Hide partitions

  • Greg Strong
    Message 1 of 11 , May 11, 2008
      Hello All,

      I just installed Ranish's Partition Manager 2.44. Is the only
      way to hide a partition is to remove it from the table?

      I suspect the answer is yes after reading Tromgettworks unless I'm
      missing something.

      Quote:

      "this is the way with which we hide the other partitions to the
      currently running operating system: deleting their entries from the
      MBR and making them appear as unpartitioned space."

      If this is the case, then I would gather the best way to manage is to
      have a separate partition to boot DOS. Is this correct, or am I
      missing something?

      --
      Best Regards,
      Greg Strong
      Message 2 of 11 , May 14, 2008
        You can actually choose to hide a partition.

        You do NOT want to remove it .. Bad Idea

        > I just installed Ranish's Partition Manager 2.44. Is
        > the only
        > way to hide a partition is to remove it from the table?
        >
        > I suspect the answer is yes after reading Tromgettworks
        > unless I'm
        > missing something.
        >
        > Quote:
        >
        > "this is the way with which we hide the other
        > partitions to the
        > currently running operating system: deleting their entries
        > from the
        > MBR and making them appear as unpartitioned space."
        >

        > If this is the case, then I would gather the best way to
        > manage is to
        > have a separate partition to boot DOS. Is this correct, or
        > am I
        > missing something?
        >
        > --
        > Best Regards,
        > Greg Strong

      • Greg Strong
        Message 3 of 11 , May 17, 2008
          Hello JESSE,

          Wednesday, May 14, 2008, 5:22:39 PM, JESSE LAROCQUE wrote:

          JL> You can actually choose to hide a partition.

          JL> You do NOT want to remove it .. Bad Idea

          Yes.

          Well I'm new to Ranish's Partition Manager 2.44. After reading up and
          a few tweaks here and there I think I've got the basics down. I
          really only wanted it to have 2 bootable Win XP Pro partitions due to
          problems with different versions of applications on the same bootable
          partition. I can see how this will work well.

          After purchasing a large hard disk last year and getting the basics
          down I might be up for resizing a partition and installing Linux. Just
          thinking out loud.

          If you go over the 4 partions, I would imaging you have to use
          part244.exe to create the additional primary partitions. Correct?

          --
          Best Regards,
          Greg Strong
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19, 2008
            Hi Greg,

            You get 4 primary partitions period.

            you can put 20 Operating systems on the same hard drive if you want .. all in their own Primary partition .. How is that? .. you may ask

            http://www.trombettworks.com/multi-boot.htm

            I think you will enjoy that.

            DO NOT lose your "Paper" once you write down what cyl heads and sectors you decided to use..

            Enjoy, Jesse

            > Wednesday, May 14, 2008, 5:22:39 PM, JESSE LAROCQUE wrote:
            >
            > JL> You can actually choose to hide a partition.
            >
            > JL> You do NOT want to remove it .. Bad Idea
            >
            > Yes.
            >
            > Well I'm new to Ranish's Partition Manager 2.44.
            > After reading up and
            > a few tweaks here and there I think I've got the basics
            > down. I
            > really only wanted it to have 2 bootable Win XP Pro
            > partitions due to
            > problems with different versions of applications on the
            > same bootable
            > partition. I can see how this will work well.
            >
            > After purchasing a large hard disk last year and getting
            > the basics
            > down I might be up for resizing a partition and installing
            > Linux. Just
            > thinking out loud.
            >
            > If you go over the 4 partions, I would imaging you have to
            > use
            > part244.exe to create the additional primary partitions.
            > Correct?
            >
            > --
            > Best Regards,
            > Greg Strong

          • Antoine Leca
            Message 5 of 11 , May 20, 2008
              Hi Greg,

              There are two (very different) concepts of "hidden partitions".

              At the basic level, an hidden partition is something which lies on the
              disc but is not visible by the currently running operating system.

              One idea is to use a different SysId for the partition to hide; this
              concept is so widely used that RPM (and others) supports it, if you have
              say a FAT32LBA partition (0xC), if you change it to 0x1C (note the added
              0x10) RPM will say it is now "Hidden FAT32LBA"; otherwise all the things
              are the same.
              The problem with this way is that some operating systems are also aware
              of the "0x10 trick" _and_ do not honour it, so at the end the partition
              is not hidden :-(

              The other idea is much more radical: the partition is stripped away from
              the official partition table! This way, there are no possibility to some
              operating system to know where is the hidden partition, in fact they are
              not even able to know the partition ever exist!
              To use this way with RPM, there is the "Trombet" way, which work with
              many partitioning software but is easier to use with RPM: you print the
              real partition table on paper, then you remove the partition you want to
              hide within RPM, BUT you do not allocate the space, you left it
              "unused". When you want to unhide the partition, you just need to enter
              RPM and put the partition back, usually it is just a couple of digits
              (start and ending cylinders) to type, done!

