
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
      Forgive me for bothering the group to ask about using "part" from the
      command line....and getting the right syntax. If YOU have 2 drives
      connected, no one would dare to issue a command line without knowing
      the exact syntax for specifying a drive. The very brief description
      given by M Ranish toward the end of the web help document is copied
      below. I am thankful for what appears to be a powerful utility but
      fearful that the documentation leaves this user at risk.

      1. If [-d disk] specifies a "disk"....what is an example of syntax
      would it be part -d"0" for the first drive on primary
      controller. (Let me state how happy I am that Ranish seems to offer
      a utility that doesnt depend on drive letters like DOS.... but please
      what is the convention for a physical drive used by Ranish??)

      2. Furthermore if one wants to issue a command line on a given
      machine with 2 drives, is the Ranish label of a given physical drive
      redefined according to which drive is defined as the boot drive in
      BIOS? (during some testing setups it is common alter this in
      BIOS...but then one needs to know how Ranish will behave in such a
      new context).

      2. Are all command line variables always activated in
      combinations...and if so must the "-" be repeated....and does
      sequence matter

      EG. to format partition 2 on drive 0 (the first on primary controller)

      Would it be part -f 2 -d 0
      or part -d 0 -f 2

      3. What is the -q variable mentioned below? -q is not described

      >>>COPY>>>>
      Command line options Usage: part [-q] [-d disk] [-command ...] part
      - Interactive mode
      part -i - Print IDE disk info
      part -p - Print partition table
      part -p -r - Print info recursively
      part -a n - Activate n-th partition
      part -v n - Verify n-th partition
      part -f n ... - Format n-th partition
      part -s file - Save MBR to file
      part -l file - Load MBR from file
      part -c file - Compare MBR with file
      part -Reboot - Reboot computer The program returns exit code 0 if
      there was no errors and/or
      compared objects had no differences (1 is returned otherwise).

      Thanks for considering these documentation questions

      Ty Maynard
    • kx2k
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
        --- In partman-discussion@y..., "tmay54" <tmay@e...> wrote:
        > Forgive me for bothering the group to ask about using "part" from
        the
        > command line....and getting the right syntax. If YOU have 2 drives
        > connected, no one would dare to issue a command line without knowing
        > the exact syntax for specifying a drive. The very brief description
        > given by M Ranish toward the end of the web help document is copied
        > below. I am thankful for what appears to be a powerful utility but
        > fearful that the documentation leaves this user at risk.
        >

        > 1. If [-d disk] specifies a "disk"....what is an example of syntax
        > would it be part -d"0" for the first drive on primary
        > controller. (Let me state how happy I am that Ranish seems to offer
        > a utility that doesnt depend on drive letters like DOS.... but
        please
        > what is the convention for a physical drive used by Ranish??)
        >
        > 2. Furthermore if one wants to issue a command line on a given
        > machine with 2 drives, is the Ranish label of a given physical drive
        > redefined according to which drive is defined as the boot drive in
        > BIOS? (during some testing setups it is common alter this in
        > BIOS...but then one needs to know how Ranish will behave in such a
        > new context).
        >
        > 2. Are all command line variables always activated in
        > combinations...and if so must the "-" be repeated....and does
        > sequence matter
        >
        > EG. to format partition 2 on drive 0 (the first on primary
        controller)

        > Would it be part -f 2 -d 0
        > or part -d 0 -f 2
        >
        > 3. What is the -q variable mentioned below? -q is not described

        > Command line options Usage: part [-q] [-d disk] [-command ...]
        part
        > - Interactive mode
        > part -i - Print IDE disk info
        > part -p - Print partition table
        > part -p -r - Print info recursively
        > part -a n - Activate n-th partition
        > part -v n - Verify n-th partition
        > part -f n ... - Format n-th partition
        > part -s file - Save MBR to file
        > part -l file - Load MBR from file
        > part -c file - Compare MBR with file
        > part -Reboot - Reboot computer The program returns exit code 0 if
        > there was no errors and/or
        > compared objects had no differences (1 is returned otherwise).
        >
        > Thanks for considering these documentation questions
        >
        > Ty Maynard

        I never tried it but it looks like you could use the verify command
        instead of format to test your syntax.

        Kevin
      • kx2k
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
          --- In partman-discussion@y..., "tmay54" <tmay@e...> wrote:
          > Forgive me for bothering the group to ask about using "part" from
          the
          > command line....and getting the right syntax. If YOU have 2 drives
          > connected, no one would dare to issue a command line without knowing
          > the exact syntax for specifying a drive. The very brief description
          > given by M Ranish toward the end of the web help document is copied
          > below. I am thankful for what appears to be a powerful utility but
          > fearful that the documentation leaves this user at risk.
          >

          > 1. If [-d disk] specifies a "disk"....what is an example of syntax
          > would it be part -d"0" for the first drive on primary
          > controller. (Let me state how happy I am that Ranish seems to offer
          > a utility that doesnt depend on drive letters like DOS.... but
          please
          > what is the convention for a physical drive used by Ranish??)

