Reference on Windows XP

  • oxbowarcher
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
      I am an experienced RPM user but not much with WinXP. I know a little
      bit. If I have a DOS or Win9x partition on a drive and then I install
      Win XP on the drive, WinXP overwrites a system file on the other parts
      and makes them unbootable. Also, WinXP puts some files on those parts
      and claims them as it's own. Also the boot partition isn't necessarily
      Drive C:. Also, WinXP doesn't necessarily affect the parts on a second
      HD. I don't know much of the details. I have found that WinXP leaves
      the parts alone if I say they are LINUX or some other non-microsoft
      type.

      I want to find an article or webpage that explains how partitions
      and/or drives are hooked together by WinXP. I don't understand that at
      all. I mean, what data does XP put in a partition and how does it use
      that data, how can you tinker with the data, etc. ? Can someone point
      me to a FAQ or archives or other sources that give an explanation of
      how XP works in this respect? Also, if someone has put together info
      on using RPM with WinXP I would like to see it.

      Thank you.
      Bill S.
    • John Rabarts
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
        Hello Bill, what version of XP do you have installed? Home or Professional? What service packs are included? SP1, and SP2? If you have bought new recently then they will automatically be included. But if you bought an old copy of XP then they may not be included. Support for those not updated with SP2 ceased last month. But you shouldn't need to look too hard to find the SP2 CD. they appeared free by the million in magazines and from Microsoft. Probably still get them from microsoft on request. They are a light blue colour.
        So why is this important? My experience has been that the "better" the version (i.e. Pro being "better" than Home the more XP interfered or obstructed non Microsoft software. This was then expanded through SP1 (about 2002 I think) and even more so in SP2 (about 2004 from memory). To the point that I have kept one of my laptops "SP2 free", - and find it the most reliable version of XP I have. There is a good guide to installing SP2 which came from an Australian magazine*, but I'd installed SP2 on 7 computers before I got it. We continue to live with the problems that created. - especially with any open source software.
        None of this helps you with your problems. But is just an alert that Win XP as you describe comes in vary forms of difficulty in dealing with your problem, and those much wiser than me in that resect may appreciate a little more in formation on the size and shape of your XP "beast".

        Regards, John R.
        * I could lend you this if you need it, but where in the world are you? I'm in New Zealand.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2006
          From: "oxbowarcher"

          > I want to find an article or webpage that explains how partitions
          > and/or drives are hooked together by WinXP.

          Try Google etc for that.

          XP monitors all drives for System Restore, you can turn that off on drives
          not touched by the operating system. I believe the files are associated with
          that.

          If you partition a drive then install XP it is so clever that it rearranges
          the partition table so it cannot finish the setup until you put them back to
          the original order.

          Alan
        • oxbowarcher
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2006
            I have WinXP Home Edition with SP2.

            Bill S.

            --- In partman@yahoogroups.com, "John Rabarts" <john.rabarts@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello Bill, what version of XP do you have installed? Home or
            Professional? What service packs are included? SP1, and SP2? If you
            have bought new recently then they will automatically be included.
            But if you bought an old copy of XP then they may not be included.
            Support for those not updated with SP2 ceased last month. But you
            shouldn't need to look too hard to find the SP2 CD. they appeared
            free by the million in magazines and from Microsoft. Probably still
            get them from microsoft on request. They are a light blue colour.
            > So why is this important? My experience has been that the "better"
            the version (i.e. Pro being "better" than Home the more XP interfered
            or obstructed non Microsoft software. This was then expanded through
            SP1 (about 2002 I think) and even more so in SP2 (about 2004 from
            memory). To the point that I have kept one of my laptops "SP2 free", -
            and find it the most reliable version of XP I have. There is a good
            guide to installing SP2 which came from an Australian magazine*, but
            I'd installed SP2 on 7 computers before I got it. We continue to live
            with the problems that created. - especially with any open source
            software.
            > None of this helps you with your problems. But is just an alert
            that Win XP as you describe comes in vary forms of difficulty in
            dealing with your problem, and those much wiser than me in that
            resect may appreciate a little more in formation on the size and
            shape of your XP "beast".

            > Regards, John R.
            > * I could lend you this if you need it, but where in the world are
            you? I'm in New Zealand.

          • oxbowarcher
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2006
              I haven't started setting up the XP system again but if I remember
              correctly there's options that could mean the boot partition ends up
              being an extended partition. Also there is the question of using
              NTFS or FAT32. Also it does weird stuff if you have anything else on
              the drive - even if you juat have a big area of unpartitioned space.
              I don't exactly recall. I was hoping that someone, a Ranish user,
              had tinkered with all of that and wrote down some of the details.
              I'm hoping to find and read something like that before I get
              started. My objective is to setup a system where I can just pick and
              choose partitions, move them around to other parts or HDs with Norton
              Ghost just like in the good old days. With XP there's a lot of
              pitfalls I ran into before.