              With the latest 2.44 version, there is another way, quite similar in
              essence; but instead of using some sheet of paper, you record the real
              partition table (call the VTOC) in a special area of the disk; when
              launched, RPM will recognize this table and show you all the partitions:
              now it is merely the job to select which ones you will put in the 4
              primary slots of the MBR, to make them "visibles"; all others will stay
              hidden.

              Hope it helps.

              Antoine

            • Greg Strong
              Message 6 of 11 , May 21, 2008
                Hello Antoine,

                Tuesday, May 20, 2008, 12:57:28 PM, Antoine Leca wrote:

                AL> With the latest 2.44 version, there is another way, quite similar in
                AL> essence; but instead of using some sheet of paper, you record the real
                AL> partition table (call the VTOC) in a special area of the disk; when
                AL> launched, RPM will recognize this table and show you all the partitions:
                AL> now it is merely the job to select which ones you will put in the 4
                AL> primary slots of the MBR, to make them "visibles"; all others will stay
                AL> hidden.

                Yes this is what I'm doing now. See box quote below. So basically
                when more than 4 partitions you use a shell game of which partitions
                to use by using part244.exe when I boot to my DOS partition.
                Definitely once I understood the ideal better than other multi-boot
                software used in the past.

                I haven't figured out how to print the entire table show when boot to
                DOS which discloses the starting and ending cylinders and sectors with
                partition size. The command used below is missing some of the info.
                I've printed to paper but it would be nice to put in a text file.

                ,----- [ Command: part244 /print > part244.txt ]
                | Disk # Int13 Partitions Cylinders Heads Sectors Mbytes Used
                | Disk 1 (LBA) 9 + 0 = 9 [ 60,801 x 255 x 63 ] 476,940.0 99.0%
                | Active Volume Partition % of
                | # Type:#  File System Type Label Size [Mb] disk
                |
                | 1 Pri:1 A DOS FAT-16 (<32M) DOSFat16 23.5 0.0%
                | 2 Pri:2 Windows NT NTFS 24,991.7 0.4%
                | 3 Pri:3 Hidden NTFS 24,999.5 0.4%
                | 4 Pri:4 Linux ext2fs 2,996.4 0.1%
                | 5 Pri:5 Linux swap 227.4 0.0%
                | 6 Pri:6 Hidden NTFS 25,007.4 0.4%
                | 7 Pri:7 Hidden NTFS 24,999.5 0.4%
                | 8 Pri:8 Windows FAT-32 LBA FAT32DATA 373,675.9 3.1%
                | 9 Pri:9 Boot Manager 15.6 0.0%
                | Pri Unused 2.4 0.0%
                `-----

                Probably a good thing to print to paper anyhow.

                --
                Best Regards,
                Greg Strong
                Message 7 of 11 , May 27, 2008
                  Hello Greg,

                  > I haven't figured out how to print the entire table show when
                  > boot to DOS which discloses the starting and ending cylinders
                  > and sectors with partition size.

                  With part244 /Extra, you'll got three tables: the first gives you a
                  resume with the (rounded) size in MiB (and the label of the partition
                  id), the same as you got with /Print; the second gives you all the
                  details you need to enter the datas, including the exact size in
                  _sectors_; and the third (after all the boot-record dumps) is a
                  technical one that shows you what is stored in the MBR, so restricted to
                  the 4 "actual" primaries.

                  Previous RPM versions had "part -p -r" to print the same details.

                  Antoine
                • britonusa
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 27, 2008
                    --- In partman@yahoogroups.com, Greg Strong <Greg_EmailLists@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I've printed to paper but it would be nice to put in a text file.

                    After the command/parameters which Antoine has detailed, merely add
                    the DOS command to route the output to a text file. Obviously, if
                    the file is not to be saved in the current path, you should include
                    the full path to the file in a way that DOS will recognise, for
                    example:

                    part -p -r >A:\filename.txt

                    or:

                    part244 /Extra >A:\filename.txt

                    If you want to append an existing file with the new information,
                    i.e. add the entire new information to the end of the existing file,
                    simply use >> in place of > e.g.

                    part244 /Extra >>A:\filename.txt

                    Hope that helps!
                  • Greg Strong
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 27, 2008
                      Hello Antoine,

                      Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 3:50:25 AM, Antoine Leca wrote:

                      AL> With part244 /Extra

                      This works great. Thanks!

