Re: HDD switching and Ranish restore

  • stock_market_player
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 14 6:26 PM
      Thank you very much for your reply Antoine.

      So RPM only tries to automatically restore the partition table when he sees that the partitions in the MBR don't match the information in the special RPM partion at the end of the disk, correct?

      So, in principle there shouldn't be any problem with removing one HDD. From RPM point of view, all the HDDs are coherent, in the sense that the information in the MBR matches with the info in the special RPM partition at the end of the disk.

      > *UNLESS* you are using a strange setup of a customized version of
      > Ranish boot manager to boot directly to the 2nd or 3rd disk
      > _and_ hiding some other partitions meanwhile, it is very unlikely
      > to have RPM writing partition tables of the _other_ drives
      > "automagically."

      I'm using either RPM 2.43 or 2.44 (I don't remember which one), which was downloaded from here a long time ago (3 years ago I think).

      What exactly is the meaning of "to boot directly to the ..."?
      I only boot to the first hard drive, but my other 2 drives have the boot flag enabled in order to silent RPM warning of them not having any boot partition set.

      Once again thank you.
    • Antoine Leca
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29 3:33 AM
        stock_market_player wrote on September 15th:
        > Thank you very much for your reply Antoine.

        You are welcome.

        > So RPM only tries to automatically restore the partition
        > table when he sees that the partitions in the MBR don't match
        > the information in the special RPM partion at the end of the
        > disk, correct?

        Yes, something along those lines.
        To be certain your understanding is correct, you can use the simulation
        tools: first using part244sim.exe you create several partitions, some of
        them in the VTOC and lacking entries in the MBR (be sure to include a F0
        partition); then use part240sim.exe (which only edits the MBR and will
        not touch to the VTOC) to modfiy the MBR, to simulate the effect of a
        "foreign" tool; last, check what will show part244sim.exe when it mixes
        the entries in VTOC _and_ the "new" entries in the MBR: I expect red
        entries...

        > So, in principle there shouldn't be any problem with removing
        > one HDD. From RPM point of view, all the HDDs are coherent,
        > in the sense that the information in the MBR matches with the
        > info in the special RPM partition at the end of the disk.
        >
        > > *UNLESS* you are using a strange setup of a customized version of
        > > Ranish boot manager to boot directly to the 2nd or 3rd disk _and_
        > > hiding some other partitions meanwhile, it is very unlikely to have
        > > RPM writing partition tables of the _other_ drives "automagically."
        >
        > What exactly is the meaning of "to boot directly to the ..."?

        Long ago (2.37 ?), RPM allowed to boot directly to the 2nd+ harddisk,
        and also allowed to select an entry which would select up to 3
        partitions, "hiding" the others; I am not sure official version of RPM
        allowed the mix of the two options (i.e. booting the 2nd disk _and_
        hiding partitions on say the 1st disk), but it exists boot managers
        around which do have such possibility (plus RPM was open sourced.)

        I do not believe the 2.4x serie still have such options, but there are
        stigmates of them in the UI. And it is certainly possible to build them
        in a "customized version"...

        Antoine