Have a problem

  • Leadley S. Francis
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2005
      need a F-Disk for an Eighty GB. HD
      IBM Deskstar ATA / IDE

      Q 1] Is there a Freeware one out there

      Q 2] Also will need to partition it

      Q 3] And should i put Linux on first then Win98

      Q 4] Is there anything else I should know

      and if possible how do I correct a ERROR [ old HD that is giving a lot
      of trouble]
      OE @ 0028:C02A90CC in VXD VWIN32 (5) +00000BF4
    • Antoine Leca
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26, 2005
        Sorry if I cannot answer you in the same "SMS" style.

        Leadley S. Francis wrote:
        > Q 1] Is there a Freeware one out there

        Please be more precise. Ranish Partition Manager is not freeware in the
        usual sense, however if you use it personnaly for less than 10 years, you
        only need to send a postcard to Mikhail.

        > Q 2] Also will need to partition it

        The very job of a "fdisk" is to partition.

        > Q 3] And should i put Linux on first then Win98

        Rather the reverse. Win98 will wipe your MBR (one of the thing a 'fdisk'
        writes) anyway, so whatever order you choose, you probably will have to fire
        the 'fdisk' program after installing it; BTW, don't try to run fdisk
        programs from within Windows, it won't work; you have to go down to the "dos
        prompt", either by "exiting" from Windows ("restart in DOS mode") or by not
        allowing the GUI to start by pressing F8 at start up.

        > Q 4] Is there anything else I should know

        When it comes to partition, there is always something else you should know,
        that's why such a list exists more than 24 years after the introduction of
        FDISK with the PC-XT !

        But you should be a bit more precise about what you want to do.

        BTW, if you do not have any definite idea about your partitioning scheme,
        NOW is the moment to think rather than to act!

        Read about the links from the website (http://www.ranish.com/part/) Doc
        Chiron used to name it "the required readings" and he is quite right... You
        will learn that to efficiently use RPM you probably will end with a sheet of
        paper. Now, if you have done the planning correctly, you should be able to
        have a decent draft of this very sheet (perhaps with not all numbers right,
        that is why you need the paper output ;-))

        > and if possible how do I correct a ERROR

        Quite easy: allow you a bunch of hours to make trials (i.e., don't do this
        in a hurry), and TRY with your new disk WITHOUT using it effectively to
        create new files. This way you can easily replay it from start if anything
        is not OK. When you are reasonably sure you are right, do the official
        switch.

        You better have to be able to browse the web and/or send and consult e-mails
        in some way if you do not have all resources handy (think of this _before_
        fiddling with the harddisk cables).

        > [ old HD that is giving a lot of trouble]
        > OE @ 0028:C02A90CC in VXD VWIN32 (5) +00000BF4

        Windows does have a bunch of tools to test the hardware. Then you can use
        the tools provided by your hardware vendor. Do this after ensuring you have
        backups of everything you might need.

        Partitionning is purely a software matter, likewise is Windows. If a
        harddisk is giving problems, it could ALSO be a hard problem, and
        repartionning or reinstallaing Windows would be no help here (but switching
        to a new disk will).

        Antoine