              Bill S.

              --- In partman@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <g4zfq@...> wrote:

> [...]
            • Joe Ouellette
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2006
                --- In partman@yahoogroups.com, "oxbowarcher" <mr.correct@...> wrote:

                > I have WinXP Home Edition with SP2.
                >
                > Bill S.
                >
                > --- In partman@yahoogroups.com, "John Rabarts" <john.rabarts@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello Bill, what version of XP do you have installed? Home or
                > Professional? What service packs are included? SP1, and SP2? If
                you
                > have bought new recently then they will automatically be included.
                > But if you bought an old copy of XP then they may not be included.
                > Support for those not updated with SP2 ceased last month. But you
                > shouldn't need to look too hard to find the SP2 CD. they appeared
                > free by the million in magazines and from Microsoft. Probably
                still
                > get them from microsoft on request. They are a light blue colour.
                > > So why is this important? My experience has been that
                the "better"
                > the version (i.e. Pro being "better" than Home the more XP
                interfered
                > or obstructed non Microsoft software. This was then expanded
                through
                > SP1 (about 2002 I think) and even more so in SP2 (about 2004 from
                > memory). To the point that I have kept one of my laptops "SP2
                free", -
                > and find it the most reliable version of XP I have. There is a
                good
                > guide to installing SP2 which came from an Australian magazine*,
                but
                > I'd installed SP2 on 7 computers before I got it. We continue to
                live
                > with the problems that created. - especially with any open source
                > software.
                > > None of this helps you with your problems. But is just an alert
                > that Win XP as you describe comes in vary forms of difficulty in
                > dealing with your problem, and those much wiser than me in that
                > resect may appreciate a little more in formation on the size and
                > shape of your XP "beast".
                > >
                > > Regards, John R.
                > > * I could lend you this if you need it, but where in the world
                are
                > you? I'm in New Zealand.

                I have observed that Microsoft has completely revamped the Disk
                Operating System ("DOS") with the advent of the 64 bit systems, and
                especially with regard to Intel's "new" version of the 64 bit
                system. From the Microsoft viewpoint, you can no longer "fdisk" a
                hard drive, you have to "diskpart" the hard drive. Microsoft does
                have some information on their website in this regards.

                I tried to use Norton's Partition Magic, but had to rely on their
                Asian subcontinent help system to absolutely no avail. I had to
                browbeat them because they could only verbatim repeat the limited
                garbage in the documentation. When I finally demanded to speak to
                the supervisor, they took my e-mail address, telling me that they
                would get back to me within an hour. A week later, I received an e-
                mail that was somewhat helpfull. I still blew the installation and
                had to completely reconfigure. I don't know how Ghost works, but
                from that experience with Norton, I now question the functionality
                of all of their products.

                Best of luck! Ciao, Joe
              • Arvind Gangwar
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006
                  I have a Pentium III processor configuration PC with intel chipset inside. Since few months ago i am not using UPS.
                  While booting my system, sometimes it boots up normally but most of the times it prints a message
                  "disk boot failure"
                  "Insert System Disk"

                  I don't know what is the exact problem with my Hard Disk Drive..
                  I also analysed the hard disk drives with Norton Disk Doctor..
                  But the problem is still on its way?
                  Could anyone suggest a solution...?
                  Arvind

                • Oliver Nickalls
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 8, 2006
                    It could be something simple like leaving a floppy disk in the drive...
                    Try making sure all the CD & floppy drives are empty and disconnect all usb
                    devices so the only drive the computer can access while booting is the hard
                    drive.

                    It might be a loose connection cable (though unlikely...).

                    I would assume that it isn't a bad cluster or anything like that in a system
                    area- even norton should pick up something like that. Mind you- it
                    shouldn't boot at all if that's the case!

                    On the other hand this sounds rather ominous. In intermittent fault with
                    the hard drive preventing boot? I would back up everything in sight and
                    assume the hard drive was on its last legs.
                    You can usually get specific hard drive tools from the makers of the hard
                    drive. Download the tool from the manufacturer's website and you'll
                    probably have to boot from a floppy for it to work but it picks up faults
                    that higher level tools (like norton and scandisk) don't find.

                    I had an old maxtor which seemed to work fine but stopped working as the
                    bootable drive. It worked fine as the secondary drive but windows reliably
                    failed to boot a couple of restarts after installation! I basically bought
                    a new drive (faster too!), kept the old maxtor as a secondary and the
                    problem never returned.
                    The maxtor did show a 'terminal fault' or something like that on the maxtor
                    tool though...

                    Anyway- the takehome points:
                    1- Backup everything on that drive.
                    2- Remove all removable media including usb connections (except mouse &
                    keyboard!)
                    3- Try the manufacturer's test software from their website.

                    Good luck!

                    -Oli

                    http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters