Hail, Mikhail Ranish ! and, what does [F7] do actually ?

  • Bertho G
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2011
      Hail you all good people and special salute and respects to Mikhail Ranish !

      Seeing this group is not dead (quite) is /good/. As an old faithful user of RPM (2.43 mostly), there is the question that I always wanted to know but never dared to ask (or just experiment with, deity forbid).

      Can someone please explain to this old man what EXACTLY the [F7] key, mentionned in Muthu's paper, is supposed to do ? Possibly my bad English being the cause, or because I'm dumb, I could never quite figure it. My best guess being it rewrites the MBR, possibly EMBRs too, according to RPM's "volume table of contents" (VTOC) which is stored inside of RPM's private partition on the disk ?

      I'd like to express my gratitude to M.R. for the marvelous, free (almost so) tool he made available to the community, and I'd appreciate an answer to my above question from one of the experts on the list.

      Regards

      --
      Bertho