                      ,----- [ Command: part244 /extra > part244.txt ]
                      | Disk # Int13 Partitions Cylinders Heads Sectors Mbytes Used
                      | Disk 1 (LBA) 9 + 0 = 9 [ 60,801 x 255 x 63 ] 476,940.0 99.0%
                      | Active Volume Partition % of
                      | # Type:#  File System Type Label Size [Mb] disk
                      |
                      | 1 Pri:1 A DOS FAT-16 (<32M) DOSFat16 23.5 0.0%
                      | 2 Pri:2 Windows NT NTFS 24,991.7 0.4%
                      | 3 Pri:3 Hidden NTFS 24,999.5 0.4%
                      | 4 Pri:4 Linux ext2fs 2,996.4 0.1%
                      | 5 Pri:5 Linux swap 227.4 0.0%
                      | 6 Pri:6 Hidden NTFS 25,007.4 0.4%
                      | 7 Pri:7 Hidden NTFS 24,999.5 0.4%
                      | 8 Pri:8 Windows FAT-32 LBA FAT32DATA 373,675.9 3.1%
                      | 9 Pri:9 Boot Manager 15.6 0.0%
                      | Pri Unused 2.4 0.0%
                      | Master Boot Record DOES NOT HAVE standard IPL code.
                      |
                      | Partition table details:
                      |
                      | Active Starting Ending Starting Number of Ending
                      | # Type:#  FS Cyl Head Sct Cyl Head Sct sector sectors sector
                      |
                      | MBR 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0
                      | Pri 00h 0 0 2 0 0 63 1 62 62
                      | 1 Pri:1 A 04h 0 1 1 2 254 63 63 48,132 48,194
                      | 2 Pri:2 07h 3 0 1 3,188 254 63 48,195 51,183,090 51,231,284
                      | 3 Pri:3 17h 3,189 0 1 6,375 254 63 51,231,285 51,199,155 102,430,439
                      | 4 Pri:4 83h 6,376 0 1 6,757 254 63 102,430,440 6,136,830 108,567,269
                      | 5 Pri:5 82h 6,758 0 1 6,786 254 63 108,567,270 465,885 109,033,154
                      | 6 Pri:6 17h 6,787 0 1 9,974 254 63 109,033,155 51,215,220 160,248,374
                      | 7 Pri:7 17h 9,975 0 1 13,161 254 63 160,248,375 51,199,155 211,447,529
                      | 8 Pri:8 0Ch13,162 0 1 60,798 254 63 211,447,530 765,288,405 976,735,934
                      | 9 Pri:9 F0h60,799 0 1 60,800 254 63 976,735,935 32,130 976,768,064
                      | Pri 00h60,801 0 1 60,801 80 63 976,768,065 5,103 976,773,167
                      |
                      | Partition records exactly as they appear in MBR (EMBR):
                      |
                      | Starting Ending Starting Number of
                      | # HD FS Cyl Head Sect Cyl Head Sect sector sectors
                      | (0,0,1):
                      | 1 80 04 0 1 1 2 254 63 63 48,132
                      | 2 00 07 3 0 1 1,023 254 63 48,195 51,183,090
                      | 3 00 0C 1,023 254 63 1,023 254 63 211,447,530 765,288,405
                      | 4 00 F0 1,023 254 63 1,023 254 63 976,735,935 32,130
                      `-----

                      Unrelated issue: Any reason why Yahoo servers take so long to return
                      email on this list? Days for me...

                      --
                      Best Regards,
                      Greg Strong
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 27, 2008
                        Hello britonusa,

                        Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 1:07:28 PM, britonusa wrote:

                        b> part244 /Extra >>A:\filename.txt

                        b> Hope that helps!

                        Yes the '/Extra' did, I've known about the DOS redirect command for
                        many years.

                        --
                        Best Regards,
                        Greg Strong
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 31, 2008
                          Greg Strong wrote:
                          > Hello All,
                          >
                          > I just installed Ranish's Partition Manager 2.44. Is the only
                          > way to hide a partition is to remove it from the table?

                          Are you trying to hide a partition from someone or hide partitions from
                          each other. If you are trying to hide a partition from say the kids,
                          that is one thing. But if you are trying to hide them from each other, why?

                          Ray