RE: [partman] reread MBR

  • Antoine Leca
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
      > How can i force RPM to forget its internal partition table of a
      > particular disk and simply reread the partition
      > table from the MBR and accept is as is?

      F3 Undo ?

      Antoine

    • Doc Chiron
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2006
        Doc Chiron here:
        Unless you have created a Ranish Boot Manager partition, RPM does NOT
        remember your partition configuration, but rather recreates that list based
        solely in the existing MBR and any Extended partition chain as well as the
        CHS configuration as reported by the BIOS.
        If you are using the TEXT 25x80 BM, then you also need to have created the
        Ranish Partition.
        If you create more than 4 PRIMARY partitions, such that some must remain
        off-line, it is prudent to have the Ranish partition to keep track of those
        off-line partitions.

        I saw the reply message that said [F3] was the undo key. Writing this from
        within WinXP I cannot try to learn its affect now. I suspect one of two
        possible usages:

        * As partitions are newly created, but [F2] has NOT been pressed, then
        pressing [F3] may re-read the existing partition table data and display
        those values.
        * Ranish MAY store a copy of the initially read partition table(s)
        data such that pressing [F3] may restore that original partition table data
        regardless of whether [F2] was pressed. This case may turn out to be less
        useful in case the partition volume data was formatted or otherwise
        overwritten (e.g. by having been COPYed over).

        I now suspect the former action is more likely.

        Your question appears to imply the existance of the Ranish partition. When
        RPM starts up and gathers the CHS config data from the BIOS and the
        partition table(s) data, it compares that to the stored list. If they
        disagree, RPM displays the data read from the drive! It doesn't discard
        (i.e. overwrite) its stored data until [F2] is pressed, then the currently
        displayed data becomes the new stored data. But, if instead of pressing
        [F2], the user presses [F7], then the stored data is written to the MBR (and
        any EBRs). In that case it is necessary to ESC from RPM and restart it to
        display the newly read drive partition data that should now agree with the
        stored data.
        DOC

        How can i force RPM to forget its internal partition table of a
        particular disk and simply reread the partition
        table from the MBR and accept is as is?
        Thank you
        Tibor