Re: Hi desperate need of help

  • brakers15
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2007
      --- In partman@yahoogroups.com, "try_me_imfree" <try_me_imfree@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi i have an acer aspire which came pre loaded with Vista home
      basic.
      > My problem is that as i play online games i found some games still
      > not supporting Vista.
      > So in my haste to correct this i decided to install my own copy of
      > WinXP proffesional.
      > This is where it all went crazy, i hadnt realized the laptop came
      > with a hidded partition containing the vista basic installer.
      > So when i ran XP it wanted to format the drive i had no probs with
      > this and as it was only a 60gig i left it as one partition.
      > Now i get new updates and expansion packs for the games i play and
      > now find the ones i mainly play now support Vista.
      >
      > So i went to re-install vista from the back up disc's i was
      prompted
      > to create on first using the laptop.
      > But heres where it all went wrong, first thing was i got error
      > messages saying it couldnt find this and that.
      > Then i realized what these messages was on about, xp had totally
      > wiped the hard drive so no hidden partition was to be found.So
      vista
      > wouldnt go back on the laptop.
      >
      > SO my plea for help is how do i create the enviroment the laptop
      had
      > before it got wiped.
      >
      > I can create non-dos partitions but then to hide it and load it
      with
      > vista. So when i boot my laptop it will once again run through the
      > setup for vista is well beyond me.
      >
      > Acer want to charge me £50 plus postage for them to do it. Thier
      > logic being it was my own fault that i lost my operating system etc
      > etc and had it been a laptop malfunction they would have done it
      free
      > under wanrantee.
      >
      > So can any one help and instruct me how to create this partition
      pre-
      > load it with vista and then hide it. So when the laptop starts
      afresh
      > ist will run the vista installer.
      >
      > humbly yours
      > john

      Hi There
      I don't think this is too much of a problem. as you have
      already bought a licence for vista all you need is a copy of vista to
      re-install the system. I have been told that every DVD of vista has
      every type of operating system on it, ie basic, premium, ultimate
      etc "I don't know how true that is" but if that is true any vista
      disc will load and your COA will tell the DVD to load the apropriate
      files. If you have a freind or relation that has vista borrow the DVD
      from him. If not I have a pre release DVD of Vista that should allow
      you to install and get your system up and running again. You will
      need the drivers for the motherboard etc which should of been
      supplied by the company who sold you the pc. If you want to disscuss
      this further Email me at abrakewell1@...
      Hope this helps
      Kindest Regards Tony B.
    • John Rozehnal
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2007
        Hello... This is not reply to the post, since I do not
        have that problem myself, nor I do have the
        experience, BUT - it is one more question for
        "britonusa":

        On the original question John from UK said "So i went
        to re-install vista from the back up disc's i was
        prompted to create on first using the laptop."
        This suggest that he ODES HAVE as matter of fact the
        back-up discs of Vista. Now, why he cannot use them to
        re-insatll the system? Isn't that an error on
        Microsoft and/or vendor side to make this easier.
        I am planing to buy new laptop soon and it will have
        Vista of course (now, I have XP pro) and I might very
        well end up in the same situation (just by chance my
        name is John as well hehe).
        I believe, than if I do create the back-ups as
        instructed after first use of the comp, it SHOULD work
        and if it doesn't the vendor SHOULD do it for free for
        me. Beacuse it shouldn't matter if the system got
        wiped out from HDD by me formating or by error on
        disc. If I have back-up discs created as I was
        instructed and they do not work, then it is not my
        fault... Am I wrong?

        Thanks John from Canada