win7 and part244

  • robert
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2010
      Hello to all my fellow partman users! I will be surprised if this message generates any responses, as I notice no new posts for about a year. I have been a silent experimenter and grateful user for a while. Any issues I have had with the program have been resolved by returning to the documentation, searching here (which usually guided me back to the documentation (with improved focus)) and cautious experimentation. This has been my introductory paragraph.

      Now having searched for information regarding interaction between partman and win7, and having noticed that the partman group at yahoo seems to be in a state of suspension...

      ...Is anybody out there? Out here?

      Truely, warmest regards,

      Bob DuBois
    • Antoine Leca
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2011
        > Now having searched for information regarding interaction
        > between partman and win7,

        Would be few! Win7 is in the same state (well, almost) as were Win4 back
        in 1996, i.e. there is no support for NTFS volumes in RPM and this is
        slightly annoying; but of course you can live with this. More of a
        hindrance is the fact RPM does reset the disk signature in the boot
        record whenever it writes it, and this fudges Windows (a good news here
        is that Vista/Seven requires the system to be located in C:\Windows, so
        the problem is actually less severe now!)

        And while you can do most of RPM tasks with Seven's tools like diskpart,
        RPM is still useful on its own, like to format FAT32 partition beyond
        the 32GB limit Microsoft consider being the top!

        Bottom line, RPM works great to achieve whatever configuration you
        envision for your disk, and then (multi-) booting Win7 instead of say
        Win4 is the least of its problems. Enjoy!

        Antoine