Incorrect partition table - how to fix?

  • boiler77_81
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2006
      My boot drive has issues. The machine does not boot. I ran
      the "Ranish Partition Manager" on the drive. The following are in red
      font in the report screen:

      First section
      2 >Pri Windows Fat-32 LBA 0 1 1 9,963 254 63 80,035,798

      Lower right section
      1> Fat-32 78,159

      Lower left section

      Starting:536,879,167
      Partition size: 696,942,509

      Complete report as follows:

      Hard Disk 1 78,167 Mbytes[ 9,964 cylinders x 255 heads x 63 sectors]

      File Starting Ending Partition
      # Type Row System Type Cyl Head Sect Cyl Head Sect Size[KB]
      0 MBR Master Boot record 0 0 1 0 0 1 0
      1 Pri Unused 0 0 2 0 0 63 31
      2 >Pri Windows Fat-32 LBA 0 1 1 9,963 254 63 80,035,798
      3 Pri Unused 9,964 0 1 9,964 254 63 7,434

      MBR

      # Partition Size
      1> Fat-32 78,159
      2 Unused 0
      3 Unused 0
      4 Unused 0

      With the "2 Pri Windows Fat-32 .." line highlighted:

      Volume label: Starting: 536,879,167 Used
      System id: mSwIn 4.1 Drive num 128 0M
      Filesystem: FaT 32 Minimum size: 1,073,844,58524,338M
      Cluster Size: 16K Partition size: 696,942,509 340,303M
      FAT Size 268,459,459,08 Maximun size: 160,071,597 78,159M
    • Antoine Leca
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
        > My boot drive has issues. The machine does not boot. I ran
        > the "Ranish Partition Manager" on the drive. The following are in red
        > font in the report screen:

        > Volume label: Starting: 536,879,167 Used
        > System id: mSwIn 4.1 Drive num 128 0M
        > Filesystem: FaT 32 Minimum size: 1,073,844,58524,338M
        > Cluster Size: 16K Partition size: 696,942,509 340,303M
        > FAT Size 268,459,459,08 Maximun size: 160,071,597 78,159M

        All of this seems pretty strange (the most surprising is "FaT 32" for
        "FAT 32"). I suspect some strange bootrecord, perhaps infected by a
        virus, or having had some reading/writing problem recently.

        First thing first, make sure it is not anything related with a corrupted
        copy of RPM of some sort, so download a fresh copy to another floppy and
        check from it; also check if the floppy is operating correctly (boot
        some DOS, and do a full surface check of both floppies).

        Go for any disk repairing tools (either floppy or CD based) that know
        about FAT-32; then proceed. Do backup of the data as soon as possible.
        Also check the cable.

        Another idea might be to move the disk to another computer (as slave),
        BUT first check there are no virus before attempting to mount it. If
        unsure ask for help from someone else, since if you make wrong things,
        the virus might propagate...

        It does not seem to be anything related with RPM by itself.

        Antoine
      • Scott G.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
          I have already tried to mount the disk in another XP machine as a slave. It indicated that the disk was not formated. Most of the other tools I have tried have indicated that there is not a partition table on the drive.

          Thanks,

          Scott

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
            OK, I got it better a bit now. Please understand I am just imagining
            what your problem can be, so I can be perfectly wrong!

            Your disk seems badly damaged to me.

            First you've to understand that communications with the disk follow a
            16-bit path. So if one line out of 16 is damaged, it shows effect only
            every two bytes.
            Next is the fact that a bad line will be handled as 1 by the TTL logic
            (either side). So bad communications will force a bit out of 16 to be 1
            always.
            My guess is that it is bit 12, i.e. it ORs 0x20 on the odd byte, which
            is the same as ORing 0x2000 to each 16-bit word. ORing 0x20 to a letter
            have the effect to force lower case. You should do a hexa dump of the
            boot record to verify my hypothesis, since a sector is always written in
            its entirity. (I shall now assume this holds.)

            Since the MBR (or is it RPM "backup"?) does not seem affected, while the
            boot record is, my guess is that some corruption occured last time the
            boot record was written. So I predict that damage is limited.

            With a little of patience, one can probably reconstruct the content of
            the boot parameter block (first ~80 bytes of the first sector of the
            volume) by *clearing* those bits which are incorrectly set, which will
            allow any tool to more or less "mount" the disk. If only the bootrecord
            has been brocken, you are done: just rewrite the executable content of
            the boot record (FIXBOOT does that) and it should boot OK. If not,
            you'll have to continue reconstructing the disk (I have no idea how much
            it can be damaged this way).

            If you did not understand the above, your best bet is probably to call
            those companies which try to recover datas from damaged disks.

            Hope this helps, and do not forget I can be completely wrong.

