FAT32 partition types

  • asrivaths@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2001
      Hi,

      I need some help figuring out FAT32 partition types (0xC and 0xB). I
      tried
      looking around in the web and could not find anything that explicitly
      said
      what type ought to be used. Just wondering if any of you ran into a
      similar
      problem.

      I wanted to install windows 2000 on a machine that had win 98. Here's
      what I did:
      . defragged the drive.
      . used fips to create a second partition.
      . tried to format the partition from win98 which complained that the
      drive was
      not accessible.
      . I remembered vaguely about windows not liking 2 primary FAT
      partitions, so I
      created an extended partition and a logical FAT32 partition (WITH
      LBA ie partition
      type 0xC) using linux fdisk. Windows still didn't like that
      partition. I tried
      setting the second partition's type to 0xB (ie FAT32 without LBA)
      and that worked.

      I tried digging up info on the difference between these partition
      types and here's
      what I got from M$:

      "Two new partition types are defined: 0xB and 0xC. Both indicate FAT32
      volumes;
      type 0xC indicates a FAT32 partition that requires Extended Int 13h
      support--
      that is, logical block addressing (LBA)."

      What still puzzles me is that windows uses 0xC for the primary
      partition but does not like
      that partition type for the logical partition. I am using a 40GB
      disk, so the BIOS
      should use LBA to talk to the disk controller. Win98 should use int
      13h extensions
      to talk to the BIOS - so all partitions should have a type of 0xC. I
      am surprised
      a partition type of 0xB should work at all and if it did, how come
      that is not used
      for the primary partition. I wanted to figure out if this was a valid
      configuration
      - just to make sure that windows will not crap out on me later, but no
      luck.

      Thanks,

      Arvind