Drive Size Limited To 33GB

  • oka735i
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2007
      I have tried about ten utilities including FDISK, to try and get the
      full 200GB (185GB after partitioning) capacity. This is the deal.

      I was using PartitionMagic 8 to move a partition, however, decided to
      stop the action, thinking the action has not yet started so I stopped
      it. After that, the drive's structure got messed up. I could get
      only 33GB from the drive. Of all the about ten utilities I have
      tried, Partman seems to be the "best" of them all.

      While playing with it, and entering some numbers, I could see 198+GB,
      but since I was just messing with it, I did not want to save the
      changes before the drive spoils beyond repair. I read the
      instructions on how to use it, but due to my English deficiencies, I
      could not really get to know what numbers to input into the Beginning
      and Ending Cylinder-Head-Sector columns. FDISK and Write-TO-Zero by
      the manufacturer's utility will not fix it.

      SPECIFICATION
      BIOS is capable of the drive size since I have being using it on this
      motherboard and currently, I have attached another 200GB drive. The
      drive is a Western Digital 200GB hard drive: Model #: WD2000JB,
      Cylinders: 16383, Heads: 16, Sectors: 63.

      GOAL
      My goal is to able to restore the "full" size of the drive.
      Also on how to imput the correct numbers in the correct column.
      I don't need the data on the drive since I have a current Ghost image
      of the drive.

      Thanks for your help in advance.
    • Antoine Leca
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 15, 2007
        oka735i asked:
        > I have tried about ten utilities including FDISK, to try and get the
        > full 200GB (185GB after partitioning) capacity. This is the deal.
        >
        > I was using PartitionMagic 8 to move a partition, however, decided to
        > stop the action, thinking the action has not yet started so I stopped
        > it. After that, the drive's structure got messed up. I could get
        > only 33GB from the drive. Of all the about ten utilities I have
        > tried, Partman seems to be the "best" of them all.
        >
        > While playing with it, and entering some numbers, I could see 198+GB,
        > but since I was just messing with it, I did not want to save the
        > changes before the drive spoils beyond repair. I read the
        > instructions on how to use it, but due to my English deficiencies,

        Please post the result of part -r (or part /info if using v.2.44) here,
        in order to figure how we can help you (currently I am in full smog, I
        need some real datas!)

        Alternatively, you may have a better experience going to the
        manufacturer of your disk, they used to offer some maintenance tools
        that, among other tools, can restore this kind of missetup (capping the
        drive, if I understand correctly).

        Antoine