          > 2. Furthermore if one wants to issue a command line on a given
          > machine with 2 drives, is the Ranish label of a given physical drive
          > redefined according to which drive is defined as the boot drive in
          > BIOS? (during some testing setups it is common alter this in
          > BIOS...but then one needs to know how Ranish will behave in such a
          > new context).
          >
          > 2. Are all command line variables always activated in
          > combinations...and if so must the "-" be repeated....and does
          > sequence matter
          >
          > EG. to format partition 2 on drive 0 (the first on primary
          controller)

          > Would it be part -f 2 -d 0
          > or part -d 0 -f 2
          >
          > 3. What is the -q variable mentioned below? -q is not described

          > Command line options Usage: part [-q] [-d disk] [-command ...]
          part
          > - Interactive mode
          > part -i - Print IDE disk info
          > part -p - Print partition table
          > part -p -r - Print info recursively
          > part -a n - Activate n-th partition
          > part -v n - Verify n-th partition
          > part -f n ... - Format n-th partition
          > part -s file - Save MBR to file
          > part -l file - Load MBR from file
          > part -c file - Compare MBR with file
          > part -Reboot - Reboot computer The program returns exit code 0 if
          > there was no errors and/or
          > compared objects had no differences (1 is returned otherwise).
          >
          > Thanks for considering these documentation questions
          >
          > Ty Maynard

          Another try from me,

          1. Looks like drive numbers start with 1
          2. Should boot from floppy so I don't know if that matters, I could
          be wrong.
          3. I would think - must be repeated, check for yourself
          4. I would use part -d 1 -f 2 , check for yourself
          5. The only thing that makes sense to me for q is q=quiet, the other
          choice is q=quick for quick format

          The new beta version has a command line utility with more options. I
          never used it just read the help file.

          Are you just curious or writing a batch file? I never used the
          command line except to print out my partition table.

          Kevin
        • tmay54
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
            Thanks, Kevin for your inputs on command line safety.

            I havent copied the prior questions, which exist up on the thread.

            It hadn't occurred to me to use the verify option along with calling various drives to see what happens. I will begin with the assumption that primary first drive is 1 and not 0.
            Maybe one day M Ranish will have timeout from development to document this.

            My reason for interest in the command line is that format in the GUI seems to be buried within the wizard for creating a new partition out of unused space. Even then format is not offered until the partition and option elected to "Save it"

            I don't recall being able to highlight a given partition and format (or reformat) by F key or some other command. Perhaps I need to revisit the GUI for some other route to format.

            The GUI is amazingly busy for a small program... because it isthe interface for so many utility functions toggled among the windows and menus.

            Formatting in DOS of course is not ambigous, because it is a separate program which cannot move or change a partition. However DOS can really foul up if one forgets or doesnt anticipate the drive letter assignments when formatting.

            This seems to be a powerful utility , but one that makes fear at each step of learning.

            Ty Maynard
          • kx2k
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
              --- In partman-discussion@y..., "tmay54" <tmay@e...> wrote:
              > Thanks, Kevin for your inputs on command line safety.
              >
              > I havent copied the prior questions, which exist up on the thread.
              >
              > It hadn't occurred to me to use the verify option along with
              calling various drives to see what happens. I will begin with the
              assumption that primary first drive is 1 and not 0.
              > Maybe one day M Ranish will have timeout from development to
              document this.

              > My reason for interest in the command line is that format in the
              GUI seems to be buried within the wizard for creating a new partition
              out of unused space. Even then format is not offered until the
              partition and option elected to "Save it"

              > I don't recall being able to highlight a given partition and format
              (or reformat) by F key or some other command. Perhaps I need to
              revisit the GUI for some other route to format.

              > The GUI is amazingly busy for a small program... because it isthe
              interface for so many utility functions toggled among the windows and
              menus.

              > Formatting in DOS of course is not ambigous, because it is a
              separate program which cannot move or change a partition. However DOS
              can really foul up if one forgets or doesnt anticipate the drive
              letter assignments when formatting.

              > This seems to be a powerful utility , but one that makes fear at
              each step of learning.

              > Ty Maynard

              I would stick to the gui myself, it is easier for me to see what's
              going on. Practice on the simulation program awhile and it shouldn't
              give you any problems.

              Kevin