cannot see partition from DOS boot floppy

  • eps_s
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
      Hi all,

      Upgraded recently from 8Gb to EIDE 80Gb hdd.
      Made 3 primary + 5 extended/logical partitions
      Last logical partition was created as FAT16 with ranish, for XOSL with
      100Mb

      I am trying to install XOSL in that last partition.
      But when booting from floppy, I cannot access/see that partition.
      Any clues ?
      Is it that DOS cannot see partitions with a hdd over xxGb size ?

      Thanks
    • Dermot Moynihan
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
        Forget about having a FAT16 partition for XOSL. Use RPM to create a
        dedicated partition for XOSL. QNY 4.x works well.
        Don't have it as the last partition. Win9x has some bug that can give
        some problems if your last partition is a non-FAT partition (Or
        something like that. I haven't paid too much attention to it - I just
        know enough to ensure that I always have a FAT partition as my last
        logical! If you wish to know more it's a case of RTFM, I'm afraid).
        What you might consider doing is dividing up your current XOSL FAT16
        partition into two partitions - one for XOSL, as mentioned above, of
        about 32MB (that's plenty) and the remainder can be your FAT partition
        to avoid the above mentioned bug. Though the latter can be smaller if
        you wish. Off the top of my head, I can't remember what is the smallest
        you can have a FAT16 partition (around 30MB or so I would imagine).

        By the way, you certainly won't be able to see your QNY4.x partition
        with a boot floppy. Though that won't stop you installing/restoring XOSL
        onto that partition.
        d.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
          > Win9x has some bug that can give
          > some problems if your last partition is a non-FAT partition (Or
          > something like that. I haven't paid too much attention to it - I just
          > know enough to ensure that I always have a FAT partition as my last
          > logical! If you wish to know more it's a case of RTFM, I'm afraid).

          "If the last partition in any extended partition is not a FAT partition,
          each disk cannot contain more than one primary FAT partition. If this
          rule is not followed, data damage can occur"

          http://www.partitionsupport.com/partitionnotes.htm

          http://www.eggheadcafe.com/ng/microsoft.public.win98.disks.general/post21077661.asp

          So, if puting XOSL in it's own dedicated partition (i.e. non-FAT), and
          if that is the last logical partition "data damage can occur".
          The last partition, if FAT, should also not be hidden.
          As I mentioned earlier the cure/prevention is easy - have a small FAT
          partition at the end of the drive.
          d.
        • doc_chiron
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
            Doc Chiron here:

            Absent any official Micro$oft partitition spec's, we usually go by
            what FDISK does, and the tradition it has inspired.
            FDISK partition size increments are by cylinder count.
            Therefore for the most common HDD head/sector arrangement of 255/63,
            then one cylinder is 255 heads x 63 sectors x 0.5KB/sector = 8032.5KB
            or about 8MB.

            Yes, RPM (and FDISK) will allow you to make a 1 cylinder partition. I
            do not remember how much space XOSL requires, but if it fits
            uncompressed on a 1.44MB floppy it'll fit in one 8MB partition.
            I think I remember that XOSL must be the last program that writes to
            the BOOT code area of the MBR, I think because it contains a non-
            partition table pointer to the XOSL partition. (I hope I'm not
            confusing this with RPM which DOES work that way.)

            FAT16 formatted partitions are limited to approx 2GB.
            FAT32 partitions CAN be up to 128GiB using 28-bit IDE BIOS drivers
            and reach to 2.2 terabytes in size using 48-bit IDE BIOS (and
            compatible IDE controller ICs) support.
            48-bit IDE hardware can reach to Petabytes in size, but current
            partition table software support is limited to the increase from
            28BIT to 32BIT LBA sector values. (There is currently NO 48-bit LBA
            support beyond the 32 bits that fit in the partition table sector
            start and size fields, without a revised partition table standard.)

            Using DOS 7.1 (+ up) supports LBA partition types FAT16x FAT32x EXTx.
            I know that without those types you will be limited to about 8GB
            drive access. With them, you might be able to reach the top of your
            80GB drive, but somehow I feel I've forgotten something that might
            prevent that.

            This link and its related internal links should have the info you
            need.
            http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/part.htm
          • Elcaro db210g
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
              Hi

              I've lost my table of partition made with Partition Magic, and then the hard disk can't be seen. I tried with my rescue diskette, but it fails (Murphy, it's present!!!).

