RPM on RAID Drives

  • J. Jay Forbes
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2008
      Hello all,

      Four 500GB drives in RAID 5 array. Presently set-up as one big C: drive.
      Windows XP x64
      RPM 2.40.00

      Goal: separate partitions for Windows XP, Windows XP x64 and data.
      I cannot get RPM to run on this machine. Is there a version that will
      run under my OS? Will it work with my disk set-up? I have also tried
      Acronis and Norton partition managers with no luck.

      Thanks,
      J. Jay
    • Jim Michaels
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 23, 2008
        I think windows requires RAID drivers during install for a reason.
        getting all the vendor-specific RAID drivers from every RAID and chipset/motherboard mfr into RPM would be likely near impossible.

        Jim Michaels
        jmichae3@...
        http://JesusnJim.com

      • Antoine Leca
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 24, 2008
          J. Jay Forbes wrote on Saturday, September 20th, 5:40 PM
          > To: partman@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [partman] RPM on RAID Drives
          >
          > Four 500GB drives in RAID 5 array. Presently set-up as one
          > big C: drive.
          > Windows XP x64
          > RPM 2.40.00

          <some point moved below>
          > I cannot get RPM to run on this machine.

          You did not give much information about what you intented and what
          failed, so I would have to guess. Please correct me where I am wrong.

          You have some unnamed RAID board with 4 drives attached, to a net total
          of 1.35 TiB, and no other disk in sight.
          Since you are under the 2 TiB barrier (and using an OS which AFAIK
          cannot boot from anything else than MBR partition scheme), you
          partionned it using Windows with MBR scheme.
          You do not have activated BIOS support for the RAID board, so you used
          the "scsi" 32-bit driver for your board, renammed to NTBOOTDD.SYS, in
          order to boot the system, and you are using the scsi() syntax within the
          boot.ini file.

          > Is there a version that will run under my OS?

          No. RPM runs under a (private) 32-bit extender on top of BIOS or DOS,
          excluding any other alternative.
          Note it is not usually a problem, since you are not expected to surf the
          web or building a spreasheet at the same time you are changing the
          partitions of your hard disk. :-)

          > Will it work with my disk set-up?

          If you are in the very setups I described above, no (unless of course
          you have knowingly disabled the BIOS support, in which case it is as
          easy as re-enabling it): RPM needs BIOS support to access the disk.

          In a similar case, I had success with Microsoft's diskpart running on
          top of Windows PE (or BartPE, or whatever similar tool) with the very
          same specific drivers you use to access the array. Very rough, but it is
          able to do most tasks you may perform with RPM, just that you do not
          have the level of control RPM is giving you.

          > I have also tried Acronis and Norton partition managers with no luck.

          It is not the place to discuss these tools here (and I am not fluent
          with them either), but I would have expected success with them.
          Furthermore, since they are commercial tools with respectable companies
          behind them, I am surprised their support gave up.

          <the next point was earlier in the original message>
          > Goal: separate partitions for Windows XP, Windows XP x64 and data.

          Well, perhaps your problem were more basic at the end.
          What you are really asking for is to be able to resize (shrink) your
          existing C: volume, in order to create two new volumes (for another
          Windows and "datas"), ain't you?
          And of course the present big volume is formatted as NTFS...
          So what you are asking for is a tool to shrink a NTFS volume.
          Of course RPM is completely unable to deal with such a task, first
          because it does not known anything about NTFS, and second because it is
          not the right tool to use to shrink a volume.

          Of course there are ample material covering this on the web, but it
          should suffice to say that this is a task that can be done with the
          diskpart version included with Windows PE 2.x (freely available from
          Microsoft if I understand correctly the licensing conditions, seek about
          AIK).
          Hope it helps,

          Antoine