            Antoine

            Scott wrote:
            > I have already tried to mount the disk in another XP machine
            > as a slave. It indicated that the disk was not formated. Most
            > of the other tools I have tried have indicated that there is
            > not a partition table on the drive.
            >
            > Antoine Leca <aleca@...> wrote:
            > > My boot drive has issues. The machine does not
            > boot. I ran
            > > the "Ranish Partition Manager" on the drive. The following
            > are in red
            > > font in the report screen:
            >
            > > Volume label: Starting: 536,879,167 Used
            > > System id: mSwIn 4.1 Drive num 128 0M
            > > Filesystem: FaT 32 Minimum size: 1,073,844,58524,338M
            > > Cluster Size: 16K Partition size: 696,942,509 340,303M
            > > FAT Size 268,459,459,08 Maximun size: 160,071,597 78,159M
            >
            > All of this seems pretty strange (the most surprising is "FaT
            > 32" for "FAT 32"). I suspect some strange bootrecord, perhaps
            > infected by a virus, or having had some reading/writing
            > problem recently.
            >
            > First thing first, make sure it is not anything related with
            > a corrupted copy of RPM of some sort, so download a fresh
            > copy to another floppy and check from it; also check if the
            > floppy is operating correctly (boot some DOS, and do a full
            > surface check of both floppies).
            >
            > Go for any disk repairing tools (either floppy or CD based)
            > that know about FAT-32; then proceed. Do backup of the data
            > as soon as possible. Also check the cable.
            >
            > Another idea might be to move the disk to another computer
            > (as slave), BUT first check there are no virus before
            > attempting to mount it. If unsure ask for help from someone
            > else, since if you make wrong things, the virus might propagate...
            >
            > It does not seem to be anything related with RPM by itself.
          • JESSE LAROCQUE
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
              Hi Scott,
              If there is any data on that drive that you would like to "Rescue" ..
              I would get an External USB Hard Drive Adapter .. switch the Hard drive Jumper to "Master" (If it is an IDE Drive) .. and Plug it in.

              Boot a computer using Knoppix Version 5 ( Linux Live CD) and access the Drive in question in that manner. You will see an "Icon" on the Knoppix Desktop that says "Sda1" or something like that .. .. that will be your Messed up hard drive. .. Click on it

              Linux can access Hard drives this way .. SOMETIMES ..even if Windows "Sings the blues" about I "Cant read it".

              Copy all your Data off onto USB Pen Drive. Change the read write mode on the pen drive first.

              I just did this last night on a drive from an XP box ... Bad MBR .. Bad partition ,, Dirty Bit detected .. etc..

              Good luck with your mission, Jesse

              "Scott G." <boiler77_81@...> wrote: I have already tried to mount the disk in another XP machine as a slave. It indicated that the disk was not formated. Most of the other tools I have tried have indicated that there is not a partition table on the drive.

              Thanks,

              Scott

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
                Thanks! I will give it a shot.

                JESSE LAROCQUE <basketman65a@...> wrote: Hi Scott,

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
                  I just booted Knopix and when I clicked on the drive I got an error message which said:

                  "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblcok on dev/hda1

                  missing codepage or other error"

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 6, 2007
                    Hmmmmm,

                    Sounds like it is Time for :

                    http://www.runtime.org/

                    Sorry Linux did not do the job for you this time, Jesse

                    Antoine Leca <aleca@...> wrote:
                    > My boot drive has issues. The machine does not boot. I ran
                    > the "Ranish Partition Manager" on the drive. The following are in red
                    > font in the report screen:

                    > Volume label: Starting: 536,879,167 Used
                    > System id: mSwIn 4.1 Drive num 128 0M
                    > Filesystem: FaT 32 Minimum size: 1,073,844,58524,338M
                    > Cluster Size: 16K Partition size: 696,942,509 340,303M
                    > FAT Size 268,459,459,08 Maximun size: 160,071,597 78,159M

                    All of this seems pretty strange (the most surprising is "FaT 32" for
                    "FAT 32"). I suspect some strange bootrecord, perhaps infected by a
                    virus, or having had some reading/writing problem recently.

                    First thing first, make sure it is not anything related with a corrupted
                    copy of RPM of some sort, so download a fresh copy to another floppy and
                    check from it; also check if the floppy is operating correctly (boot
                    some DOS, and do a full surface check of both floppies).

                    Go for any disk repairing tools (either floppy or CD based) that know
                    about FAT-32; then proceed. Do backup of the data as soon as possible.
                    Also check the cable.

                    Another idea might be to move the disk to another computer (as slave),
                    BUT first check there are no virus before attempting to mount it. If
                    unsure ask for help from someone else, since if you make wrong things,
                    the virus might propagate...

                    It does not seem to be anything related with RPM by itself.

                    Antoine

                  • garry
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 21, 2007
                      you might want to try this free partition rescue program. Gary

                      http://software.techrepublic.com.com/download.aspx?
                      &cname=Utilities+and+Drivers+-+Windows&licfilter=free&docid=182977

                      --- In partman@yahoogroups.com, "boiler77_81" <boiler77_81@...> wrote:

                      > My boot drive has issues. The machine does not boot. I ran
                      > the "Ranish Partition Manager" on the drive. The following are in
                      red
                      > font in the report screen:
                      >
                      > First section
                      > 2 >Pri Windows Fat-32 LBA 0 1 1 9,963 254 63
                      80,035,798

                      > Lower right section
                      > 1> Fat-32 78,159
                      >
                      > Lower left section
                      >
                      > Starting:536,879,167
                      > Partition size: 696,942,509
                      >

                      > Complete report as follows:
                      >
                      > Hard Disk 1 78,167 Mbytes[ 9,964 cylinders x 255 heads x 63
                      sectors]

                      > File Starting Ending
                      Partition
                      > # Type Row System Type Cyl Head Sect Cyl Head Sect Size
                      [KB]
                      > 0 MBR Master Boot record 0 0 1 0 0
                      1 0
                      > 1 Pri Unused 0 0 2 0 0 63