              Then I tried with a LiveLinux booting from CDROM, the only that I may see is the whole disk, but without partition. Then it was impossible to mount the partition to make a backup.

              If someone of us, know how I may solve this problem, I will thank very much indeed.

              In the rescue disk the only thing I can see that I've made used Partition Magic 5.0, I tried with pboot but it doesn't work because there isn't information, the same happen with pminfo.

              Well, I'm waiting for someone to give an idea, what I may do? I need the information that I've in the disk. It is mounted in an old notebook Compaq 1700 Armada, and the disk is an IBM of 14 Gb.

              Thank for your time

              Elcaro

            • Dermot Moynihan
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
                Elcaro,
                You may not have noticed but Doc has replied to your earlier appeal. Try
                using TESTDISK as he suggested and see what happens. #

                Don't accept immediately the first option it gives you. Think about what
                you are doing. But finally you will have to make a decision as to
                whether to accept what it finds and agree for it to write that in place
                of what is already there or indeed missing. And live with the
                consequences. But TESTDISK is very good.

                You can get it from:
                http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html

                There's a tutorial at:
                http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1139&page=8

                Further info from:
                http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/TestDisk.shtml

                extract follows:

                "TestDisk was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or
                make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by
                faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as
                accidentally erasing your Partition Table).

                TestDisk queries the BIOS ( DOS/Win9x) or the OS ( Linux, FreeBSD) in
                order to find the Hard Disks and their characteristics ( LBA size and
                CHS geometry). TestDisk does a quick check of your disk's structure and
                compares it with your Partition Table for entry errors. If the Partition
                Table has entry errors, TestDisk can repair them. If you have missing
                partitions or a completely empty Partition Table, TestDisk can search
                for partitions and create a new Table or even a new MBR if necessary.

                However, it's up to the user to look over the list of possible
                partitions found by TestDisk and to select the one(s) which were being
                used just before the drive failed to boot or the partition(s) were lost.
                In some cases, especially after initiating a detailed search for lost
                partitions, TestDisk may show partition data which is simply from the
                remnants of a partition that had been deleted and overwritten long ago.

                TestDisk has features for both novices and experts. For those who know
                little or nothing about data recovery techniques, the command line
                parameters /log and /debug can be used to collect detailed information
                about a non-booting drive which can then be sent to a tech for further
                analysis. Those more familiar with such procedures should find TestDisk
                a handy tool in performing onsite recovery.

                Works with the following partitions:
                · FAT12 FAT16 FAT32
                · NTFS (Windows NT/W2K/XP/...)
                · EXT2/EXT3 (Linux)
                · BeFS (BeOS)
                · BSD disklabel
                · CramFS
                · IBM Multiboot
                · JFS
                · Linux SWAP (version 1 and 2)
                · NSS (Netware)
                · ReiserFS 3.5/3.6
                · XFS"

                Good luck
                Dermot

                Elcaro db210g wrote:
                > Hi
                >
                > I've lost my table of partition made with Partition Magic, and then the hard disk can't be seen. I tried with my rescue diskette, but it fails (Murphy, it's present!!!).
                >
                > Then I tried with a LiveLinux booting from CDROM, the only that I may see is the whole disk, but without partition. Then it was impossible to mount the partition to make a backup.
                >
                > If someone of us, know how I may solve this problem, I will thank very much indeed.
                >
                > In the rescue disk the only thing I can see that I've made used Partition Magic 5.0, I tried with pboot but it doesn't work because there isn't information, the same happen with pminfo.
                >
                > Well, I'm waiting for someone to give an idea, what I may do? I need the information that I've in the disk. It is mounted in an old notebook Compaq 1700 Armada, and the disk is an IBM of 14 Gb.
                >
                > Thank for your time
                >
                > Elcaro
              • doc_chiron
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
                  Dermot:
                  I couldn't have presented that better.
                  Too bad we don't have a FAQ that we can add that to the TOP of as it is
                  a frequent lament of our readers.

                  Doc
                • Dermot Moynihan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 5, 2005
                    doc_chiron wrote:

                    > Too bad we don't have a FAQ

                    Something else for them to ignore?
                    Mind you, maybe we could just beat them into submission - all this
                    ignoring has gotta be arduous.
                    ;)

                    dermot