Hail, Mikhail Ranish ! and, what does [F7] do actually ?

  • Bertho G
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2011
      Hail you all good people and special salute and respects to Mikhail Ranish !

      Seeing this group is not dead (quite) is /good/. As an old faithful user of RPM (2.43 mostly), there is the question that I always wanted to know but never dared to ask (or just experiment with, deity forbid).

      Can someone please explain to this old man what EXACTLY the [F7] key, mentionned in Muthu's paper, is supposed to do ? Possibly my bad English being the cause, or because I'm dumb, I could never quite figure it. My best guess being it rewrites the MBR, possibly EMBRs too, according to RPM's "volume table of contents" (VTOC) which is stored inside of RPM's private partition on the disk ?

      I'd like to express my gratitude to M.R. for the marvelous, free (almost so) tool he made available to the community, and I'd appreciate an answer to my above question from one of the experts on the list.

      Regards

      --
      Bertho
    • doc_chiron
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 18
        Greetings from your absentee moderator:
        Its been a good 10 years since I last appeared here having abandoned my post without seeking a volunteer replacement. Way back then I was using Windows XP and no other OSes. I was reasonably satisfied with XP but had switched to NTFS file systems exclusively. Sure, I had dreams of learning Linux or Unix, but until the cost of HDDs came down I decided HDTV was more important as subject matter.
        I have forgotten most of what I knew about RPM because I did not need it and because it would NOT format NTFS partitions.
        F7 is something I never had to use and only vaguely remember it had something to do with retrieving a previous copy of either RPM itself and/or the details of the bootable partition list.

        I was only able to return here after Yahoo provided me a way to reset my user name and password (plus they were pestering me about some permissions or such).

        I am a Windows X user, but not an expert. I do not know all of what WinX when the update their software on your PC, but I would not be surprised if they routinely overwrote the MBR sector. Impolite, but it is their OS.
        i am sure the only reasonable solution would require you having a way to store and recall the MBR sector as well as the stored location of the MBR program code as well as the saved partition lists. I'm not a coder, so I cannot help with a solution. I think that the time for MBR based partitioning is closing as GPT partitioning gains popularity.
        Best of luck. Volunteer moderator position is available.